Grand Canyon in December?

Ruben

Hi everyone, newbie here (to the forum, and fairly new to RVing, although some experience)

We're going on a cross-country trip in December. We is; my wife, our toddler, baby and me. We'll take about 4 weeks to drive from Northern California to Florida. There are 2 basic routes we're considering;

1. Via Grand Canyon etc. Mainly because I've never been there and would love love love to visit this part of the US.
  2. Drop down to San Diego, and take the Southern route.

The 2 main questions I have are;

1. What would your preferred route be?
  2. Does anyone have experience with Grand Canyon in December? I know it can get cold, but would you discourage it with kids around that time?

TIA! 

Here's the weather history for last December 2018 at the Grand Canyon:

High 59; Low 1

Average High 40; Average Low 14

That's very cold for camping although some do it.  You would need full winter gear for the toddler and baby.... and probably yourselves. The RV would be susceptible to freezing water pipes ..... and you'd use a lot of propane for heating.

Are you staying in Florida or will you be returning?  Best to do it on your return if in a better time period.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/us/az/grand-canyon/KGCN/date/2018-12

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I agree with 2gypsies. I have heard of I 40 in Flagstaff being closed due to snow in these winter months months Dec,Jan,Feb, Mar.Apr. If you choose to use I 40, this website may be of great help: http://oss.weathershare.org/

It even has live weather/road cameras denoted on the maps.

Personally I would not take the risk with small children along.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The Grand Canyon is lovely but NOT at that time of year in an RV. Frozen pipes are not fun. Especially when they thaw and you find all the leaks from pipes that burst when frozen. 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I worked at Grand Canyon Dec-March and stayed in my RV.  I was winterized.   The Grand Canyon is as busy as the summer between Christmas and New Year and alot of international guests.  

Most days was at least in the 40s during the day.  If the weather does snow I40 is a horrible road to drive.  I would just watch the weather.

On 8/26/2019 at 7:54 PM, Ray,IN said:

I agree with 2gypsies. I have heard of I 40 in Flagstaff being closed due to snow in these winter months months Dec,Jan,Feb, Mar.Apr.

Me too. I have traveled I-40 in winter more than once and can tell you from experience that it can be treacherous in bad weather. Even if the weather is good, it will be cold for the children and can be very cold. If you are winter experienced people like some from ski country you may have the needed cloting for you and the children and if you have enough time to wait out any bad roads if the weather turns bad, then it could be a good experience. The canyon is very scenic in snow and quite different than in warm weather, but you need to be prepared for it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI