Aligning for hitching: TT vs 5th wheel

harrysteven

Is it easier to align the tow vehicle for hitching with a travel trailer or fifth wheel?

Reason for question: Had a Dodge Ram 3500 Crew Cab long bed and Arctic Fox 32' TT attached by a Hensley hitch. The Hensley was great for towing, barely knew the trailer was there, but it was very difficult for us to hitch the trailer and truck together, even with the help of my then better half, who was more adept at it than I was. I'm alone now, and considering going on the road with something smaller, nothing more than 21' or 22'. I don't want to have the problems I previously had hitching. I'm looking for something easier where there is more tolerance when carrying out the alignment. Am I better off with a travel trailer or fifth wheel? Thanks. Harry

This is one of those questions where the answer depends. If you tow with a truck, then generally speaking I would say that the fifth wheel is less difficult as you can look through the back window and see both parts of the hitch. If your truck is a 4-door, crew cab model that is much more difficult to do. If you happen to have one of the newer trucks that has a rear camera to view the hitch area, that would then make it the easier to hitch up. I recently hooked the truck of a friend to a flat trailer to move some equipment and was amazed by how easy it was as I could watch the monitor on the dash and see both the hitch ball on the truck and the hitch of the trailer. I backed up to where it looked like the ball was directly under the hitch, and it was. You might be able to resolve your hitching difficulty by adding such a camera and monitor to your present truck, as they are readily available. I have never towed with a Hensley, but see no reason what it would not be just as effective. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have towed with a Hensley for 13 years. Because you are putting a square peg in a larger square hole, they have to be parallel and on the same plane. This does take more precision than simply positioning the hitch ball under the trailer tongue which can even be done at an angle.. I have found that hitching with the Hensley works best when the trailer and tow vehicle are in a straight line. Putting some tape on the trailer to mark the proper position when looking in the side view mirrors helps a lot. A review camera also helps a lot. I hook up by myself all the time. It does take getting out of the truck to raise/lower the trailer tongue and adjust the angle of the Hensley receiver using the screw jacks.

Not much experience with 5th wheels but believe they have to be backed straight into the receiver.

There is some leeway on the angle of approach with a 5th wheel as long as it's in a straight line.  Or, if you have a flatbed any angle is fair  game.  Just watch the tailswing when you pull out.

A inexpensive license plate mounted camera works wonders for the TT.  I ended up with two camera's for my trailer rear camera and positioned the 2nd so it can see the 5th wheel plate.  I also got a stick on light I've stuck to the pin to make it show better in the screen. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0721NYMJN

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

Before I installed a cheap (<$40) backup system from Amazon, I used a set of alignment balls like this, also from Amazon for hitching to my trailers.

Camco Magnetic Hitch Alignment Kit - Helps You Align Your Hitch | Each Guide Extends Up To 50" for Easy Viewing | System Works With Virtually Any Tow Vehicle and Trailer - (44603)

For our 5ers, I  simply painted a white stripe on the pin box, another on the front of the hitch in the truck. If you can't see your hitch, the same cheap backup camera system mounted on the rear of the cab with velcro works there too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We have several trucks and trailers.  A variety of hitches, ranging from little wimpy utility trailers to full-on commercial semi trailers.  Given a choice, I'll take the fifth-wheel every time.  I can hook up at 90* to the trailer with no issues.  I'll probably have to get out and check alignment if I'm in the one truck with no rear window, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.  Our pick-up has one of those new fangled cameras in the tailgate.  It helps a lot, but it's not foolproof either.  But, consider the fool......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We have rowed both and hooked up both. If I am driving I just do with the wife tells me to do and it always works.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

2 hours ago, richfaa said:

We have rowed both and hooked up both. If I am driving I just do with the wife tells me to do and it always works.

Smartest man in the room!!!!

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

My RAM 3500 has a back-up camera, I can put the ball under a trailer spot on every time.  For my 5th wheel, I picked up a cheap wifi camera, put it on my tail-gate and hit my anderson hitch/ball spot on.  When my loving wife gets involved.... it takes considerable time to hitch up.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Although the wife had never been in a RV before we married she took to the lifestyle real quick. She can do anything any guy can do and many things better. She does most of the towing  as I really do not like to drive. She is a better backer than I am and I do not think I have backed the rig into the driveway and along side the house 10 times over 14 years. She is really handy to have around.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.