How do I remove the back from the mirror

Brad & Jacolyn

Good morning,

My passenger side mirror has stopped moving. It will move manually but I'm afraid to do that for fear of breaking something. The only thing I have done so far is check the fuse and it is good. The drivers side moves. I checked the resource guide and did not find what I was looking for. I have to admit I have not tore into things yet to start checking wires and electricity etc because I have been moving down the road. But I thought that before I started that I better find out any tricks to remove the mirror back. Who knows this may become a WCR project.

Brad

Edited by Brad & Jacolyn

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

35 minutes ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Good morning,

My passenger side mirror has stopped moving. It will move manually but I'm afraid to do that for fear of breaking something. The only thing I have done so far is check the fuse and it is good. The drivers side moves. I checked the resource guide and did not find what I was looking for. I have to admit I have not tore into things yet to start checking wires and electricity etc because I have been moving down the road. But I thought that before I started that I better find out any tricks to remove the mirror back. Who knows this may become a WCR project.

Brad

Brad,

Don't know how to link but look up Volvo VNL 630 Mirror Removal and Antennae Replacement on YouTube. Shows how. Also several other videos.  

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Wow Brad!!!!   If I were there with you, I could actually help you do this because it's someplace where I don't have to crawl under the dash of my smart to get to!!!!

Also check the door control button for some rust from any rain that might have dropped in there.   Good luck.   I'm probably going to need to replace my passenger mirror.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Thanks for the direction guys. It looks easy to do now I just hope to find the problem in the switch. That should be easy to remove.

Rocky they also have videos for removing the entire mirror assembly. Hope you are getting all healed up. I hear that takes longer when you reach your advanced years.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Our passenger mirror has done the same thing.  First time (5+ years ago), I manuevered the mirror by hand and shot my favorite flavor of pentrating oil on the actuator screws and freed them.  Recently, the wiring in the door has gone flakey.  I can usually get it to work by banging on the door.🙄  Swapping switches didn't change which door was affected.  I most likely have a broken wire in the door harness.

Of course, you only think about fixing such things when you're trying to back into a tight spot, in the dark, in the rain.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 5/10/2019 at 6:26 PM, rickeieio said:

Of course, you only think about fixing such things when you're trying to back into a tight spot, in the dark, in the rain.......

I can't help you with that "rain" thing but you know how to solve that "dark" problem, don't you?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

11 hours ago, Big5er said:

I can't help you with that "rain" thing but you know how to solve that "dark" problem, don't you?

Yes but I believe Sondra and Dave K purchased all the RV lights in the country for their trailer.

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

11 hours ago, Big5er said:

Park while it's still light? 🤔

The real issue is seeing what's off to the side of the trailer, where back-up lights do little.  I don't see as well in the dark as I used to.  I guess I need to eat more carrots.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Well I went to the utube video and a couple of others (Thanks guys) and now I know how to remove the back of the mirror (and have the skinned up knuckles to prove it). I did that and even pulled the mirror moving part out and disassembled that. Not the easiest thing to do since there are 3 wires on it and no connections to unplug it. Everything appears to be in order so it may be electric problem. This means that I have hit the extent that I understand. Hopefully the WCR will have some experts available with some expertise in this area. Even when I had things apart I did not know what to touch to test. All I know for sure is the only fuse I find for mirrors is good, all the buttons on the door control light up when I press them and the drivers side works. Guess I will use it manually for now.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

13 hours ago, Big5er said:

This dark thing is the reason you join the 230 club. 2:30 in the afternoon OR 230 miles and park it. You now have lots of time to fix a drink and get out the chairs to watch the people that are not real good at backing up RV's (there are lots of them and you may even learn some new words.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Pop the switches out or just swap the plug over to the other switch and see if it works.  Super easy to do, and it will tell you if the switch is good.

I took my switches out a while back when one was going flakey.  It worked intermittently.  Apparently, the jostling about knocked some debris out, as it's been fine ever since.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 5:25 PM, rickeieio said:

Pop the switches out or just swap the plug over to the other switch and see if it works.  Super easy to do, and it will tell you if the switch is good.

I took my switches out a while back when one was going flakey.  It worked intermittently.  Apparently, the jostling about knocked some debris out, as it's been fine ever since.

The switches on the door are all combined into one and there is only one plug that has about 20 connections in it.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

On 5/21/2019 at 10:00 AM, Brad & Jacolyn said:

The switches on the door are all combined into one and there is only one plug that has about 20 connections in it.

I had window problems as described by Rick. Window rolls down in 2” increments. Nothing I did seemed to help. I disassembled the switch hoping I could clean out some ️ or 💩. No luck 

The bunch of wires are mostly white with orange stripes. There are lots of them.  I tried testing to see which were hot and succeeded in blowing the fuse. Wishing you better luck!

i bought a cheap eBay replacement and it looked new but performed like the old one. I got a second replacement free of charge but have not tested it yet. 

Just sayin it seems like the boards all have the same switches and prone to the same trouble. Brad, I hope your wiring gets sorted out more easily. 

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I popped mine out yesterday, and I have individual switches.

I've determined I have a broken wire in the snakes nest of wires in the door.  Until the problem gets worse, it will be tough to isolate.

Good luck..........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Rick when you say you have individual switches do you mean inside the switch or outside going into the door panel? I have several switches but they are all in one assembly and only have one plug on the back. Are you going to take the assembly apart? When I press the button for the passenger side mirror the switch lights up but then nothing moves (one the passenger side) when the buttons are pressed. The drivers side works fine.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

I'll try to remember to look again tomorrow.  But I have an '01, might be different.  I'm talking door switches though.

On ours, the switch plate pops out of the door, and it contains the window and mirror switches.  It's a little difficult to get it started, but it does lift out to where you can access the individual switches.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Something I happened across on the Gen 2 trucks is the drivers side is the “Brains” and the passenger is the “child”! Everything goes though the drivers side switch to operate the function. Pull the switches on both sides and remove the connectors and spray some electric contact cleaner on the switch and the connectors. On Gen 2 trucks the switch panels are just snapped in. Can be removed without removing the door panel. Not sure if this pertains to Gen 1 trucks so if not just disregard!

Edited by DesertMiner

16 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I'll try to remember to look again tomorrow.  But I have an '01, might be different.  I'm talking door switches though.

On ours, the switch plate pops out of the door, and it contains the window and mirror switches.  It's a little difficult to get it started, but it does lift out to where you can access the individual switches.

Mine is an 04 and the entire switch assembly pops right out. It is all one unit. I was afraid to to start pulling out screws to take it apart. Is that what you are suggesting I do?

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

1 hour ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Mine is an 04 and the entire switch assembly pops right out. It is all one unit. I was afraid to to start pulling out screws to take it apart. Is that what you are suggesting I do?

Brad

No, I have to go check again, but I know I didn't take out any screws.  I had the window switches out and reversed them recently, but haven't had the mirror switches out lately.  Trying to go on memory here, but it ain't what it used to be.

I'm surprised nobody else has offered a suggestion ( besides Lawrence).  We can't be the only ones who've ever had this issue.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Rick, I too will be popping my mirror switch out again to see if I can make it work.  My passenger side mirror has always been an issue.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (mostly doesn't when parking the rig on a blind side backup)!  After reading all y'all's posts, I'm thinking about just switching my switches!  I never have to move my driver side, so if it is the switch only that is the problem, that should take care of that.  I will give the both a shot of contact cleaner though.  I have the '01 like you.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Due to the intermittenness (is that a word?) of the problem, I believe the problem is in the harness.  Flexing wires for near 20 years might cause them to quit holding hands.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I appreciate the help guys but you keep saying reverse the switches. Mine is all one assembly and any switches are inside of the assembly. Nothing is individual and there is just one big plug on the back of it. To get to an individual switch the assembly would need to be disassembled. All controls for the mirror is on the drivers side. I'm hoping that when we get to the WCR someone will have the same type of switch and maybe we can swap them to test if mine really works or the problem is in the wiring or mirror.

Brad 

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we are at the WCR and the problem is fixed. I found a switch and we swapped mine into his truck and it works (Thanks Tom). Then Dennis (Thanks Dennis) found a plug buried between the top door hinge and the fender and the plug was pinched a bit, cracked and unplugged. We got it loose, cleaned up and plugged back in and the up and down worked but not the in and out. Now since I did not find the plug the first time and took the assembly apart while hanging from the wires I guessed I did something inside there. So now I know how to unhook the wires and removed the motor assembly again and took it apart on the table. Found one wire disconnected from one of the motors. It is all back together now and working. AND I did not bleed this time. Can't explain that part.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"