How much can I tow with my tahoe

Josh

So to preface, I am new to posting a topic, but have read through a ton! I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe 4x4, 5.3L with a 4.10 rear end. It states it is rated at 7700lb gvwr towing capacity. I am looking at a 2015 Keystone - Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring. Roughly 5300lb dry weight and 7200 gvwr. I will be using weight distribution/sway control to tow. I have recently flushed all fluids and I am looking at having an additional trans cooler installed. I live in the desert Southwest where the heat and elevation can get hot and high. I don’t plan on carrying any water in the tanks, etc. and not planning on loading trailer above 6500lbs. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The best way to get a true towing capacity is to find the vehicle’s Gross Combined Weight Rating.  This is the most the vehicle and anything it is towing can weigh in total combination.  Then load up your vehicle as if you were going to travel with any gear, people, etc. that would be in the vehicle (including full fuel tank).  Take the vehicle so loaded to a scale and weigh it.  Take the number you get and subtract that from the Gross Combined Weight Rating.  This will give you the true towing capacity.  That number is the maximum your vehicle can tow and will probably be less than the actual factory tow rating.

Remember, this number is the maximum number.  Your trailer and all it’s equipment must be equal to or less than it.  This includes the hitch, water, gear, etc.  You also do not want to tow at the max rating for extended periods as it is hard on your equipment.  Most people recommend towing at 85% of the max or so.

There are other factors as well.  Your axle ratings on your tow vehicle also cannot be exceeded.  When you weigh the vehicle, get the total weight and individual axle weights so you know whether or not you will exceed axle ratings.  When you hook a tow behind trailer to a tow vehicle, the hitch weight is added to the rear axle.  When you add a weight distribution hitch, some of that weight is pushed back onto the front axle of the tow vehicle.

The final consideration is wheelbase.  Short wheelbase vehicles do not tow as well as long wheelbase vehicles typically.  They are more affected by crosswinds and passing large vehicles when towing.  This effect goes up, the longer the trailer is compared to the tow vehicle wheelbase.  This last part I mention as something to be aware of.  Only you can decide what you will be comfortable with in this category as there are not really any hard and fast rules like there are for towing weight capacities.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Welcome to the Escapee forums, Jos

Chad has given you an excellent answer, but I would add just one additional point. With a 2007 tow vehicle, mechanical condition is everything and the closer you work to the vehicle's maximum tow rating the more critical that condition becomes. It is also important to consider how much you intend to tow the RV. If you only make short trips the comfort level while towing is less issue than if you expect to travel long days and vast distances. 

We are happy to have you here with us, so do contribute to any forum and visit often.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

In addition to the above, take a look at the door sticker on the Tahoe for it’s particular cargo capacity.  You could find yourself running out of cargo capacity in the Tahoe before you ran out of combined weight.

I used to tow a 21’ travel trailer with a Jeep Grand Cherokee - the cargo capacity was listed as 1050 lbs.  My trailer’s tongue weight was usually 600-620 lbs, around 12% of the weight of the trailer packed for a trip (4800-5000, the trailer’s GVWR is 5500).  That doesn’t allow for all that much more cargo in the vehicle, and I was usually towing close to the max.  

Your Tahoe has higher tow ratings than my V6 JGC was, but you are still going to have to watch what you carry.

I ended up buying an F150 to tow that 21’ trailer because I got tired of dealing with the buffeting from strong cross-winds, and I found myself driving in wind a lot. I also couldn’t figure out how to carry a generator and a gas can for it without putting it in an occupied space.

You did not say how long the Keystone is. That will be a big factor when its windy or when a 18 wheeler passes you. I towed with mine and it was not pleasant when windy, etc. and mine was a 25 footer.

I wish I would have put more air in the tires and tried that.  I had the recommended pressure according to the tag on the door jam. I understand that if you put near the max air according to what's listed  on the sidewall it will help. I think maybe my wiggle was from the sidewall on the tires and more air pressure maybe would have helped. I'll never know but it's FYI.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

The Tahoe is really a passenger vehicle in stature.  It is a high center of gravity and a short wheelbase vehicle,  It will be more prone to sway than a longer and lower vehicle.

My personal opinion is I would not tow anything over about 26 feet with that if you want to be comfortable on longer drives.  With these type vehicles, length is an important factor as is weight.  Also, look at the GM towing guide and see what the maximum frontal area is for the ratings.  8 ft high and say 9 ft tall is 72 sq.ft. frontal area.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Guys first and foremost, thank you for being so welcoming. This is exactly why I want to join this community! So I cringe to tell you the trailer is 32ft. long! On the positive side, my longest tow will be 6 hours, but typically about 2-3. Our main objective is to get to the Arizona high county and out of the scorching heat on the weekends. I am very comfortable towing. In a different life, not too long ago, I used to tow trailers up to 52ft. Albeit they were goosenecks or bumper pulls using 1 tons. The other positive, the 2007 just broke 100k. We don’t use the vehicle a ton and it has always been routinely serviced. I haven’t purchased anything yet(plan to in the next couple weeks cause the temps are rising) so I think I will go weigh the tahoe loaded with gear and my family to get a better understanding. Circling back to a couple of your comments on length, any additional personal experience would help. My main concern is the sway, etc. we can get some pretty gnarly wind/ dust storms here in the summer months. Obviously I wouldn’t plan on driving in them, but you never know.

(attached photo for dust storm reference)

BBB9D9FE-6876-427B-B0DB-C0C17ED49025.jpeg

Another suggestion would be to store the RV in the AZ high country since that's where you want to stay. Then you wouldn't have to tow it but a few miles.  Many folks in AZ do that and there are many RV/boat storage places up there.  You also wouldn't have the big elevation to climb with a trailer to get there.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

20 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Another suggestion would be to store the RV in the AZ high country since that's where you want to stay. Then you wouldn't have to tow it but a few miles.  Many folks in AZ do that and there are many RV/boat storage places up there.  You also wouldn't have the big elevation to climb with a trailer to get there.

2 Gypsies, good call. I have been thinking the same thing! Maybe store it half the time in Payson and the other half in San Diego.