Jump to content

Have you had more trouble selling an RV over 100,000 miles?


Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

There are a lot more folks that can't buy 10 years or newer than those that can .

Really? So.. they pay cash for older RVs with over 100,000 miles? 

Do they care?   Maybe not?   I don't know....

How old is your coach? What model?

Edited by Roadtrek 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The free market is a simple thing. If you price a 10 year old, 100,000 mile RV appropriately, you'll find someone who has that amount of money that will buy it.  And of course some people pay cash for older RV's. Heck, we paid cash for our brand new RV.  This is not a one size fits all world. 

I had an 11 year old truck with 160,000 mile on it. I priced it appropriately and sold it quickly. Had I held out for an unreasonably high price it would have sold more slowly or not at all. 

There is nothing magic about 10 years or 100,000 miles. Is it worth less than the same RV at 5 years and 50,000 miles. Of course it is. 

So many of your threads seem to deal with how poor an "investment" an RV is, how much financing adds to that cost, how expensive it is (or isn't) to full time, and finally now how hard an older RV might be to sell.  Is there some reason that $$$ is such an important topic to you?

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMHO someone who thinks that 100,000 miles is an issue for a large-block diesel doesn't know enough to buy one.  I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but for engines like that 100,000 miles is barely broken in.  Sure the mileage affects most of the other parts, but if this is your mindset you'd probably be better off buying something new. JMO

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, docj said:

IMHO someone who thinks that 100,000 miles is an issue for a large-block diesel doesn't know enough to buy one.  I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but for engines like that 100,000 miles is barely broken in.  Sure the mileage affects most of the other parts, but if this is your mindset you'd probably be better off buying something new. JMO

 

Depreciation....at this age (19 years) mileage is less important.. condition is the most important criteria.

Values

 
Suggested
List Price
Low
Retail
Average
Retail
Base Price
$333,715
$36,900
$44,450
Options (Add)
 
 
Total Price
$333,715
$36,900
$44,450
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here we go again!  You didn't ask about depreciation, you asked if selling a 10 year old RV with 100,000 miles was troublesome. Doc is exactly right. 100,000 miles on a well-maintained diesel engine is no big deal, but that doesn't stop the vehicle from depreciating. 

A ten-year old diesel pusher with 100,00 miles, well cared for, could be a great deal for the right person. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

The free market is a simple thing. If you price a 10 year old, 100,000 mile RV appropriately, you'll find someone who has that amount of money that will buy it.  And of course some people pay cash for older RV's. Heck, we paid cash for our brand new RV.  This is not a one size fits all world. 

I had an 11 year old truck with 160,000 mile on it. I priced it appropriately and sold it quickly. Had I held out for an unreasonably high price it would have sold more slowly or not at all. 

There is nothing magic about 10 years or 100,000 miles. Is it worth less than the same RV at 5 years and 50,000 miles. Of course it is. 

So many of your threads seem to deal with how poor an "investment" an RV is, how much financing adds to that cost, how expensive it is (or isn't) to full time, and finally now how hard an older RV might be to sell.  Is there some reason that $$$ is such an important topic to you?

Depreciation is everything if you intend to sell... that's the only time resale value is important.   I see that 5th wheels are just as bad with depreciation as everything else.... unfortunate. 

2012 Nu-Wa

Discover America Fifth Wheel Series M-330 FK Prices

Values
 
 

Values

 
Suggested
List Price
Low
Retail
Average
Retail
Base Price
$82,160
$25,350
$30,550
Options (Add)
 
 
Total Price
$82,160
$25,350
$30,550
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

So many of your threads seem to deal with how poor an "investment" an RV is, how much financing adds to that cost, how expensive it is (or isn't) to full time, and finally now how hard an older RV might be to sell.  Is there some reason that $$$ is such an important topic to you?

x2

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a reason for this topic other than arguing about older RV's and what they may or may not sell for?

Also what is with the large bold font?  That seems like "shouting" to me.  Kind of like typing in all caps. 

 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Al F said:

Is there a reason for this topic other than arguing about older RV's and what they may or may not sell for?

Also what is with the large bold font?  That seems like "shouting" to me.  Kind of like typing in all caps. 

 

No ... sorry... just copied text from NADA...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were paying $9000 to $10000 a year in Property taxes in Texas. We bought our motorhome in 2011 for $149900 new. The list price was $232,000. We've owned it since September 2011.  So 7 1/2 years taxes @ $9500 = $71250 current value is a little over $100000. We would only have to get $78650 to break even. We don't plan on selling for another 10+ years. So as I see it we saved money and have a wonderful  life traveling and enjoying living. We didn't buy it as an investment and don't care if we end up getting next to nothing. Priced right anything will sell.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Here's the thing.....it's like a game of musical chairs...I would like to "get out" before the value and our use of the RV is closer to zero.

See, that’s the wrong idea about an RV.  We will run ours until we hang up the keys.  We don’t worry what we will get for it.  To worn out, sell for salvage, OUR REWARD HAS BEEN OVER A DECADE SEEING THE COUNTRY!

She has ~160K miles, runs along with a 8.8 mpg (over 14 years), she gets all maintenance and if something is worn, it gets replaced before it breaks.  Sure we put some money into upgrades - still cheaper than buying another rig.  

Maybe because we both had life threatening illnesses and know that we only have a limited number of years left to make memories to sustain us when we can no longer get out and go.  I feel sad that all you focus on is $$$$

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

She has ~160K miles, runs along with a 8.8 mpg (over 14 years), she gets all maintenance and if something is worn, it gets replaced before it breaks.  Sure we put some money into upgrades - still cheaper than buying another rig. 

I agree with this. 

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Maybe because we both had life threatening illnesses and know that we only have a limited number of years left to make memories to sustain us when we can no longer get out and go.  I feel sad that all you focus on is $$$$

Very sorry to hear that....yes enjoy.   Money is important to everyone, especially if you need assistance in your last few years.....a lot of people don't realize that Medicare doesn't cover long term care....

Sure.... I understand memories....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...