Do you have any weight issues on your RV?

Roadtrek 1

Everyone knows that purchasing a Class B means that they have to compromise on space.  Extra space is very nice provided you can use it

One thing I hardly ever worry about is weight.   I guess that's an advantage especially with the dual wheels on the Sprinter 3500 chassis. Do you have any weight issues and have you weighed your rig?   

It's a good idea to know your load capacity, wouldn't you agree? 

5 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Do you have any weight issues

No.

have you weighed your rig?   

Yes

It's a good idea to know your load capacity, wouldn't you agree? 

Yes

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

No issues, Yes we have weighed. Yes we know all our capacities.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I found 4-corner weighing to be the most helpful. Because I was traveling solo in my last Class B, I had to put tools and canned goods in the passenger area to balance my load. One of my friends took out his passenger seat and put a refrigerator there. Your vehicle tracks better when the load is properly distributed.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

I found 4-corner weighing to be the most helpful. Because I was traveling solo in my last Class B, I had to put tools and canned goods in the passenger area to balance my load. One of my friends took out his passenger seat and put a refrigerator there. Your vehicle tracks better when the load is properly distributed.

Linda

Linda, I agree.....do you have the dual wheels on your Sportsmobile?

4 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Linda, I agree.....do you have the dual wheels on your Sportsmobile?

It did. I no longer have it though. It's already on its second owner since I quit RVing. The second owner loved it but when she moved to the Texas Gulf Coast she worried about rust so she resold it.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 minutes ago, sandsys said:

It did. I no longer have it though. It's already on its second owner since I quit RVing. The second owner loved it but when she moved to the Texas Gulf Coast she worried about rust so she resold it.

Linda

Oh... I missed the part that you quit RVing...   I see that she must have been right close to the coast if she was worried about rust....a downside of living too close to the ocean.   I live in Southern California but not close to the beach.    

So...are you planning on getting another RV?   I guess it depends a lot on your situation ...seem to recall that your spouse couldn't go? 

The only thing I've heard about the dual wheels is it makes the ride a little more rough in the rear...and fuel mileage suffers a little with the dual wheels...I like it for t stability, safety and weight capacity... I seriously don't think that two tires on the same side would ever blow out together... just not likely. Plus, when turning, there's just more rubber on the road.....

It was a number one priority for me when I started looking at Class B's... which is why I dismissed all of the Chevy Express 3500 Roadtrek models ....the Sprinter was the only one that had the dual wheels. 

2 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

he only thing I've heard about the dual wheels is it makes the ride a little more rough in the rear...and fuel mileage suffers a little with the dual wheels...I like it for t stability, safety and weight capacity... I seriously don't think that two tires on the same side would ever blow out together... just not likely. Plus, when turning, there's just more rubber on the road.

I custom ordered my Sprinter so I got the suspension system designed for vehicles that carry their loads high like RVs with upper cabinets do. It rode better than our other Sprinters.

Linda

12 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

I suspect that most RVers have weight issues with their set up and the wise ones act accordingly. The issue is load capacity/distribution and the knowledge is what guides them. I've been weighed a few times due to some changes that I've made and curiosity. On a side note; there's been an increase in activity on this forum and I've noticed that you, Roadtrek 1, have started more threads than anyone recently, and they've all, except this one thus far (and without edits), incited dialog. This can make a forum more interesting to read vs laying dormant in wait of a topic to chime in on. Funny, in your threads part of me sees a guy with notepad in hand & press card in hatband seeking info for a yet to be written article or book, and part of me sees a guy just trying to incite dialog for the sake of it on a recently joined forum. Either way, there's been some interesting reading here as of late.

I had mine weighed at CatScales...a professional and commercial scale operation.

After I had it weighed I discovered that my Sprinter seemed to be out of compliance with the weight and specifications on my vehicle sticker....I thought for a moment that I had a front axle of around 4,000 pounds...turns out after contacting Roadtrek...the axle was actually 4,400 pounds instead of the 4,200 or so...it made a difference for the front end.... Back end weight is so robust... I'll never have to worry about that and in the middle it's fine as far as weight is concerned...

The only thing about the 170 inch wheelbase is the dynamic forces that put a lot of stress and vibration on the rear tail... because of this,  several companies told me that they would not warranty their product for a bicycle rack...Kuat said they could do it...and I haven't decided yet ....it's the most expensive solution....

Listen, I know many of you have said...WOW... maybe he doesn't like his RV? Sometimes I've felt like that.... especially when the CEL light illuminated on 3 separate occasions...OR... something else went sideways...

It's an expensive thing...and even though I purchased it used...I immediately changed some things to make it safer for me and nicer... with features of a newer model .... that all costs money..... I'll probably never recoup those upgrades... except that it's safer and makes me feel better driving it... that's OK.....

SO... maybe I'll just keep it longer.....I do love it when it's all working fine....I don't work on my rig.... I get it professionally done.... Time will tell.....

I had mine weighed at CatScales...a professional and commercial scale operation.

That only tells you part of what you need to know to balance things accurately. It gives you axle weight ratings and you then assume that the sides both weight the same, which is highly unlikely for an RV. Weighing each wheel with portable scales is the only way to actually know what each tire is carrying.

Smart Weigh              RVSEF                                    

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Well, the other way is to find a mover's scale at a slack time of the day & bring donuts. If you don't need "certified" , scales now usually have an outside readout. I found one that I could  weigh individual wheels with no curb at the side. And BTW, I'm just under 40K total.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Archived