securing the propane tanks

packnrat

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I've been searching for regulations I may freely copy N paste to no avail. I did however find this that further complicates the  open access to LP cylinder valves discussion: https://www.amazon.com/propane-tank-valve-lock/s?k=propane+tank+valve+lock

Of course that does not mean those devices are legal, just that they are available.

image.png.ae56921e3c83197e21567420099f6a5b.pngThat is from: https://www.laigroup.com/propane-tank-locks-security-valve-locks.php  for unused cylinders.

Those lock devices seal and lock the service valve outlet. They do not restrict access to the valve handle. Because the outlet is sealed, turning the valve on does not release any LP.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only property codes I can find after an extensive search only regulate the parking and living in RV's. I can find nothing restricting the locking down a tank or covering the valve, If someone has one please correct me. My bottles are locked to the van. The bottles are in a box. The box can be locked. If I'm away, I now lock the box.

I have been following this one closely also because our current part-time RV travel is with a small travel trailer that has only 1, 20# bottle on the tongue and I keep a spare inside of the locked shell on the back of our truck. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Those lock devices seal and lock the service valve outlet. They do not restrict access to the valve handle. Because the outlet is sealed, turning the valve on does not release any LP.

Click the Amazon link

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, packnrat said:

i have seen many a tank. and many videos of tanks getting shot from small cal up to the 50 cal none have exploded. but just fall over sending out a flame through the hole left by the bullet.

but what does exploding tanks have to do with my question?

You might want t o read the entire article .

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

2 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Click the Amazon link

The LP valve lock is not legal for RV use under NFPA 1192. Residential and commercial use falls under different rules.

Dutch

22 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The LP valve lock is not legal for RV use under NFPA 1192. Residential and commercial use falls under different rules.

Right! You may legally sell almost anything, whether it is legal to use or not. Did you notice those are on 20# cylinders, they are/were legal for semi-permanent tanks. I have seen them on tanks at houses years ago, the LP supplier locked the valve for non-payment.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If one does the research  it may be determined that the only reason that there is not a lock on the propane doors is so..... they can be turned off if need be like going through a tunnel or fueling and there are regulations to that effect. One  can do most Anything they wish to prevent against theft as long as the ability to turn off the tank is not affected. We do nothing and never have.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Are NFPA standards mandatory?
In most cases, compliance with NFPA standards is voluntary. However, in some cases, federal or state Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) agencies have incorporated wording from NFPA standards into regulations. In these cases, complying with the standards is mandatory.

Can you post for the education of all the standards that are mandatory and those that are not.

7 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Right! You may legally sell almost anything, whether it is legal to use or not. Did you notice those are on 20# cylinders, they are/were legal for semi-permanent tanks. I have seen them on tanks at houses years ago, the LP supplier locked the valve for non-payment.

In the context of RV use, NFPA 1192 applies. In the context of residential use, it does not. Obviously there are a number of ways to block access to both RV and residential LP valves that can be easily purchased. The valve access requirement is typically for emergency use to turn off the gas flow, where a dealer locking a tank for non-payment would typically mean the valve is already turned off, and the lock is to prevent turning it back on. Or a lock could be used to lock out a tank valve while a gas line is being serviced. Neither events normally apply to RV use though...

Dutch

Most states adopted NFPA standards into their regulation by incorporation, same with the national electric standards, etc.  All RV manufacturers follow the RV standards, which incorporate standards from various organization.  Nothing in those standards saying you can’t secure your cylinders, only that the shut off valve be accessible by emergency personnel when it is hooked up to your rig.  They also require that tanks be vented to the atmosphere.  Would anyone disagree with that?  I truly don’t understand what I keep seeing.  If more  people followed best practices there wouldn’t have been standards and regulations promulgated in answer to injuries and death. 

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

No one argues to not vent the tanks to atmosphere. OP and I want our tanks secured from vandals and thieves. I can find no state or federal law that says I can't lock the cover to protect the valve on my RV. No one can seem to site one for my education. What a manufacturer of the RV is required to do doesn't affect what I can do with my RV. The exception is emissions on the engine.

Edited by Sehc
spelling