RV Inspections

JimSurfs

There is a requirement for vehicle inspection for registration in Texas. If you renew on-line while out of state, you will need to certify that the vehicle is out of state and not available for inspection (done on-line during the renewal process). Then, according to Texas regulations, "Once you return to the state, you must complete a Texas vehicle inspection within three days of arrival at your home, duty station, or destination." We have not spent any time in Texas the past several years and don't know when we'll return. The state continues to mail our registration renewal stickers to our Escapees address each year and we have them forwarded wherever we are.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

We will be returning back into Texas in 2021 and need to get the Motor Home inspected as instructed when we cross the state line.  Is there a lost anywhere of the Inspection stations that will handle Motor Homes?

We will be stopping at an RV park in Denton to start with.  Any information will be greatly appreciated

Here is the inspection site locator:

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/VIactiveStationLocator/

Again, you don't need the inspection if just driving through Texas. You have 3 days to get across.  I don't know the answer but if doing it in or near a big city you may have to have an emission test, also.  We always picked small towns to have it done and was always a quick stop.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Sorry for not being more specific, we are Texas citizens and Escapee members so have the Livingston Texas address as we are Full Timers and been out of State for awhile. So why we need to get the MH inspected as they tell us as soon as we cross back over into Texas.

I know not all inspection stations can accommodate a Large Motor Home and there are a few who do so trying to find out if there is a list of Texas Inspection Stations that can handle the Motor Home other wise I will be having to call each inspection station around where we will be . it will be a full road Trip and stopping in Texas for some period of tie yet to be determined but then yes on through to otehr parts of the Country

In Texas we will be staying in the Denton area for awhile so starting there to see if around that area can handle a Motor Home Inspection or where perhaps the nearest one would be from Denton?

40 minutes ago, Ron & Linda R said:

Sorry for not being more specific, we are Texas citizens and Escapee members so have the Livingston Texas address as we are Full Timers and been out of State for awhile. So why we need to get the MH inspected as they tell us as soon as we cross back over into Texas.

I know not all inspection stations can accommodate a Large Motor Home and there are a few who do so trying to find out if there is a list of Texas Inspection Stations that can handle the Motor Home other wise I will be having to call each inspection station around where we will be . it will be a full road Trip and stopping in Texas for some period of tie yet to be determined but then yes on through to otehr parts of the Country

In Texas we will be staying in the Denton area for awhile so starting there to see if around that area can handle a Motor Home Inspection or where perhaps the nearest one would be from Denton?

If you read my post above, I quoted from the Texas DMV web site: "Once you return to the state, you must complete a Texas vehicle inspection within three days of arrival at your home, duty station, or destination." 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

8 hours ago, bigjim said:

If it is a motorhome I would think it could be done at any place that could do a large truck.

Not every place that services trucks is licensed to do state inspections. Also, if the vehicles are registered in Polk county, you do not want to get the inspected in any of the counties that have smog requirements as those inspections stations are required to do that, even if your registration does not require it. Since you don't need the extra checks, don't get it done in Denton Co. 

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test? Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, El Paso, Ellis, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, and Williamson.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the responses and yes I am aware of all that. The Texas Motor Vehicle page says one needs to call the Inspection station first to see if they can handle the big size Motor Home as most are only set up for the cars and pick up trucks.

I was hoping to find some one in Texas who has had their annual annual Motor Home Inspection done.

We bought our 2015  Motor Home new in Texas so it was taken care of.  We  have been traveling and  out of the state, have traveled through Texas a couple times had our tow car inspected  in Texas but mostly we just do the registration all on line. And as you all know they tell us to stop and have our vehicles inspected as soon as we cross back into the state line.

One year we did come up from Florida with a tow car that need to be inspected so stopped at a small town that did not do the emissions test as we did not need it with the registered Livingston address.  The stations are listed as either doing the emissions test or not so that is how we chose where to stop as we were not going to Livingston.

Has nobody here had the same situation, with a  Motor  Home and vehicles registered in Texas and having to take your Motor Home in for a annual inspection? I know they say if your Motor home is equipped with a OBD plug then the inspection station will do that and our Motor Home does have the OBD plug

I am guessing now Camping World might be one choice if they are a licensed Inspection station so will need to call, but thinking finding a inspection station that can handle the size of a Motor Home might be easier and quicker to get in without an  appointment and wait time? So may just have to call the stations where we cross int Teas and or will be staying in an RV park to find one in the area then that does Motor Homes.

Thanks again for the responses and happy trails to all

If you are in Livingston, there are several places that can do the inspection.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

But the annual inspection requirement is for trailers that exceed 7,500 lbs.

From the TX DPS website.....

Motor homes and RVs with a gross weight over 4,500 pounds are required to have annual safety inspections. ...

I see something different here:

https://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers

More Information

Trailers with a gross weight exceeding 7,500 lbs. must pass an annual safety inspection.

In some cases, you may be asked to provide additional information such as:

• Weight Certificate, and/or
  • Photograph of trailer.

For information about all required documentation and fees, contact your county tax assessor-collector office.

So I guess it’s anyone’s guess?  All I know is that Polk county had no trouble registering and titling my 5500 lb TT without an inspection.

Like Ki

7 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

So I guess it’s anyone’s guess?  All I know is that Polk county had no trouble registering and titling my 5500 lb TT without an inspection.

Like Kirk I thought I had seen the figure 4,500lb listed in the past and even double checked with Livingston and was told the same.  Your links definitly read 7,500lb to me.  When I checked it was really a long time ago. Just wondering when you first did yours.

I''m  sooooooo confused.

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Like Kirk I thought I had seen the figure 4,500lb listed in the past and even double checked with Livingston and was told the same.

It seems that they have changed the weight limit. I found the link that I put the quote from and it was dated from 10+ years ago. Taking the route from the current DPS site I found the 7500#. Like Jim, I didn't realize that it had changed so didn't bother to look for a date on the site that I quoted. 

I got my trailer registered and titled in Texas this past September.  Interesting that they must have increased the weight for trailers at some point.

A friend of mine bought a house near Ft. Worth and moved from California a couple of months before I left California.  Whatever county he registered it in, they wanted him to get a weigh ticket for his trailer (while his is bigger than mine, it’s GVWR is 6700 lbs so still under the 7500 lbs limit) before they would register it without an inspection.  Polk County didn’t require that, they just wanted a photo of the sticker showing the GVWR.  

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

It seems that they have changed the weight limit. I found the link that I put the quote from and it was dated from 10+ years ago. Taking the route from the current DPS site I found the 7500#. Like Jim, I didn't realize that it had changed so didn't bother to look for a date on the site that I quoted. 

I would guess it was at least 10 years ago I checked it.  I am surprised I remember at all. Getting so 10 days is a long memory for me.

I am tickled it was brought up and we got the fresh information. It could possibly affect a future purchase for me.