Replacement Air Bag

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I want to replace the rear air bags on my 2012 VNL 630. The truck is still tandem. The following number is the number that I found on the rubber part of the air bag. 566-24-3-110. The air bag also has the Volvo logo on it. It only uses two bolts to hold them in place. One on the top center and one on the bottom center. There is no angle bracket at all on these air bags. I did a Google search and could not find the correct air bag for my truck. Does anyone have the same style air bag as me and a replacement part number ? How about a good place to buy that has a good price ?

I also looked in the resource guild and did not find anything on air bag replacement.

Thanks for any info,
Al

Edited by alan0043

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Not to beat a dead horse, but I will anyway....  I've found if you build a relationship with a parts guy, he'll treat you right.  In my case, the local Mack dealer, a little family run outfit, beats all the other dealers and most online sellers.  The service is great, and I no longer bother pricing around.  And he knows I trust him, which helps keep that relationship strong.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

HI Alan

I echo EIEIO'S reply completely, and for Volvo parts try your Mack or Kenworth dealer. I have found the same thing parts counter guy's matter I try to use the same 1 all the time. I often get the family discount, HA

HAPPY TRAILS

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

Hi Everyone,

I checked out the links to the Goodyear air bags with no luck. The Goodyear bags do not have a bolt in the center of the top plate to hold them to the bottom of the frame. The Goodyear bags use an L shaped bracket on the top to the frame. It looks like I will need to make a road trip to the dealer as suggested. I didn't think the air bags where anything special. It looks like I could be wrong.

I found this interesting. The part number on the shocks crossed over with no problems. I thought the same thing would happen with the air bags. It doesn't look that way.

Al

Edited by alan0043

Al

Before you rule out the Goodyear bag take another look at yours.  Maybe the bracket is the same as yours.  It wouldn’t be uncommon for the brackets to rust out in the salt belt and supplying the bracket and bag as an assembly would make sense.  At least to me.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Hi Everyone,

Here is a picture of my air bag set-up. You can see the bolt in the center that holds the air bag in place. And also the air line.

gnzqSfhl.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Here is a picture of my air bag set-up. You can see the bolt in the center that holds the air bag in place. And also the air line.

gnzqSfhl.jpg

Hi Everyone,

An update on air bags ( 11-04-19 ). Went to the dealer today. This is the deal that I got from the dealer. Four oem air bags plus tax was $464. That worked out to $115 per bag for oem. Volvo part number is 21132005. Thanks guys for the tip about the dealer.

Al

I just replaced the bags on my farm semi, and got them thru Ryder.   I agree on the local parts guy though!

Run the truck, get the ride to normal height, block the frame to axle, and dump the ride air.   I thought it was gonna be a big job, I think I changed all 4 in less than an hour.   Took more time to undo the airlines than to replace the bags!

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Hi Everyone,

I have a question or too. The air line has a rubber sleeve over it to help protect the air line. I pulled the rubber sleeve up to see the top of the air line fitting. What I found was, there is no collar to push down to release the air line. Also there is no kind of nut holding the air line. So what is holding the air line in place ? And how do I release the line ? I have seen a couple videos on line but nobody talks about how to remove the air line. Any ideas ?

Al

I bet there's a collar, but you can't see it from the dirt and crud.  That said, if you have enough slack, just cut the line at the fitting.  This will give you a fresh surface for the o-ring to seal against.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I bet there's a collar, but you can't see it from the dirt and crud.  That said, if you have enough slack, just cut the line at the fitting.  This will give you a fresh surface for the o-ring to seal against.

Hi Rick,

I pulled up the rubber boot and cleaned the top of the fitting with a brass wire bush to clean the crud out but I just can't see a collar yet. It might just be better to put new fittings on the air bags. I was thinking the same thing about cutting the air line to get get a good seal.

Al

Edited by alan0043

13 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Al,

What’s on your new bag?  Just threads?

Hi Carl,  It's just threads.

13 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Just unthread it from the bag!

Hi Desert,    Will do. Now mother nature needs to get her act together so I can start working on the truck. Winter started early here in northeast Ohio.