ET Hitch shipped to Canada

Slixter

I spoke to Chance at PopUp Towing Products about getting an ET Hitch. He was able to get me a shipping quote but didn’t know about duty, taxes or any border fees. Anyone from Canada have one shipped up here that could let me know about any duties or other border fees? I’m assuming I’ll pay the HST on the invoice amount. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Slixter
Wrong tax

Depending on your province you might have to pay the harmonized (gst+pst) tax on the hitch and the shipping. You will probably have to pay brokers fees as well!  

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

You might ask Chance to call Henry Smyzt and find out what has been done in the past.  I haven’t heard of anyone this side of the border buying one since Young’s took over production.  You could also email Gregg from rvhaulers.ca and ask him what is involved.  When I bought my Trailersaver they had the phone number for a broker to fill out the paperwork and collect the taxes.  I think they charged maybe $50 plus the tax and the coordinated with Trailersaver to make sure the shipping company had the proper documentation for crossing the border.  Sounds like it is something new for Pop Up but should be simple after they find a broker and do the first one.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Taxes and duties will need to be paid, and I'll also recommend the use of a customs broker, so add that to the cost.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

You might ask Chance to call Henry Smyzt and find out what has been done in the past.  I haven’t heard of anyone this side of the border buying one since Young’s took over production.  You could also email Gregg from rvhaulers.ca and ask him what is involved.  When I bought my Trailersaver they had the phone number for a broker to fill out the paperwork and collect the taxes.  I think they charged maybe $50 plus the tax and the coordinated with Trailersaver to make sure the shipping company had the proper documentation for crossing the border.  Sounds like it is something new for Pop Up but should be simple after they find a broker and do the first one.

Nigel

Thanks, I’ll see if I can get some information from Henry. 

5 hours ago, RickS said:

We have been providing all the new documentation to our customs brokers as the CUSMA is now in effect as of July 1/2020. I also would recommend a broker to handle this.  UPS CUSMA

Would you recommend UPS as the broker for something like this? I’ve used them for small stuff. The truckloads I take to and bring back from the US have me dealing with a variety of customs brokers. Everything I haul is food but I’m sure they handle other things. 

I deal with UPS other modes department hauling in stuff from the US on LTL shipments. The rates seem to be pretty good and we've had no issues with the clearances.  It seems like all the big carriers like FedEx and DHL have freight brokers. Which province are you shipping to?

4 hours ago, RickS said:

I deal with UPS other modes department hauling in stuff from the US on LTL shipments. The rates seem to be pretty good and we've had no issues with the clearances.  It seems like all the big carriers like FedEx and DHL have freight brokers. Which province are you shipping to?

Ontario

On 7/2/2020 at 10:35 AM, Slixter said:

I spoke to Chance at PopUp Towing Products about getting an ET Hitch. He was able to get me a shipping quote but didn’t know about duty, taxes or any border fees. Anyone from Canada have one shipped up here that could let me know about any duties or other border fees? I’m assuming I’ll pay the HST on the invoice amount. Thanks in advance. 

Slixter, we shipped a lot of ETs to Canada to numerous customers. You need a broker and a set of export documents. There are also specific codes in those documents to properly classify the product for the the export - import authorities (primarily on the Canadian side). Lot of it had to do with the previous regime of rules, don't now if the new agreement between the US -Mexico-Canada changed any of that (I doubt it). Chance, Brian and I are in frequent communication, I'll be happy to assist you to make this happen and it would good thing for Young's - PopUp to have  process in place for future sales to Canada. I'm still available for "advise".

Henry

3 minutes ago, phoenix2013 said:

Slixter, we shipped a lot of ETs to Canada to numerous customers. You need a broker and a set of export documents. There are also specific codes in those documents to properly classify the product for the the export - import authorities (primarily on the Canadian side). Lot of it had to do with the previous regime of rules, don't now if the new agreement between the US -Mexico-Canada changed any of that (I doubt it). Chance, Brian and I are in frequent communication, I'll be happy to assist you to make this happen and it would good thing for Young's - PopUp to have  process in place for future sales to Canada. I'm still available for "advise".

Henry

Thanks Henry. I’m assuming the export documents are provided by the vendor. Any suggestion from past experiences on an a broker?

Dave

7 minutes ago, Slixter said:

Thanks Henry. I’m assuming the export documents are provided by the vendor. Any suggestion from past experiences on an a broker?

Dave

We used Pacific Customs, the last time we used them was several years ago. Don't know if they would have our past records? Young's would have to establish a new relationship.

Call Neal Denison at Near North brokers. We use them for all our commercial goods and they can look after the import for you. 

They will tell you exactly what you need.  
https://www.borderdocs.com/brokers/brokerprofile?brokerID=3706

I know right now the border is an issue to go get it and carry back. 

If you can wait until the border opens, then ship to a freight location on US side and with the hand carry docs from broker you cruise right through. 

Might just be HST and no duty depending on commodity. Made in USA  will help. 
Neal will advise. 

They have a driver in here in Sault Ste. Marie that goes over daily to carry goods across while we can’t. Get extra fee is $30 to $60 for that. 

The actual customs brokerage is not bad at all. They will give you a quote. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

5 hours ago, billr said:

Call Neal Denison at Near North brokers. We use them for all our commercial goods and they can look after the import for you. 

They will tell you exactly what you need.  
https://www.borderdocs.com/brokers/brokerprofile?brokerID=3706

I know right now the border is an issue to go get it and carry back. 

If you can wait until the border opens, then ship to a freight location on US side and with the hand carry docs from broker you cruise right through. 

Might just be HST and no duty depending on commodity. Made in USA  will help. 
Neal will advise. 

They have a driver in here in Sault Ste. Marie that goes over daily to carry goods across while we can’t. Get extra fee is $30 to $60 for that. 

The actual customs brokerage is not bad at all. They will give you a quote. 

Thanks Bill. Very helpful. I’ll give them a call. I keep forgetting the border is closed for non essential. I’m state side more days than I’m home! Just got to NJ at 01:30!