Jump to content

Ground hog lied


runaway parents
 Share

Recommended Posts

Run W P

.......we hear ya........shucks here on the edge of Death Valley I was in the middle of my geezer nap in the Zero-Chair and a cloud the size of a VW bus blew by the sun and I had to put my socks on to paddle over to get another Dr. Pepper......

Plenty of snow in the high peaks around Death Valley but so far Hawaii shirts work fine.....

Our kids up in Bend, Oregon finally have enough white stuff to ski on and on .....and.....on

 

 

Drive on.............( S  N  O   W   ..............4-letter-word) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here in the ski capital of the east a early spring means you can mow the lawn the last week in May instead of the middle of June. Dollytrolley if your kids want to ski send them my way, three days of rain and warm temps, ended this afternoon, and we still have 1 1/2 feet of snow, and I am at the bottom of a mountain.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well here in Northern Central Florida it was absolutely Frigid. I had to actually close the sunroof last night as it was too cool for my wife to be comfortable with the windows down...at 80....on the interstate...Which is going slow for I-4.

 

BTW did you know that every time a shovel full of sunshine is removed, another just flows in filling the void. It's an ALL day job.

I have found however that I can keep the sunshine off the drive for a small patch at a time if I hold down my lawn chair over top of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Parrformance said:

It is bad here in central Florida too, we had 84 degrees yesterday and it took me two hours to shovel the sunshine off the driveway before I could go to work.😎

 

9 hours ago, solo318 said:

Well here in Northern Central Florida it was absolutely Frigid. I had to actually close the sunroof last night as it was too cool for my wife to be comfortable with the windows down...at 80....on the interstate...Which is going slow for I-4.

 

BTW did you know that every time a shovel full of sunshine is removed, another just flows in filling the void. It's an ALL day job.

I have found however that I can keep the sunshine off the drive for a small patch at a time if I hold down my lawn chair over top of it.

HmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmB)sounds like somebody needs a truck load of this s----tuff shipped to them I have plenty to share all you have to do is pay for shipping.HaHaHa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, adept99 said:

Hey Rick;

Only 20' deep?? Shoot, John Deere is supposed to be bringing out a Wet Kit for tractors and combines. Comes with a special tank rack for extra air tanks, a 50' floating snorkel, and a special high zoot ECM for damp enviroments.  Careful of the currents and high tides.

Retirement means I can sit in Texas, or anywhere else, and pull up the weather back home.  Our daughter says our shop is now "waterfront property."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2019 at 6:17 PM, Lance A Lott said:

Here in the ski capital of the east a early spring means you can mow the lawn the last week in May instead of the middle of June. Dollytrolley if your kids want to ski send them my way, three days of rain and warm temps, ended this afternoon, and we still have 1 1/2 feet of snow, and I am at the bottom of a mountain.  

L. Lott,

Thanks for the offer for sending some white junk to the kids.........but the local weather man says tonight it WILL snow FIVE FEET for sure on the Santiam just West of town and very likely be SIX FEET of NEW SNOW by morning...........

Kids are 40 now so.......snow is starting to be a royal pain.....

SIX FEET in one night is not much fun but years ago we lived just West of Sisters, Oregon on the McKenzie pass highway where the snowblowers turned around........One night it snowed EIGHT FEET........It took a hour with a D-8 Cat dozer to clean out our 200 ft driveway we drove to Redmond pulled a airplane out of the hanger .......Flew to Seattle......Caught a flight to Hilo hung out with some old school friends for two weeks then returned to our Sisters home..........that night a little storm blew in and only dropped SEVEN FEET of new snow.......

With the old D-8 dozer I got lazy .........at the end of our drive way I would just push the snow berm out into our North horse pasture and just make a ramp of packed snow to push more and more snow as it kept piling up in the driveway with each fresh snowfall......eventually as winter turned into spring (2nd Oregon-winter) the packed 80Ft long X 15 Ft high ramp turned into a........Blue-iceberg in the pasture........people would stop in the middle of the road to gaze at the "iceberg" in June..........as the 'berg" melted it irrigated the pasture enough that we did not have to sprinkle the pasture until August that year (92).........

The only daylight we had in the house for three months were the living room window on the South side and Kitchen window on the North side that we kept dug out for fire escape.........

People wonder why we like Death Valley camping in the winter just need to spend a winter in our old Sisters home........

Drive on.........(FIVE FEET is plenty of SNOW for........ one night)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

FIVE FEET is plenty of SNOW for........ one night)

Dollytrolley, I now know where I am not spending the winters after the last kid is out of school! The wife and I hope to start traveling summers sort of looking for a place to settle. I lean toward  both summer and winter places,  but with probably 4 horses and my parents that may be doubtful. Perhaps a winter home where the folks and 2 horses can stay while we roam for the summer. 

I have relatives in Oregon but they never mention snow. I cant remember where they are it's near the Washington border. They cross a big bridge to do there shopping. 

My wife got rained out of Death Valley once, before I met her. If you put her and Pat McManus together in a tent the animals would start to gather two by two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any body have a recipe for bbq ed ground hog!! I live in a double wide that was built in the banana belt wasn't built with any snow load in mind.So it doesn't take much snow before it starts breaking  2x2 trusses. Found this out in 96 xmas day. I was getting nervous about snow load. Went up on the roof to shovel it off and went threw it. Broke 3 trusses and two rafters. All made out of 2x2s. At that time the roof had 13 inches of snow on it. So when forecast say up to 12 inches I start getting nervous last Friday night we got 12inches so Saturday I warmed up the hydraulics on 32 in wide super ace hdwe D handle snow shovel. And got up there and got it cleared off got about 3 inches last night and forcast is calling for 11 tonight we will see. Probably will need to keep block heater plugged in  to keep my shovel warmed up .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

Dollytrolley, I now know where I am not spending the winters after the last kid is out of school! The wife and I hope to start traveling summers sort of looking for a place to settle. I lean toward  both summer and winter places,  but with probably 4 horses and my parents that may be doubtful. Perhaps a winter home where the folks and 2 horses can stay while we roam for the summer. 

I have relatives in Oregon but they never mention snow. I cant remember where they are it's near the Washington border. They cross a big bridge to do there shopping. 

My wife got rained out of Death Valley once, before I met her. If you put her and Pat McManus together in a tent the animals would start to gather two by two.

L. L.

Yes indeed the .....dream......of the perfect year around home is......a "dream"......that a bit elusive so far....

When I was a bird-boy we had a winter home in Tucson that worked fine for..... Dollymama.......she rode Annie (horse before Dolly) ......while I flew daily the the WORST darn weather in North America or S. America or Europe or, or, ..... anyhow Tucson worked well except...... summer......is REALLY SUMMER......HOT.....and then MONSOON season would make Florida seem dry.......

After flying in blizzards to remote locations for several days and then flying in from weather from the frozen North to arrive in balmy Tucson at 11:20 PM ......I would be a bit tired and need some warm desert time..... except....in 42 hours I was due to land in Moosebutt MT in another blizzard to pick up someone or something to fly to some other bad weather location......some days we flew to locations because the roads were closed due to bad weather.....gee .....boy oh boy gee this is going to be a delightful flight today....

Once in a while Grumps would fly along on a bad weather trip and would mutter....."too bad you were too poor a driver to drive a truck ......but I suppose flying is easy enough for you to make a little money to survive"

Still looking for that year around location.....

 

Drive on.......(Grumps was right..... except......when he was wrong....)

 

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...