Full Time and Single

Hi Everyone,..... I'm brand new to Xscapers,...... We always had plans to go Full Time, but that "time" was a few more years down the road. Life dealt some very unexpected cards and now the time to Full Time was thrust onto me with warning or planning. I've got years and years of RV experience and the 5'er is very adequately set up for even long term boondocking. Now,.. even with the experience and with the sudden change in circumstances I find myself very intimidated,.... no planning time,... no direction and it's a scary and lonely place to be,.. emphasis on lonely. It seems everywhere I look, it's happy couples and to be honest,.... most of the time I feel like their Grandson. I think making some connections (emphasis on "connections" and not "hookups") would be refreshing and provide some friendship but it sure seems harder to find that than I would have thought. Any sharing of experiences or thoughts, suggestions would be very welcome! I'm starting out very soon from Colorado.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ColoradoGlenn

You don't say how old you are but you imply you're relatively young.

You may want to look into workamping.  There are plenty of jobs available for singles.  Plenty of full time with pay if you need it and plenty part time without pay if you don't.   You'll have something to do, you'll meet people, and you can travel.

Most of the X-scapers are younger than the average member here. You could look for some of their convergences. The Classless Class welcomes everyone although we are also mostly retired people so some of us are leaving the road as we age. There are also other groups aimed at singles, some of which forbid hookups. The only name that comes to mind immediately is LoW, Loners on Wheels, but they aren't all young. Good luck in your search for a place to belong and welcome to a great lifestyle!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I am a solo full timer too but am older and retired. Escapees has a Solo BOF but I have only attended one gathering and it wasn’t for me but you may be interested. Check out when their next gathering is and attend. I believe the dues were only $10 per year. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

There are many single groups available with no hook ups. Escapees has Solos and possible others that would work. Also there are volunteer RV groups with churches and Habitat that build houses and churches in the US. These all welcome all people. I think Solos would be a good start. Also, consider volunteering at parks. Volunteer.gov is a central volunteer site and sometimes a volunteer job appears on this forum. There are also seasonal jobs. If you are healthy I believe Amazon hires for the Christmas season, starting in Aug/Sep. You need to find the opportunities so you have some social connection.

4 hours ago, ColoradoGlenn said:

Does Xscapers have a board like this?

Xscapers is powered by Escapees and they don't have a separate discussion board.  They do have a web site - https://xscapers.com/  Instead of a discussion board they're active on Facebook Groups.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/xscapers

Another singles group are the WINs - Wandering Individuals Network.  They organize circuits around the country where they stay in one spot 3-5 days to explore the area and then move on to the next campsite.  They publish their itineraries on their website and you can come and go from a circuit as you wish.  Their touring got disrupted by the shutdown but they are starting up again.   https://rvsingles.org/

Edited by Lou Schneider

And Glenn you might want to look over boondockerswelcome.com and kinda get your feet wet by staying at places in and around your area as you kinda get used to being full time.

You can search locations for free, but membership is required to make reservations. 

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/searchhosts/?destination_to_search=colorado+springs&distance=300&distance_unit=miles&arrival_date=&duration=1&rig_length=20&tow_vehicle_length=0&number_of_spots_available=1&_=1591558942560

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

If you Google “Rv solos“ and “rv singles” You will Find several groups out there. FMCA has Singles International.”  https://www.fmca.com/index.php/9-chapter-spotlight/236-singles-international.html 
unfortunately there seems to be more women’s single groups, than mixed groups. 
LOWs has chapters all over the country where you could connect up with singles.   Though they tend toward older RVers, there are many younger people in the 40-50 range. 
Xscapers will be your best bet to get involved with people, as there are many singles in the group. 
Have fun exploring the world. 

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

Sounds like what you are looking for is some sense of community. Here are a few ideas...

Escapee parks (have seen younger people camping in these too) - they have social activities for all with no strings.

Thousand Trails zone pass. The "affiliation" creates a loose sense of community since everyone is a member. Many all age parks and quite a few 55+ too.

Campground host at a state park for a month. You become part of the staff and gain an immediate sense of purpose. By the end of the month, you'll enjoy your freedom to move on and not have responsibilities and ties to park management.

Do things you enjoy and maybe you'll meet other's with similar interests.

Look for AA meetings which happen in all 50 states. Most meetings are open. If you drink, maybe decide to quit with AA's help. (Half serious, half kidding here). I quit alcohol 2 1/2 years ago and it is has improved my life. Not into the "happy hour" scene that does play out in some parks.

7 minutes ago, ToddF said:

Not into the "happy hour" scene that does play out in some parks.

You don't have to drink alcohol to gather. We drink soda pop and no one complains.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 6/5/2020 at 7:46 AM, ColoradoGlenn said:

Hi Everyone,..... I'm brand new to Xscapers,...... .... most of the time I feel like their Grandson.

Have you actually tried to attend an Xscapers meet-up?  Of all the groups mentioned here that's where you'll find the youngest.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel