Smart broke down

GlennWest

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

National General called this morning. Totaled. Now to find a Smart

That took way longer than it should have. Almost any modern vehicle that experiences flood conditions should be a candidate for a write-off. There's too much electronics on board, never mind the drivetrain issues. 

ETA: Glenn, find out what your buy-back will be. Maybe we can work a side deal. 

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

You buy it back, I buy it from you, salvage title and all. I would pick it up from wherever it's currently sitting, you'd never see it.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Glenn;

I have a 2013 Barabus with 30K miles that we are looking to sell. PM us with a phone # if you have any interest in that.

Paul

ON Edit,,,Never Mind

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

To work off this post, I am starting the search for a newer Smart, we have a 09 now that I drive on & off our truck with custom ramps, we hope to get one of the last year models that were imported. Our current Smart runs up the ramps really well and can stop and then proceed with no issues, my question is on the newer ones is there a difference how they might climb the ramps?  Our ramps are not steep if I find the right area to load and unload, they are around 12' long, I just do not want to burn up a transmission by mistake. Thanks for any info.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

My clutch problem was flood related. I never had a problem with our 453 model Smart. It is a good car. Only downside I see is ease of parts. I searched for the clutch actuator and found lots for 451s. Did after lots of searching find it for a 453. But in all honestly, if it hadn't flooded, I wouldn't have had a a problem. They are wider. Check for clearnaces. My 453 goes right up the ramp. No problem. There is just single tow hook. Not duall like your current car. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Ok good info, I knew yours was flood related but was getting nervous in some of the posts, what we have now scoots up pretty good just getting old with lots of miles and just want to move up to a newer one as they seem much nicer.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I have a 453 that I purchased used, owned for just a few months and I could no longer drive up the ramps because the clutch was burnt out.  Luckily for me I was repaired under warranty.  Granted, I have no idea how the car was treated before me but I for one prefer not to drive up anymore......

2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
2020 Momentum 376THS
We're both proud USAF Retirees...

2 hours ago, COFLTravler said:

I have a 453 that I purchased used, owned for just a few months and I could no longer drive up the ramps because the clutch was burnt out.  Luckily for me I was repaired under warranty.  Granted, I have no idea how the car was treated before me but I for one prefer not to drive up anymore......

How do you load it then. only 1 stock tow bolt location. But that is all the tow truck used.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I've said this before but I'll repeat it since it keeps coming up. 

There is no issue driving a 453 up the ramps if you do it RIGHT. You won't burn up the clutch. But you do have to do it correctly.Ride the clutch a lot, like I see many, MANY people doing and you will have issues. 

You can modify the 453 to add the extra tow hook position in the rear if you wish. Our shop does it, or if you are a good welder you can DIY. Get the extra "bung" at a scrap yard - About $50 with shipping. You could also fabricate a receiver hitch.

Also, despite what Internet experts claim, the 453 can be flat towed if you follow the Mercedes towing procedure precisely. I have thousands of miles on my 453 being towed behind our motorhome. Again, do it wrong and you will have issues.

Edited by Jack Mayer

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Rogers hitch setup is pretty nifty, and does not look too hard to replicate. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Picked up my 2017 Smart today. Not got all the bells and whistles as the other but runs great. Seems to get better mpg. Doesn't have mag style wheels and don't really won't to go back to basket tire down. May get a set of wheels. It also matches my truck. Red and black.

Edited by GlennWest

7 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Picked up my 2017 Smart today. Not got all the bells and whistles as the other but runs great. Seems to get better mpg. Doesn't have mag style wheels and don't really won't to go back to basket tire down. May get a set of wheels. It also matches my truck. Red and black.

Contact your insurance company, buy back the write-off, swap wheels, sell remains. 

Please e-mail us here.

On 2/10/2020 at 4:44 PM, rdickinson said:

mz5jPsil.jpg

Soooo, don't mean to derail the thread, but I gotta know how they get the 2 post to stay upright on the pavers?  There must be some fancy concrete work hidden under there?  Do Smart's always get loaded on the asymmetrics backwards?  Cuz the engine is in the rear?  I've never really been around one.  Gotta be real nice to be able to open the doors all the way while on the lift though!

19 hours ago, GlennWest said:

If I had a place to do this that would be great. Can't do that in RV parks

Talk to the insurance company. They're going to be paying for a parking spot in the towing company yard, until they can get a shipper to get it to an auction yard. After they get their paperwork settled, I could pick it up from the same yard. 

Please e-mail us here.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 11:34 PM, Scrap said:

Soooo, don't mean to derail the thread, but I gotta know how they get the 2 post to stay upright on the pavers?  There must be some fancy concrete work hidden under there?  Do Smart's always get loaded on the asymmetrics backwards?  Cuz the engine is in the rear?  I've never really been around one.  Gotta be real nice to be able to open the doors all the way while on the lift though!

They've  been on strike for the last 3 months but back to work now.  I'll try to get a pic in the next couple of days and post it.