GOODBY direct tv satellites....

8 hours ago, TLRam1 said:

How can I have a movie on my computer and through the picture to my TV without a cable?

Depends on whether you have a Smart TV or not.  If so, the interface is built in.  If not, you need to buy one.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roku, Chromecast and AppleTV have the advantage of receiving repeated updates.  SmarTV's often don't receive software updates for more than the first year after they are sold.  I have a Samsung smart TV and use a Roku instead of the TV's built-in interface because the Roku is faster, easier to use and more stable.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I agree, our two SmartTV's built-in features go unused, and we have Roku, Apple TV, and Xbox for media consumption.  But for casting a display, the UI and software don't matter.  You're mostly controlling it from the computer.

On if sat TV will be around. Do any of you remember the big c band dishes. Ours still worked when we sold house. Talking with new owner, my nephew, subject came up about c band. He said they still get some programming on it. I did upgrade it to digital equipment while I was still there. Granted you not going to get HBO or such but it still works. That decades old tec. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I understand what you're getting at, my point is that the two can't be compared.  Nobody I knew was predicting the death of C-band, because it's multi-purpose, while the small dish satellites have a single purpose.  But then I work in telecom and was using those dishes for two-way at the time.  There's no alternate use for the satellites serving the small dishes.

14 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I understand what you're getting at, my point is that the two can't be compared.  Nobody I knew was predicting the death of C-band, because it's multi-purpose, while the small dish satellites have a single purpose.  But then I work in telecom and was using those dishes for two-way at the time.  There's no alternate use for the satellites serving the small dishes.

Echostar has a number of KU and KA band sats in orbit providing services other than the DBS market using much smaller dishes than C-band.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

This is a Vizio Smart TV from 2010, it does not have Bluetooth. I currently run a HDMI cable to the computer to TV. I am looking to buying a Roku but still do not understand how to through my computer picture to the TV w/o a HDMI cable.

Thank you for your help.

Terry

4 hours ago, Carlos said:

Yup, and another reason to kill the small dish market, so they can use more of the bandwidth for those services.

With spot beams, there's more than enough bandwidth to go around...

Dutch

3 hours ago, TLRam1 said:

This is a Vizio Smart TV from 2010, it does not have Bluetooth. I currently run a HDMI cable to the computer to TV. I am looking to buying a Roku but still do not understand how to through my computer picture to the TV w/o a HDMI cable.

Thank you for your help.

I bought from Best Buy, a iogear unit from the television department.  The receiver plugs into an HDMI port on the back of your TV.  There is a small dongle (?) that plugs into the computer.  Load the software into the computer.  I can show everything on the computer without having to connect with a hard cable.  Don't quote me, but I think it does this through bluetooth (the unit provides this, no need for the tv or computer to have blutooth), I'm not sure but I'm sure it works good!

How is your computer connected to the internet to stream your movies?  Are you connected to a modem, or are you using your phone for a hotspot?  There are apps to let your phone connect to your smart-tv skipping your computer altogether.   Android based phones have smartcast app on it from the store and can easily connect to a smart tv with smartcast, or some call it all cast, or mirror.  If you have an apple iphone, it is a fight I gave up on.  With android, your not using your monthly hotspot allowance to cast, or mirror.  With iphone, using apple tv, etc, you are burning up hotspot data.

Found it on Best Buy, looks like a newer model than mine but it will work for you.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/iogear-wireless-video-audio-extender-black/5826501.p?skuId=5826501

I use a 3ft HDMI cable to connect it to my smart tv.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

NDBirdman,

What a great job, I think you covered most everything I needed info on and a link as to what to buy.

The little I looked around the Apple TV seemed to be around 180 dollars and I don't know what limits there are being a Apple product. My preference was not to buy something proprietary that limits me, the I/O gear does not seem to do that and the price being reasonable.

I would be doing it from a computer with Win 10 from my home wireless wifi network. I have thought about using my iphone in my bedroom and using this setup (I/O Gear) in the living room. The bedroom is secondary and not as important, just  in the thought process.

I have bluetooth on the computer but not the TV, I read video would over task Bluetooth, idk. 

Terry

On 4/20/2019 at 1:44 AM, TLRam1 said:

NDBirdman,

What a great job, I think you covered most everything I needed info on and a link as to what to buy.

The little I looked around the Apple TV seemed to be around 180 dollars and I don't know what limits there are being a Apple product. My preference was not to buy something proprietary that limits me, the I/O gear does not seem to do that and the price being reasonable.

I would be doing it from a computer with Win 10 from my home wireless wifi network. I have thought about using my iphone in my bedroom and using this setup (I/O Gear) in the living room. The bedroom is secondary and not as important, just  in the thought process.

I have bluetooth on the computer but not the TV, I read video would over task Bluetooth, idk. 

Glad to help!  I bought one of those Apple TV gadgets, tried to get it to mirror, it will not.  I returned that unit, it does not mirror anything but acts like a stand alone unit that requires burning up hotspot data.  The I/O unit will not work with iphone, their grip on propriety BS makes the phone very unfriendly to me.  If I did not need it to connect to my hearing aids, I would throw it in the river and go back to my easy to use and very cooperative android phone.  For now, I connect the iphone to the tube via an apple adapter and HDMI cable.. hate that!

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

On 4/20/2019 at 1:44 AM, TLRam1 said:

NDBirdman,

Why use the computer at all? Not needed. Our TV in the living room is a dumb tv. Plays great and looks great. I just got the Roku Ultimate with the remote that you talk into to for info. Hook up with an HDMI cable. Roku uses the wifi signal in our camper.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Why use the computer at all? Not needed. Our TV in the living room is a dumb tv. Plays great and looks great. I just got the Roku Ultimate with the remote that you talk into to for info. Hook up with an HDMI cable. Roku uses the wifi signal in our camper.

I bought he Roku last night, Green box sku 3800RW, the one the guy told me I need w/voice remote. That will allow me to stream Pluto TV, Tube TV among other services.

Heading to Best Buy today to purchase the IO Gear device NDBirdman told me about. I need that for movies I find on the computer to watch on the TV. There may be better ways, being a cable subscriber for the last 18 years I am new to streaming and the IO Gear seems to fit the bill but I am open to other ideas.

Terry

On 4/19/2019 at 5:18 PM, TLRam1 said:

I am looking to buying a Roku but still do not understand how to through my computer picture to the TV w/o a HDMI cable.

A  Roku (or Chromecast or Amazon Fire) eliminates the need to have to connect your computer to your TV.  Those devices themselves connect to your wifi network and access content directly off of the internet.    Yes, a Chromecast can make it seem as if you are directly "casting" your computer's screen to the TV, but, in reality, a direct internet connection is being made from the device, based on the URL information it receives from your computer.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

56 minutes ago, docj said:

A  Roku (or Chromecast or Amazon Fire) eliminates the need to have to connect your computer to your TV.  Those devices themselves connect to your wifi network and access content directly off of the internet.    Yes, a Chromecast can make it seem as if you are directly "casting" your computer's screen to the TV, but, in reality, a direct internet connection is being made from the device, based on the URL information it receives from your computer.

Thank Doc, I know I can stream through the Roku but the movies I find are not on a particular steaming site, I need a browser to search for the movies, these are pirated movies someone has uploaded on a rogue site. My TV or Roku would need to have a browser built in and one I can do add-ons to eliminate the viral popups or overlays that redirect you to another rogue site.

I use Chrome browser where I can add the add-ons otherwise it is hard to get to the actual movie, hince why I use a computer and through it onto the TV.

Terry

41 minutes ago, TLRam1 said:

I need a browser to search for the movies, these are pirated movies someone has uploaded on a rogue site.

I presume you understand the risks associated with watching pirated content on "rogue" sites.  Not only are there the obvious legal risks, but there's also a very real risk that your ISP could shut down your internet access.  

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

With all the legal content available with various free streaming apps, including hundreds of movies, I don't know why anyone would risk the potential legal and security issues associated with pirated content.

Dutch

For us it’s mostly about convenience. The Netflix UI is pretty good, but many of the others are pretty bad. Sometimes it is easier to just have the automatic pirating software take care of it then to deal with the legal method. We subscribe to several of the services, and still may pirate some shows. 

Theres zero risk if you do it right, and a very small risk of a tiny penalty even if you do it wrong. We’ve been internet only for TV for about 15 years. Back then piracy was the only option. 

Archived