Rv Electrical

Rvdude22

Good afternoon I have recently purchased a 2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS. I am new to the world of RVs. With this in mind me and my wife are going to be living in the Rv full time. We do not plan on moving the rv for awhile since we have nothing big enough to pull it with. The RV is a 50 amp with a single ac at the moment I am planning on adding a second to help cool the rv. We are needing extra fridge and freezer space which we are planning on running a 4.5 cubic ft in the area where the bunk beds are and 5.3 cubic ft deep freezer that will sit out side. We also want to use a portable washer. The only other electronics that will be used is normal stuff that would be used for entertainment. With all of this information for what I am drawing for power. Will I need to do anything special to prevent electrical damage to anything in the rv? Also what are some tips that I should look for or do while living in the rv? Thank you anything is appreciated. 

Edited by Rvdude22

Before you worry about electrical I would worry about weight. You are planning to add a lot of weight to the RV. It is not just the weight of each appliance but when food is added to both. Once you are in the RV, fully loaded get weighed to see  what your weight is. Then you can make some decisions. Don't forget the weight of the additional air conditioner also.

There shouldn’t be any major issues with your plans electrically.  You will need to make sure you are not trying to plug all of the appliances into the same circuit.  Rvs, especially less expensive ones tend to run single circuits for most of the plugs.  You will have to do some testing to see which plugs are on which circuits and make sure you spread the loads appropriately so you don’t plug everything into one circuit and over tax that single circuit breaker.  You will also want to spread the loads properly between line 1 and line 2 in the panel box.

For information, a 50 amp RV panel box actually has 100 amps of available power.  It has two legs (line 1 and line 2) of 50 amps each.  You want to make sure the second air conditioner is added to the opposite line from the current one.  Depending on the current panel box construction you can determine which circuit breakers are on which lines by looking at it.  If the panel box has the main feed breaker on the left side (a 50 amp breaker with two switches connected together), then every other breaker going down the panel from left to right is on the opposite line - line 1 for the first breaker to the right of the main breaker and line 2 for the second breaker to the right of the main breaker and repeating that pattern down the line.  If the panel box has the main feed breaker in the center of the box, then all the breakers to the left of it are on line 1 and all the breakers to the right of it are on line 2.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Our rig came with 50 amp service, but only one A/C.  It is prewired for the second A/C but we prefer to have the Fantastic Fan and the natural light up in the bedroom.  I am happy to have the 50 amp service, and the ability to install the second A/C later if I decide to. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

In regards to the earlier comment about weight. Not only do you have to take the weight that will be on the truck (Gross vehicle weight rating and the weight on the rear axle) but the weight on the trailer axles. From what you say you will be adding significant weight to the axles on the  trailer. You need to see what the axles are rated at. Keep in mind that it is very easy to overload them when the trailer is stocked up. Most trailer manufactures don't give you much room to add weight to the axles. Bets way is to have the trailer weighed and see how much extra weight you can add safely.

3 hours ago, richardbetsey said:

In regards to the earlier comment about weight. Not only do you have to take the weight that will be on the truck (Gross vehicle weight rating and the weight on the rear axle) but the weight on the trailer axles. From what you say you will be adding significant weight to the axles on the  trailer. You need to see what the axles are rated at. Keep in mind that it is very easy to overload them when the trailer is stocked up. Most trailer manufactures don't give you much room to add weight to the axles. Bets way is to have the trailer weighed and see how much extra weight you can add safely.

If I may add, trailer frames are not designed to support much more than the GVWR, although there is a safety factor involved.

Since he is going to setup the trailer permanently, he should use concrete blocks under the frame. The extra refrigerator will be a problem when he goes on the road IMO.

However it's his money to spend as he chooses; he only asked for advice, didn't say he would take it.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 3 months later...
On 7/28/2020 at 11:56 AM, rynosback said:

I find it interesting how the rig came with 50 amps and only has one AC. Usually it would be a 30amp connection with one AC and 50amp when you have two.

Our Newmar has 50 Amp, one AC, and two furnaces. Generalities don't always apply.

Edited by Dennis M
Correction

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

SWharton, you need to be aware that many RV parks prohibit the use of any out door refrigertators or washers.  All appliance have to be within the RV.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

He hasn't returned since July 28; I suspect he has completed his new home setup.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961