YouTube TV

I’m on day 3 of my 14da free trial and I’m pleasantly surprised. I have a Mobley account so the data use isn’t a lot of concern but I try to minimize it. I use a Roku stick in my TV as a receiving unit, with video quality set to 720 to minimize use, data consumption is still ~.5 gb hr.. The system, at that resolution seems to work fine down to 5MPS.

For $50 I get unlimited DVR & local channels, in addition to a lot of other "stuff". The locals can be set manually, or automatically using your internet location.

We (I) got tired of moving sat equipment, then dinking around with CS to get the locals changed. I’ve gotta say that, so far, I’m impressed with the product. Just a user, no ties to the company, other than Google, who know everything anyway.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

We've been using YouTube TV exclusively for the past ~4 months after having cancelled DirecTV.  

With respect to your questions, I love the guide because I can control the order that the channels are listed in.  So the ones we usually watch I have moved to the top of the list.  In addition, you can turn off the ones you aren't interested in so they don't even clutter the rest of your guide.

As for the DVR, I think it's great.  Because it has infinite capacity there's no harm in recording everything you might possibly want to watch.  For all recorded shows you can skip through commercials so it's better to have programs recorded rather than having to select the show from the On Demand list whee you can't skip commercials.   

If there's anything I don't like about the DVR it's that there's no setting for just recording "first run" programs.  I used to use that all the time so my DirecTV DVR didn't get cluttered up with stuff I had already seen.  In this case you don't have to worry about filling up the DVR, it's just that sometimes you have to start a show to see if you've already watched it.

One thing I really like about YouTubeTV is the ability to watch any channels anywhere I am on of my devices.  I know that DirecTV had a streaming capability but I never found it as convenient and i don't recall it covering all channels.  Today we were listening to a cable news show while we were driving back from Houston; it passed the time nicely.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

9 hours ago, dewilso said:

I’m on day 3 of my 14da free trial and I’m pleasantly surprised. I have a Mobley account so the data use isn’t a lot of concern but I try to minimize it. I use a Roku stick in my TV as a receiving unit, with video quality set to 720 to minimize use, data consumption is still ~.5 gb hr.. The system, at that resolution seems to work fine down to 5MPS.

For $50 I get unlimited DVR & local channels, in addition to a lot of other "stuff". The locals can be set manually, or automatically using your internet location.

We (I) got tired of moving sat equipment, then dinking around with CS to get the locals changed. I’ve gotta say that, so far, I’m impressed with the product. Just a user, no ties to the company, other than Google, who know everything anyway.

So If I use YouTube tv I can set the local channels to any city? Specifically Baltimore no matter where I am? If so, would that setting be locked on all my devices? How many devices can be logged on? So glad to hear that you are enjoying it.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

37 minutes ago, rynosback said:

So If I use YouTube tv I can set the local channels to any city? Specifically Baltimore no matter where I am? If so, would that setting be locked on all my devices? How many devices can be logged on? So glad to hear that you are enjoying it.

I believe that is incorrect, setting channels to any locality.  I have had Youtube TV for quite a while, and it always uses the location of my device to give me the local channels from that area. When I watch on my TV that has no location service, it requires me to log in to my account from my “home area” every 2-3 months in order for me to watch anything.

3 devices can be on  at the same time.

i use it on my home TV to watch the Patriots play, but can't watch them on my ipad unless its being shown on local TV.

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

3 hours ago, docj said:

With respect to your questions, I love the guide because I can control the order that the channels are listed in.  So the ones we usually watch I have moved to the top of the list.  In addition, you can turn off the ones you aren't interested in so they don't even clutter the rest of your guide.

As for the DVR, I think it's great.  Because it has infinite capacity there's no harm in recording everything you might possibly want to watch.  For all recorded shows you can skip through commercials so it's better to have programs recorded rather than having to select the show from the On Demand list whee you can't skip commercials.   

If there's anything I don't like about the DVR it's that there's no setting for just recording "first run" programs.  I used to use that all the time so my DirecTV DVR didn't get cluttered up with stuff I had already seen.  In this case you don't have to worry about filling up the DVR, it's just that sometimes you have to start a show to see if you've already watched it.

Thanks.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

5 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Is YouTubeTV a live stream? Can you get ESPN, Fox News, NFL Channel etc, like on the Sat. What is the downside?

Yes, it is live streaming of channels.  All the cable and the local network affiliates are available.  The only downside is that you pretty much have to have an unlimited internet connection. Other than that there is no downside that I can see other than the fact that changing channels takes ~10 seconds or so.  I've read that some people who are "channel changers" don't like to wait that long.  But it doesn't bother me.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

What/whose DVR are we talking about?

Youtube TV comes with unlimited DVR capability. It comes in very handy! 

RIP Dozey

chirakawa, I don't have a zip code. I am a full timer and move often. Sometimes I will sty a couple of months. Do the available channels change depending on location or, except for locals, are they the same everywhere like on the satellite?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

3 minutes ago, soos said:

Youtube TV comes with unlimited DVR capability. It comes in very handy! 

Programs that have been recorded can be played back without commercials.  Since there's no limit to the DVR capacity there's no reason not to record anything you might want to watch.  Programs you haven't recorded can be played through the On Demand screen.  Those have embedded commercials that you can't skip.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

chirakawa, I don't have a zip code. I am a full timer and move often. Sometimes I will sty a couple of months. Do the available channels change depending on location or, except for locals, are they the same everywhere like on the satellite?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

36 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

the location of your device determines what you can watch 

RIP Dozey

13 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Ok, but where is the DVR?  I don't understand "youtube tv comes with.."

It is cloud based. No actual DVR

RIP Dozey

5 hours ago, Twotoes said:

When you sign up it asks for your "home" location, if your device does not have GPS capability. If you continually use a device that it can not locate, then every so often it forces you to log in from the home area. Simple solution, log in with your phone, let it see where you are and then go back to the TV if you can't get back to the "home" location.

EDIT: (from youtube)

• You can only change your home area twice per year.
  • You have to be physically in your new home area to update your home area in YouTube TV. 
  • If you're a frequent traveler, make sure to use YouTube TV at least once every 3 months in your home area. This check in makes sure YouTube TV can continue to offer you the correct local networks. 
  • Not all devices support the ability to change your home area. If these steps do not work in the YouTube app on your mobile device, use a computer to change your home area.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

23 minutes ago, rynosback said:

Well that sucks. I was hoping I could just have it set to Baltimore’s local channels and watch them anywhere we are. 

I get around that by having my son, located in Boston, have the account, making Boston my home area, so I can watch the Patriots on my home Tv(one that has no location services) all season long.  I can not, however,  watch the games on my iPad unless the game is being shown on local stations. Apparently there are apps that will fake a GPS location but I haven’t gone that far yet 

RIP Dozey

7 hours ago, soos said:

I get around that by having my son, located in Boston, have the account, making Boston my home area, so I can watch the Patriots on my home Tv(one that has no location services) all season long.  I can not, however,  watch the games on my iPad unless the game is being shown on local stations. Apparently there are apps that will fake a GPS location but I haven’t gone that far yet 

I have seen several apps for Android but not for Apple. If I could spoof it, I would just do that with Locast.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3