CNN article on Walmart parking

ToddF

21 hours ago, ToddF said:

I hope some will still allow it.

Walmart used to be a haven for RV parking, but more stores won't allow it

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/business/walmart-rv-overnight-parking/index.html

WalMart has not changed their official policy for overnight parking though, re-read their website.. That CNN article is a "he said" piece, with no comment from WalMart.

The vast majority of parking bans are initiated by local RV parks toward local government that controls where RV's can  park.

https://www.walmartlocator.com/rv-parking-at-walmart/

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

4 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

WalMart has not changed their official policy for overnight parking though, re-read their website.. That CNN article is a "he said" piece, with no comment from WalMart.

The vast majority of parking bans are initiated by local RV parks toward local government that controls where RV's can  park.

https://www.walmartlocator.com/rv-parking-at-walmart/

Yes, it is really more of the local ordinances over Walmart’s policies. I would agree local campgrounds are some of the push. But keep in mind the city is not collecting their taxes when you park at a Walmart. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Oh course there is the possibility in some cases that the local campground is full.  Then  of course you may have to leave the town without spending any money to go to some other place to park even for one night.  All hypothetical of course.

I did leave a place once that treated me poorly right off the bat. I was just driving through and saw their lovely campground and it was so  nice and not one other camper there so I said to myself, Self, I might just stay here for a few days and check the place out and visit local restruants and stores. I'm usually pretty patient but they just got my goat so I moved on without spending a dime.  That resulted in me driving longer  and having to spend the night on a  Wmart parking lot a few towns further east.  And of course you almost can't stop at a Wmart without spending something.

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

Oh course there is the possibility in some cases that the local campground is full.  Then  of course you may have to leave the town without spending any money to go to some other place to park even for one night.  All hypothetical of course.

I did leave a place once that treated me poorly right off the bat. I was just driving through and saw their lovely campground and it was so  nice and not one other camper there so I said to myself, Self, I might just stay here for a few days and check the place out and visit local restruants and stores. I'm usually pretty patient but they just got my goat so I moved on without spending a dime.  That resulted in me driving longer  and having to spend the night on a  Wmart parking lot a few towns further east.  And of course you almost can't stop at a Wmart without spending something.

The sky could be falling also. Was just trying to address the posters post. 

18 hours ago, whj469 said:

That is now so but Walmart has had unleaded fuel for $1.60 per gallon and diesel for $1.74 per gallon near my house for almost a year now! Several stations near by have lowered their prices to match Walmart's! The FlyingJ diesel is $2.29.

In my opinion walmart w***es themselves out to get the sale. 

Edited by kurtsara

8 hours ago, rynosback said:

Yes, it is really more of the local ordinances over Walmart’s policies. I would agree local campgrounds are some of the push. But keep in mind the city is not collecting their taxes when you park at a Walmart. 

Big cities might get taxes but when you camp in my town campground instead of walmart the town gets no tax money

2 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Maybe they are simply using available tools to do what they are in business to do : sell . 

So buy available tools you mean making some companies make some stuff cheaper with a different model number than the same item at another store so they can sell cheaper?

6 hours ago, rynosback said:

he sky could be falling also. Was just trying to address the posters post. 

Was meant to be tongue in cheek for the first part. The second part I was just being an old guy relating a sort of humorous true story that I experienced.  I think I have cabin fever from the Covid situation.

Please don't  tell me now that the sky is falling.  I might just believe it and I have enough to worry about.😀 Also if it gets to upper levels of the government it might get tweeted out as fact.

1 hour ago, kurtsara said:

So buy available tools you mean making some companies make some stuff cheaper with a different model number than the same item at another store so they can sell cheaper?

I think it means that they are attracting customers by letting folks stay there overnight. And it is usually a group with decent amount of  disposable income to spend. I know I buy most of my groceries there. Get oil changes and buy tires plus more.  Most business do things to attract customers. I know I have occaisionally stayed to time arrival at a local campground or even find one sometimes.

It is sad that there are a few that ruin the good things for the many.

As for Walmart for oil changes and tires, I will not let them touch my vehicles.  After they messed up my Mom's car on an oil change and tire balance and rotation.  The tires were not balanced and they stripped the oil plug and over tightened the oil filter.  She went to get her car and it was not where they told her it was.  The moron left the keys in it and did not put it in park or set the E-brake.  It rolled down hill and over a curb into a field.  They did pay for a front end alignment as it went over a curb to get into the field.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I remember shopping at my local grocery store before Walmart's SuperCenter (and also Target SuperCenter) opened and noticed increasing grocery prices. As soon as Walmart and Target opened, the prices on most items dropped 50c to $1.00 or more. I joined Sam's Club as a business member for $100 year even though my needs are limited, they have gained my goodwill for the grocery savings and use of their parking lots a couple of times a year for overnight stops. Walmart also has water dispensers in most of their stores and I like the filtered water for 39c a gallon. And in the town where I prepare taxes, before Walmart you could work for "Mom and Pop" and make minimum wage as a clerk or cashier. Now Walmart employs hundreds of people in our area for liveable wages with health insurance and stock purchase plan options, 401K with match etc. 

I think the CNN article must have been needed on a slow news day, as pointed out, no direct info from Walmart Corporate in the article.

(I've seen W2s from cashiers for 40K+ )

Edited by ToddF

4 hours ago, bigjim said:

Was meant to be tongue in cheek for the first part. The second part I was just being an old guy relating a sort of humorous true story that I experienced.  I think I have cabin fever from the Covid situation.

Please don't  tell me now that the sky is falling.  I might just believe it and I have enough to worry about.😀 Also if it gets to upper levels of the government it might get tweeted out as fact.

LOL, I will not tweet that as you might be right. Look at the doctor recently that was retweeted. What a quack. 

Edited by rynosback

6 hours ago, kurtsara said:

Big cities might get taxes but when you camp in my town campground instead of walmart the town gets no tax money

Every local ordinance is not the same. There is a chance that you may be paying taxes and would never know as it is built into there nightly rate. But a lot of places add taxes after the fact, as it is something that they can not controll. This article might help,

https://www.avalara.com/us/en/blog/2017/05/complicated-camping-taxes-wacky-tax-wednesday.html

8 hours ago, kurtsara said:

I'm just guessing that you have never used an idea , in your personal life , that someone else came up with to improve what ever that idea applied to .

Just guessing ... :D

Goes around , comes around .

On 8/2/2020 at 5:31 PM, Ray,IN said:

On 8/3/2020 at 12:17 PM, ToddF said:

I think the CNN article must have been needed on a slow news day, as pointed out, no direct info from Walmart Corporate in the article.

The article is based on data that is on a website that lists places where overnight parking is or is not allowed.  It's based on reports from subscribers.  He says in 2010, 78% of Walmarts allowed overnight parking, and now it's 58%. 

A Walmart representative said it doesn't track this data.

On 8/7/2020 at 6:39 PM, Blues said:

The article is based on data that is on a website that lists places where overnight parking is or is not allowed.  It's based on reports from subscribers.  He says in 2010, 78% of Walmarts allowed overnight parking, and now it's 58%. 

A Walmart representative said it doesn't track this data.

Click on that walmartlocator hot link I posted, and count the allowed and banned dots. I do not agree with "his" opinion.Where overnight parking is banned, the reason is local ordinance or limited parking lot size. I know one WalMart that does not allow RV or truck parking because the leased lot is shared with a strip-mall; that is common sense to me.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

56 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

leased lot is shared with a strip-mall;

That does make good sense.  I know at least one in Albq. that still allows it in the shared parking but the layout and the amount of customers does not make this a  good one for that. Especially when the balloon festival is going on. IMO there are some that allow it that  I consider it to be inconsiderate to use, especially for larger rigs. Not my call just my feeling about it.

2 minutes ago, bigjim said:

That does make good sense.  I know at least one in Albq. that still allows it in the shared parking but the layout and the amount of customers does not make this a  good one for that. Especially when the balloon festival is going on. IMO there are some that allow it that  I consider it to be inconsiderate to use, especially for larger rigs. Not my call just my feeling about it.

I found out about that particular WM because I called ahead and asked for permission to overnight, which I do whenever possible. I don't even need to know the phone #, I  just tell my cell phone to call that WM location.

20 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Click on that walmartlocator hot link I posted, and count the allowed and banned dots.

That site doesn't state how they compile their data.  It says:

The interactive map below displays the location of Walmart stores across the United States. It also identifies each stores overnight RV parking status. Locations in red indicate stores that have been reported as not allowing overnight parking. If you know of a location that does not allow overnight RV parking, please use this form to submit store information. 

The information presented here is not official. Just because a location is marked with a green dot does not necessarily mean overnight parking is allowed. One must still contact management to seek permission. Likewise, if a location is in red, it does not necessarily mean overnight parking is prohibited; that decision is made by store management.  [Emphasis in original.]

It looks to me like they put all Walmart locations on there with a green dot, and it stays a green dot unless it's changed to red because someone submits a report saying overnight parking isn't permitted.  So a green dot means only that the location exists and overnight parking isn't known to be prohibited.  That's not the same as saying it's known to be allowed.

Edited by Blues

Discussing this with some friends today it dawned on me that I know of at least one Walmart that has signs saying no but if you go inside and ask they will say yes and tell you what area to park in.  I think they use it like the 10 year rule in that if they need to they can say no or if you don't ask they can ask you to leave. It appears they are tolerant up to a point. I have spent 15-30 minutes picking up litter with my litter picker there in the morning just to keep them friendly.