Tire lifter

rdickinson

https://ca-jbtools.glopalstore.com/esco-equipment-70134-hd-adjustable-wheel-dolly/

After having to manually remove and replace all 17.5's plus 12" x 3.5" drums, I came across this later.  Too late for me but it would have made things a lot easier.  This one is adjustable so latest version of Smart car tires, 24"  would fit.  This plus an air assist bottle jack and an air, battery or electric impact gun.

FYI, flats always happen on the traffic side of the vehicle or the inside dual.

This could be posted on any forum.

Roger, I have used everything imaginable over the years to lift/align heavy tire/wheel assemblys.  When I replaced all 8 drive tires on my truck, this tool would have come in really handy.  I used a large crowbar for the lifting/alignment and it worked well...but not as well as this tire lifter would have. I usually figure that if a tool will  mostly pay for itself by allowing me to do something that I would otherwise have to pay to have done, them it merits consideration for my tool inventory.  I still have my labor in the job but that doesn't change the equation much if you are a tool junkie. I do have a Milwaukee M-18 one inch impact wrench that didn't pay for itself on my 8 tire change but made it much easier.   Maybe my wife won't read this, so it doesn't matter....it's a beast.  I can relate to Tim the tool man Taylor.  Like several others on this forum, I like tools.

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

2 hours ago, sclord2002 said:

Roger, I have used everything imaginable over the years to lift/align heavy tire/wheel assemblys.  When I replaced all 8 drive tires on my truck, this tool would have come in really handy.  I used a large crowbar for the lifting/alignment and it worked well...but not as well as this tire lifter would have. I usually figure that if a tool will  mostly pay for itself by allowing me to do something that I would otherwise have to pay to have done, them it merits consideration for my tool inventory.  I still have my labor in the job but that doesn't change the equation much if you are a tool junkie. I do have a Milwaukee M-18 one inch impact wrench that didn't pay for itself on my 8 tire change but made it much easier.   Maybe my wife won't read this, so it doesn't matter....it's a beast.  I can relate to Tim the tool man Taylor.  Like several others on this forum, I like tools.

What you only have one M18?  Not like you, Charlie. 😂

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Hey Charlie.....  Did you change the tires your self?  If so, I'll let you come help change mine too.

I have a M-18 Fuel too, but mine's only 1/2".  Yes, it's a beast, and heavy.  I use a tire iron to lift/align the tires.  I do the same with tractor tires.  They can be pretty ornery sometimes.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

It's not just for me but for some Joe or Jill broken down on the side of the road.  Invariably on the traffic side of the vehicle.  As well as generally being as old or older than me some are just not prepared to deal with a flat. 

With the air assist 20 ton bottle jack running off the truck air, electric impact running off the generator and the tire dolley of some sort, it would be a doable task.

This was sparked by a gent pulled off the road with a vehicle flat...traffic side of course.  He was laying on the ground partially under the suv as it sat on the jack. trying to crank it up.  Overweight, sweating profusely...a recipe for disaster, heart attack, dehydration leading to heat exhaustion.

The lugnuts must have been metric 'cus none of my sockets would fit exactly.  Not sure which size it was,

So I have to get some more triangles as mine have disappeared.  Stick a hi vis vest in the drivers storage compartment and maybe an led sequential arrow to get the attention of oncoming drivers.

What would be an average ft lbs of tq to do cars and suv's?  I think I did my trailer to 135 lbs on  12" x 3.5 Dexters.  I'm guessing something less than 100.

Those wheel dollies are nice until it gets stuck on a rock. The trick is not jacking it up too high. Get the wheel in place and lean it over on the studs. Get a couple nuts started and if you have to jack it up an inch or so to get the rest no big deal. I have the beginnings of real bad back. I have to sit on a stool when I do truck tires. I cant even hold an impact bending over. Like maybe 3 or 4 lug nuts and I'm done.  If I do have to lift the tire I get 2 bars on the bottom and I use my head to push on the top. Slides right on. But I am 47 now and Ive been doing truck tires since before I was in Jr high. My dad would buy trucks at auction for resale in Mexico. They would bring them to the "shop" A drafty wood shed with a dirt floor.  My brothers and I would take the good tires off and save them for his trucks then throw scabs on and send them on their way south.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Carl, OK you are gonna get me in trouble. I have 3 Milwaukee M18 impacts: one inch, 3/4 inch and half inch and I won't mention my 2 Ridgid 1/2 inch impacts. I can't help but stimulate the economy in times like these.  Remember the tool hoarders axiom on tool redundancy: One is none, two is one.   Look up the Milwaukee M18 1 inch impact....it's great.😁

Oh, Rickeieio, tire mounting parties can be fun.  Too bad nobody came to mine.  Actually, both my sons showed up when I was demounting tire number 6.....and I was really happy to see them and not have to do the last 2 by myself.  Actually the tire mounting was not that bad.  I got lucky and all the beads seated as soon as I shot the air to them...I guess I should have bought a lottery ticket that day with that kind of luck. I still have most of a gallon of mounting lube that we can use on your tires.  Oh. I also installed installed Centramatic balancers when reinstalling the tires.😉 Do I know how to have fun, or what ???🙄

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

On 7/8/2020 at 10:10 PM, rdickinson said:

https://ca-jbtools.glopalstore.com/esco-equipment-70134-hd-adjustable-wheel-dolly/

After having to manually remove and replace all 17.5's plus 12" x 3.5" drums, I came across this later.  Too late for me but it would have made things a lot easier.  This one is adjustable so latest version of Smart car tires, 24"  would fit.  This plus an air assist bottle jack and an air, battery or electric impact gun.

Thanks!  - Excellent "heads-up". - Yes - I have (and do) all the lifting "tricks" with various "cheaters", but  should have had one of these long ago!

*** Same mfgr & model  on Amazon = $155. plus tax, free shipping. ***

Roger’s listing was in Canadian dollars so similar money.  I’ve seen video of guys using  an air wedge to lift a wheel to the studs.  I believe the guy was using the tire as the source for the compressed air.  Something like this although I’ve never tried it myself.

https://www.amazon.ca/Calculated-Industries-1194-Inflatable-Contractor-Grade/dp/B073XL88HP/ref=pd_vtp_469_2/147-5811145-8057133?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B073XL88HP&pd_rd_r=f46374aa-6c40-4043-91c7-f55544a1c1e3&pd_rd_w=grIkg&pd_rd_wg=sxk0y&pf_rd_p=3519613d-4da1-4f36-b949-d4b1168a8022&pf_rd_r=P84G5D00DDBHRD1MYKKG&psc=1&refRID=P84G5D00DDBHRD1MYKKG

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 4:32 AM, jenandjon said:

Those wheel dollies are nice until it gets stuck on a rock. The trick is not jacking it up too high. Get the wheel in place and lean it over on the studs. Get a couple nuts started and if you have to jack it up an inch or so to get the rest no big deal. I have the beginnings of real bad back. I have to sit on a stool when I do truck tires. I cant even hold an impact bending over. Like maybe 3 or 4 lug nuts and I'm done.  If I do have to lift the tire I get 2 bars on the bottom and I use my head to push on the top. Slides right on. But I am 47 now and Ive been doing truck tires since before I was in Jr high. My dad would buy trucks at auction for resale in Mexico. They would bring them to the "shop" A drafty wood shed with a dirt floor.  My brothers and I would take the good tires off and save them for his trucks then throw scabs on and send them on their way south.

That may work for you but not  for me, I tried every position possible.  Granted the small wheels won't work so great on 3/4" crushed rock.  Prying the wheels up or twisting them was awkward and so was lining up holes with studs.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 5:55 AM, sclord2002 said:

At this time in my life, saving some money or having concerns about it paying for itself is rapidly becoming secondary to bein physical able and or not giving myself a heart attack.  The guy I helped was overweight and very flushed.  It was fairly warm as well.

With my setup the most difficult part would be lifting and carrying the 20 ton jack to the other vehicle that broke down.  The jack is a pig.

Edited by rdickinson
typo

On 7/10/2020 at 11:40 AM, Nigel said:

Roger’s listing was in Canadian dollars so similar money. 

Nigel

Oops!  Missed that.....but last time I was in Maple Leaf Land - the dif was only about $20.

Now - (I think) they won't let me past the border, LOL......and -

No reason for "envy" of the value of the US dollar - we - at least "some"  (in the US) are envious of the "value" of  a govt that handles COVID efficiently !!

BTW - Even though the wheel dolly was from a second party, the mfgr (not Amazon Prime) - rec'd yesterday 7-14.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

Well, I'm going to push ahead with this scheme before going on the road again.  That is if 163 miles can be considered a trip.

The Motomaster 25 ton air assist air jack is about 9+ high.  The question is will it fit under most vehicles with a flat?  I'm going to order the tire lifter.  If the offending wheel is on gravel, I'll get a couple of pieces of 3/16" steel plate to run the wheels on.  Next is the impact gun, electric or battery. Cambodian Tire has electric Motomaster guns on sale from time to time for about 60 bucks.  Not sure of the ft lbs.  I could run the generator to power it.  Or I could go cordless, not sure of the brand.

Trailer wheel nuts are about 135 ft lbs as I recall.  The guys SUV, I just cranked them down with the flex head ratchet, it was going to be replaced later anyway.

What is an average ft lbs for a car or SUV?

So different topic, I saw something on UTube, it was a socket on an extension that was pre set to a ft lbs setting.  So I guess you could use the impact gun with this socket and it would click off at 90 ft lbs for instance.  It would save having to go around 48 studs torqueing them. 

Anyone had experience with them?  It would be handy for doing up the metric concrete anchors on this condo job.  There must be thousands of them.

Nigel, our dollar may increase in value if things keep going as they are.  Construction is going full blast here in Victoria.

Re how we deal with Covid 19.  I'm run of my feet on this job cleaning and sanitizing anything and everything people touch.  That and dealing workers standing on the top of a 6' stepladder and not wearing their brain buckets.

The shops stores and food markets still have plastic screens up and sanitize the buggy handles for customers.  Burger King, Mc d's and the Dub are still drive thru only.

A lot of stores are tap cc only and those that don't have tap wipe the screen.  They even have the machine on a stick.

BC Ferries, I'm told is only running half loads.

Costco and Wallmart only let in so many at a time.  Rows or aisles alternate, up one way and down the other.  Tape on the sidewalk to keep people socially distant outside.

Aside from that we are back to normal.

Roger

Did a google search for a wheel torque chart and this is one that came up https://www.jegs.com/images/photos/300/326/326-wheelnuttorquespecs.pdf  

I have one of the Motomaster electric impact guns and it works well for the seasonal tire changes on our cars and the trailer wheels.  I see their best one (Up to 400 foot pounds) is on sale for $99 this week.  You need something much heavier for your Volvo wheels but I think you already know that.

Covid-19.  I think you guys are about a month ahead of us but it is getting pretty good here.  Mostly the same protocols as you and most jurisdictions require masks for indoor public spaces.  I think we had 102 new cases in the province yesterday.

Stay safe my friends

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

On 7/8/2020 at 10:10 PM, rdickinson said:

FYI - I didn't "catch" the price in the link was in *Canadian* dollars..... But - Looked like a great product!

So, checked the price on Amazon -  same mfgr, same product number -  considerably less (in *USD*).

Already posted my "oops" on the price dif.

However,  A "HEADS UP" !   - DO NOT order this product from Amazon!  - The 2nd party shipper is "Virota" located in Cedar Falls, IA.  - The cardboard box  (25 lbs) was severely damaged (vai FedEX) , with two ragged holes where the (2) wheels should be.  Not at home when delivered - or would have refused it.

In contacting "Virota" (e-mail or leave phone message) - results in an e-mail from "Barb" at Virota - advising to contact the mfgr.  Guys at ESCO very helpful - including their "Amazon rep" - who said he never heard of Virona!!

Anyway his advice was to try to get a return shipping label thru Amazon (which would come from Virota) and (if unsuccessful) continue to pursue "returning" via Amazon - and re-contact him if necessary.

Maybe this will save somebody jumping thru the same hoops (as I am)..☹️

Edited by Pappy Yokum
Spelling of "Virota"

On 7/10/2020 at 11:40 AM, Nigel said:

Roger’s listing was in Canadian dollars so similar money.  I’ve seen video of guys using  an air wedge to lift a wheel to the studs.  I believe the guy was using the tire as the source for the compressed air.  Something like this although I’ve never tried it myself.

https://www.amazon.ca/Calculated-Industries-1194-Inflatable-Contractor-Grade/dp/B073XL88HP/ref=pd_vtp_469_2/147-5811145-8057133?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B073XL88HP&pd_rd_r=f46374aa-6c40-4043-91c7-f55544a1c1e3&pd_rd_w=grIkg&pd_rd_wg=sxk0y&pf_rd_p=3519613d-4da1-4f36-b949-d4b1168a8022&pf_rd_r=P84G5D00DDBHRD1MYKKG&psc=1&refRID=P84G5D00DDBHRD1MYKKG

Nigel

I've made some inflatables like that myself using some layflat hose, clamping the ends with aluminum flatbar using screws to clamp together and a tire valve to inflate it.  Works well for many things.

Marcel

I use a 2 wheel dolly, Remove tires and also remove brake drums and install brake drums without lifting the drum or tires. Been using one to do this job the last 30+ years. Now the one above sure does a great job. Plus pull both wheels and drum off at one time if need be. But the hand truck is great for the single wheel and tire or a drum.

event.png

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 5:56 AM, Nigel said:

Roger

Did a google search for a wheel torque chart and this is one that came up https://www.jegs.com/images/photos/300/326/326-wheelnuttorquespecs.pdf  

I have one of the Motomaster electric impact guns and it works well for the seasonal tire changes on our cars and the trailer wheels.  I see their best one (Up to 400 foot pounds) is on sale for $99 this week.  You need something much heavier for your Volvo wheels but I think you already know that.

Covid-19.  I think you guys are about a month ahead of us but it is getting pretty good here.  Mostly the same protocols as you and most jurisdictions require masks for indoor public spaces.  I think we had 102 new cases in the province yesterday.

Stay safe my friends

Nigel

Nigel,

It's a tossup b/w 110v or battery impacts.  Air isn't doable with 1/4" line coming off the trailer supply.  So, re impacts, Can tire when they come on sale?  They also sell Dewalt or plus a couple of other brands. This is not something that's going to get a lot of use.   Electric or air would mean cords from the truck to probably behind the trailer plus to a car with a flat. . I may not have enough time to stop behind them.

I can get a Milwaukee .5" big one for 360$ plus tax, no battery from Lordco.

Jet has a set of torque sticks, 60 to 140 ft lbs in 20 ft lbs increments for 100$.  So what would a car or an suv need in ft lbs.  I think the trailer needs 135 ft lbs as per Dexter 12"x 3" - 8 stud drums.

The dolley can be disassembled and stored easily in the truck and I could use detent pins instead of bolts to put it together.

I may need  a scissor lift if my 25 ton bottle jack won't fit under whatever it is I'm trying to fix.  Maybe modify it to allow for the ratchet to lift it up.

Any thoughts?

BTW, the RV park has a lot of empty spaces.  Cam from Ontario is stuck here without his wife.  She was going to fly out but now that Airlines are filling the plane she won't fly.

No winter trips to the US in the future.  I'm making a Covid mask for the car from a Can flag and add some cartoon eyes for inside the windshield....should get a laugh or two.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 2:14 PM, Pappy Yokum said:

FYI - I didn't "catch" the price in the link was in *Canadian* dollars..... But - Looked like a great product!

So, checked the price on Amazon -  same mfgr, same product number -  considerably less (in *USD*).

Already posted my "oops" on the price dif.

However,  A "HEADS UP" !   - DO NOT order this product from Amazon!  - The 2nd party shipper is "Virota" located in Cedar Falls, IA.  - The cardboard box  (25 lbs) was severely damaged (vai FedEX) , with two ragged holes where the (2) wheels should be.  Not at home when delivered - or would have refused it.

In contacting "Virota" (e-mail or leave phone message) - results in an e-mail from "Barb" at Virota - advising to contact the mfgr.  Guys at ESCO very helpful - including their "Amazon rep" - who said he never heard of Virota!!

Anyway his advice was to try to get a return shipping label thru Amazon (which would come from Virota) and (if unsuccessful) continue to pursue "returning" via Amazon - and re-contact him if necessary.

Maybe this will save somebody jumping thru the same hoops (as I am)..☹️

An FYI update, the "hoops":

The product was/is excellent - VERY -  stout - just needed the wheels!  Managed to get it "sorted out" without returning the entire product (Amazon authorized that - yes aware of Kohls accepting Amazon returns).  Received the missing wheels on July 31st,  17 days after the initial shipment - AND after several (many) e-mail communications  with Virota. (They don't return phone calls).

So - whether purchasing in Canadian $ or US $ - would recommend the product.....but *not* purchasing through the Amazon supplier, Virota.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

A while back, we needed two sky light panels for our camper.  I found them in several places.  Both Amazon and eBay listed the seller.  I "googled" the seller, and ordered the part directly through them for less than half the Amazon price, and had them in 2 days.  Saved about $75 for 5 minutes of searching...........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 8/6/2020 at 3:01 PM, rickeieio said:

A while back, we needed two sky light panels for our camper.  I found them in several places.  Both Amazon and eBay listed the seller.  I "googled" the seller, and ordered the part directly through them for less than half the Amazon price, and had them in 2 days.  Saved about $75 for 5 minutes of searching...........

That's good to know, the skylight over our Tub. Is getting darker and letting in less light. Sad part its been under a roof out of the sun more than its in the sun. I may just order 2, that way if it never needs one again. And with my luck its no longer made. I will have an extra.

event.png