Texas Hill Country w/ Motorcycles

rickeieio

We're planning to explore the Texas Hill country in February, and will have motorcycles with us.  Where would be some good campgrounds, centrally located, and bike friendly?  We plan to spend some time in the San Antonio area, so relatively close to there would be good too.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Bandera is about 40 miles west of San Antonio and sits right in the middle of the most popular riding areas in the Hill Country, including the "Three Sisters" ride. There are a number of RV campgrounds, all of which are motorcycle friendly. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Use Motorcylceroads.com to see the best routes and then use a campground guide to pick a campground(s) that provides the best access to the roads you want to ride. (rvparky, rvparkreviews, etc)

Mid/Late March (to early April) is a good time for consideration because the wildflowers (bluebonnets) would be blooming in the Hill country. It is the most beautiful time of the year in Central Texas.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Parkview Riverside RV Park is a nice park. It is across the river from Garner State park and a short ride to Leakey where you can hook up to any one of the Three sisters.  

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

In my searching, I find that while the nightly fees seem okay, some places charge as much as $6/day extra for additional vehicles. Smart and two bikes can get pricey.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

We are currently staying in Skyline Ranch rv park in Bandera until the end of the month.  Just rode the Sisters yesterday!  Nice place.

Jim & Teri

2000 Volvo 770 with 2016 Smart

2008 Newmar X-aire toyhauler

2017 Bmw R1200gs  2014 Honda Cb500x rally raid

As far as I know, it's street bikes in that area.  We'll have the bikes mentioned in my signature.  

We rode there about 18-20 years ago, and loved it.   Back then, we had a CBX and a Hawk GT.  Still have the CBX.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

If you are looking for a park near San Antonio, Gail and I are at Alsatian RV Resort  just a little west of San Antonio. It a very nice park with long paved pull through sites.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

51 minutes ago, sdixon747 said:

If you are looking for a park near San Antonio, Gail and I are at Alsatian RV Resort  just a little west of San Antonio. It a very nice park with long paved pull through sites.

Steve and Rick,

If you and your spouses have a chance go to “Durty Nelly’s” on the river walk.  One of my high school acquaintances used to be the piano man there.  Fun place.

http://www.durtynellyspub.com/

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The Three Sisters are twisty mountain roads - very nice.  There are non-paved ranch roads all over the area that are fun to explore.  We love to ride both, so we have dual sport/adventure bikes.

Jim & Teri

2000 Volvo 770 with 2016 Smart

2008 Newmar X-aire toyhauler

2017 Bmw R1200gs  2014 Honda Cb500x rally raid

5 hours ago, rickeieio said:

In my searching, I find that while the nightly fees seem okay, some places charge as much as $6/day extra for additional vehicles. Smart and two bikes can get pricey.

I don't have a smart but i do have two motorcycles and have never been charged extra for them in any parks i have stayed in that area.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

• 1 month later...

Lots of great roads in the Hill Country.  We spent a winter volunteering at the Uvalde National Fish Hatchery west of Honda and found lots of roads....Most were paved.  

One of my favorite places for exploring was while staying in Amado/Tubac, AZ.  Thousands of miles of gravel/dirt trails on public land in the desert and mountains to explore using the dual sports.  Loved sitting on top of the mountains around Whipple Observatory or enroute to Patagonia and looking over the valley with a book, drink, a few snacks and hearing nothing but the wind.......  

There is nothing like that around McAllen, TX.  We did ride the gravel part of Military Rd. out to 83 and then to Loma de la Cruz and on to Edinburg Airport.  Other than that there is only shopping malls and restaurants to ride to.

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

1 hour ago, mb36912 said:

Thousands of miles of gravel/dirt trails on public land in the desert and mountains to explore using the dual sports.  Loved sitting on top of the mountains around Whipple Observatory or enroute to Patagonia and looking over the valley with a book, drink, a few snacks and hearing nothing but the wind.......  

I LOVE my new Goldwing, but I miss my VStrom for EXACTLY this reason...not taking the Wing on gravel/dirt.

We're getting closer.  Leaving the SKP park near Mobile, AL in the morning, heading across the dreaded I-10 towards Houston.  Well likely get to the Hill Country in 4 or 5 days, unless we get held up by Phil (Big 5er) as we sneak through.

Phil, if you see this, give me a holler at 513.284.6927. Leave a message and I'll call ya back.

Lone Star SKP looks good, and cheap, but there are a couple other parks that are appealing too, and closer to friends who will be in San Antonio.

We're looking forward to unloading the bikes and exploring the twisties. Maybe there will be others from the forum we can meet up with while there.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

13 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Phil, if you see this, give me a holler at 513.284.692

ok

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

4 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

We're getting closer.  Leaving the SKP park near Mobile, AL in the morning, heading across the dreaded I-10 towards Houston.  Well likely get to the Hill Country in 4 or 5 days, unless we get held up by Phil (Big 5er) as we sneak through.

Phil, if you see this, give me a holler at 513.284.6927. Leave a message and I'll call ya back.

Lone Star SKP looks good, and cheap, but there are a couple other parks that are appealing too, and closer to friends who will be in San Antonio.

We're looking forward to unloading the bikes and exploring the twisties. Maybe there will be others from the forum we can meet up with while there.

Have you considered taking 10 / 12 to Baton Rouge , then 190 to Ragley and 12 down to Beaumont ? 

There's an older , reasonably priced , friendly campground on 190 a little east of Eunice , La . 

Cajun Campground . 5552 US-190, Eunice, LA 70535

Goes around , comes around .

I don't know what end of SA your friends are in but check out the Thousand Trails on Medina Lake. It's north west of SA.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived