Webasto bunk heater

Sculptor

Hi all, thanks in advance for any feedback. 
I have a diesel sleeper heater in our Volvo. It smokes but does not heat past the startup attempt.  I get a flashing LED that indicates “low voltage”. I found what appears to be a good reference to disassemble and clean a Webasto brand heater here: https://www.instructables.com/id/Servicing-a-Webasto-AirTop-2000-D/ 

Has anyone had a similar experience and fixed it themselves?  Any advice for parts beyond Amazon?  (The link has some references to part numbers for anyone who might need them)

Kevin. 

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

If you're getting a low voltage alarm, don't worry about tearing it apart. Fix the wiring issue first. They're very simple units, and should be serviced after a set number of hours, so if you don't know the history of your heater, it's a good idea to do it. But fix the wiring first. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

If you're getting a low voltage alarm, don't worry about tearing it apart. Fix the wiring issue first. They're very simple units, and should be serviced after a set number of hours, so if you don't know the history of your heater, it's a good idea to do it. But fix the wiring first. 

Hi Darryl, Thank You very much.  It seems like we always have other repairs to do an never got around to this one.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Thank you very much Bill w/bus. Now I will have to look up your conversion, I’m curious.  Have you been to all 50 and most of Canada in your conversion?  Do you have a website?

13 hours ago, Bill w/bus said:

Yes, fix the wiring. Then change the nozzle, Webasto specfic, and clean out the fire box. You need to pull the burner tube, sheet metal, to expose the heat exchanger find. That should be all it needs to perform well.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

• 1 month later...

Just came across this place for Webasto cab heaters pretty sure best price I have seen to date on sale now for $700.  They have other brands as well and parts.  If you have seen better pricing let me know as I want to purchase one.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

This offers a wide assortment of brands/models   This is a compilation of ebay links.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Kevin how did you fix your unit, did you have to tear it apart?  Have not purchased one yet but pretty high on my "want list".  Just after going from two batteries in RV to four and a second solar panel with larger controller.

Dennis

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

Hi Dennis, We were too busy in the fall, and I was out of commission until mid January from a foot repair I had done.  So I never got to look at it.  Wish I had more help to offer.  The service kit is give or take $250 I think.  I haven't ordered that yet either.  I want to clean it up and see what happens first anyway.  It was trying to start but smoking and then shutting down.  

Have you used your upgraded system with the batteries and solar yet?

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Most likely upgrading from 2 to 4 batteries in RV this spring.  These will be AGM all new with one more solar panel.  Only room for one more panel on my roof so most likely will go with a 160 watt panel, larger controller and combiner box.  Already added a SOC meter.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

1 hour ago, Sculptor said:

It was trying to start but smoking and then shutting down.  

That sounds like a plugged/worn nozzle. Possibly the ignitor is out of adjustment, but the nozzle is higher up on the troubleshooting list. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

4 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

That sounds like a plugged/worn nozzle. Possibly the ignitor is out of adjustment, but the nozzle is higher up on the troubleshooting list. 

Thanks Darryl, it makes sense to check that first.  I have not approached it to take it apart but I often will start a repair and disregard the logical stuff. Thanks for your help.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Diesel heaters aren't that complicated, but they've blessed me with several mortgage payments over the years. Each manufacturer will have a troubleshooting list and repair procedure available, and most of them look a lot alike. Follow the steps, and success is all but guaranteed. 

Please e-mail us here.