WDH question

Zman65

Hello All,

I have a 3/4 ton truck and a 34" TT. When connected together, both are level with no WDH. I have been on a few adventures within the state and it seems like all is well. I do use a anti sway bar. Is there any reason I would need a WDH even though level and ride seems smooth?

thx

A WDH exists primarily to equalize the loading on both the truck axles and the trailer axles.  If your truck is not "squatting", the front end doesn't feel light, etc. than you are probably fine without a WDH.  That is a pretty long TT and I'd have thought that a WDH would have been necessary.

The other thing that you should do is get the entire loaded-up rig weighed on a CAT scale to make certain that you're not overloading the rear axle. If so, a WDH will shift some of that weight to the front. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I would suggest getting weights on both the trailer and the truck. Individual wheel weights if at all possible. Many travel trailers depend on tongue weight in additional to the axle ratings to achieve the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of the trailer. Too little tongue weight may result in one or both axles or tires being overloaded. A tongue weight of 10-15% is usually recommended for travel trailers. I towed our current 34', 10,000# trailer with a long bed crew cab 2500 and now 3500 SRW long bed crew cab. The tongue weight of the trailer is normally between 1,100-1200#. The 2500 needed about 3/4 tension on the 1200# spring bars of the WDS. The 3500 needs about 1/4.

25 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Since we returned to part-time and downsized, we have an ultra-lite travel trailer with an aluminum frame that states you should never use a equalizing hitch as it will damage the frame. 

I imagine that you recognize yours is a pretty unusual situation and that the OP's 34' trailer undoubtedly is compatible with a WDH? Right?

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

5 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

I imagine that you recognize yours is a pretty unusual situation and that the OP's 34' trailer undoubtedly is compatible with a WDH? Right?

It isn't unusual for the smaller trailers but would be for something as long as his. With a trailer that long, he probably should use one unless there is some valid reason not to do so. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

10 hours ago, Kirk W said:

It isn't unusual for the smaller trailers but would be for something as long as his. With a trailer that long, he probably should use one unless there is some valid reason not to do so. 

I think you are right no matter what my weights come back at. I did that research as well and would like to go Anderson but trying to figure out which model. I called a couple times and just get answering machine. My trailer loaded is 8400. My tongue weight is 1020. Anyone have experience with the Anderson. Tow vehicle is a 2020 Chev 2500hd Z71 package (extra rear shock) with the duramax diesel.

I did just look in truck manual and under weight distribution section, it showed the following

Vehicle Series Trailer Weight Weight-Distributing Hitch Usage Hitch Distribution

1500 Up to 3 175 kg (7,000 lb) Not Required 50% 1500 Over 3 175 kg (7,000 lb) Required 50% 2500/3500 Up to 9 080 kg (20,000 lb) Not Required 25%

As mentioned, I have the 2500. That is some crazy weight that they say WDH not needed. 

I will see if I can find hitch ratings.

I have seen receivers listed with two capacities (with and w/o WHD) but on my Ford F-350 there is a placard next to the receiver that lists 15,000 pounds both with and without WDH.  I have a 2.5" receiver, and some of the one-tons come with a 3" receiver that is rated higher.

So it obviously varies by make and model.  I know that F-150's have a 2" receiver and a higher limit with WDH, probably because of the low rear axle rating. 

Check your receiver and see if there is a decal or if the capacities are stamped into the receiver itself. I recall that my previous truck had the capacities actually stamped into the body of the receiver. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

The differences between the various Andersen Hitches have to do with the ball size, bracket size, size of receiver  and size of drop.

Don’t pretty much all TT require 2-5/16” balls?  So start there.

The bracket size depends on your trailer’s frame.  My particular trailer has a light-weight frame so I have the 3344 hitch - I would assume that your trailer, which is much bigger than mine, would need the standard brackets - 3350. But that’s a guess on my part.

Half ton trucks have the 2” receiver.  I recently upgraded my truck so bought a new 2-1/2 drop.  I could use the 2” drop with a receiver insert, but it was a pain to line up all the holes.  So if I were buying new (and also upgrade my trailer to a beefier frame, something I will be doing in the near future), I’d be buying a 3394 hitch.

The 4” drop is working for me with my new F350, FX4 package (adds a couple of inches to the height of the truck), and my trailer is pretty low.  So I would think any factory height truck would be fine with the 4” drop, but that’s a guess on my part.  I did have to change the height of the ball on the drop though.

You can also get an extended drop, but it’s not listed as part of the hitch kits.  Since I had to replace my drop, I bought the extended one.  I’ve read various posts about what happens when you have the trailer further back, but I like it because I can open the truck’s tailgate fully with the trailer hitched up.

So if you can verify the trailer’s frame size, and the truck’s receiver size, you’ll know which of the Andersen hitches will fit your rig.

6 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

I have seen receivers listed with two capacities (with and w/o WHD) but on my Ford F-350 there is a placard next to the receiver that lists 15,000 pounds both with and without WDH.  I have a 2.5" receiver, and some of the one-tons come with a 3" receiver that is rated higher.

So it obviously varies by make and model.  I know that F-150's have a 2" receiver and a higher limit with WDH, probably because of the low rear axle rating. 

Check your receiver and see if there is a decal or if the capacities are stamped into the receiver itself. I recall that my previous truck had the capacities actually stamped into the body of the receiver. 

So I just looked. It doesn’t distinguish between wdh and without but as is sticker shows rated up to 2k TW 

24 minutes ago, Zman65 said:

Thank you!   Frame is 6” and ball 2 5/16.  

do you have Anderson and if so like it?

thx 

Yes, my Andersen hitch is almost 5 years old - I chose it because my original TV was a V6 Grand Cherokee (remember, my trailer is small), so I went with the lightest WDH I could find.  The dealer installed it but didn’t adjust it correctly - I spent a while going through the set-up procedure to get more weight transfer and like it.  It took a couple of times before I got it adjusted correctly, and also a couple of visits to the scales.  It worked well for the 2 years I had the Grand Cherokee, considering the trailer was marginal for the Jeep.  It worked even better with the F150 that replaced the JGC, and the F350 I just bought.

I’m planning on getting another Andersen when I upgrade my trailer next year, especially if I sell my current trailer privately.  Otherwise I may just buy the appropriate brackets and use my current hitch - haven’t decided.

2 hours ago, Zman65 said:

Thanks for info   So my tongue weight is 1080 and trailer weight 8400. Hitch rated to 2k.  In your opinion will I Benefit from an Anderson ?

In my opinion, I wouldn’t tow a trailer as long and as heavy as yours without some sort of WDH.  But that’s me, and that’s in general.  But then, I use a WDH to tow a 5500 lb., 21 foot travel trailer with a 1 ton truck - it’s easy to use so why not?  My rig is level without the hitch engaged and I have so much cargo capacity that I’m not too worried, but I think a rig just tows better with the hitch hooked up (as well as having less chance of sway).

The whole purpose of a WDH is to spread the weight around so you don’t overload the back axle and have too little weight on the front axle.  I weighed the rig when I was towing with the F150 and the hitch not adjusted right, it was 50 lbs overweight on the back axle.  I adjusted the Andersen and it moved 90 lbs off the back - much of it to the front axle (which had been unloaded too much) and the trailer axles - a better distribution of weight.

So yes, I think your rig could benefit from an Andersen hitch.

13 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

In my opinion, I wouldn’t tow a trailer as long and as heavy as yours without some sort of WDH.  But that’s me, and that’s in general.  But then, I use a WDH to tow a 5500 lb., 21 foot travel trailer with a 1 ton truck - it’s easy to use so why not?  My rig is level without the hitch engaged and I have so much cargo capacity that I’m not too worried, but I think a rig just tows better with the hitch hooked up (as well as having less chance of sway).

The whole purpose of a WDH is to spread the weight around so you don’t overload the back axle and have too little weight on the front axle.  I weighed the rig when I was towing with the F150 and the hitch not adjusted right, it was 50 lbs overweight on the back axle.  I adjusted the Andersen and it moved 90 lbs off the back - much of it to the front axle (which had been unloaded too much) and the trailer axles - a better distribution of weight.

So yes, I think your rig could benefit from an Andersen hitch.

Thx again. I think I will get the 3394. Great if it helps but cant hurt. Thx all

• 4 months later...

ZMan65, this tutorial for how to set up an WDH might be useful. It is accurate and detailed.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

39 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

ZMan65, this tutorial for how to set up an WDH might be useful. It is accurate and detailed.

He last signed in on July 21, so isn't likely to see this. But in case he does see it, it is also important to remember that just because someone has successfully done something does not make that a safe practice or a wise one. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI