EZ Passes for Class A with Tow Vehicle

Windtalker

10 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Yes, and is interoperable with KS and OK.

Texas toll roads all accept the NTTA - Toll Tag which is also accepted by KS and OK toll roads. The EZ Tag is from the Harris Co. toll authority and I believe is also accepted by all TX toll roads, but am not so sure about other states. The TX Tag is operated by TXDOT and seems to be an attempt to consolidate all of the various toll processing organizations. I have the transponder from NTTA but have only read about the TX-TAG.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A few years ago I was looking for a consolidated Texas toll road tag and none existed. I am happy to see a potential organizational effort to consolidate all the toll roads in TX. NTTA doesn't cover the toll roads around Houston(at least on what I have read), not sure about Austin. TXTAG seems to have potential for consolidation.

More research is needed on TXTAG and how MH+toad or just the toad is handled. I also don't like the idea of a permanent transponder and if there would be any conflict with other transponders one might have. At least the EZPASS transponder is removable and can go on different vehicles.

5 hours ago, SWharton said:

NTTA doesn't cover the toll roads around Houston(at least on what I have read), not sure about Austin. TXTAG seems to have potential for consolidation.

That may have once been true, but it is no longer true. From the NTTA website:

Does the NTTA TollTag work on other toll roads? 
Debit and credit card-backed TollTag function as payment on all other Texas toll roads, including TEXpress Lanes. The same process applies—toll payment is automatically deducted from a driver’s account each time their vehicle passes under a toll gantry. From Houston to Austin and Tyler to El Paso, you can enjoy convenient, automatic payment when driving across the great state of Texas.

Sticker-type TollTags backed by debit or credit cards work as payment for tolls in Oklahoma at the same cost-saving rate as the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority PikePass.

PLANO, Texas – June 13, 2017 – Just in time for summer travel, North Texas Tollway Authority (NTTA) sticker TollTags can be used to pay tolls on the Kansas Turnpike. Now, TollTag members have additional benefits as NTTA TollTags work on every toll road in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas.

From the NTTA website:

The NTTA is a crucial component of the transportation system in North Texas, operating more than 980 toll miles in the region including the  Dallas North Tollway, President George Bush Turnpike, Chisholm Trail Parkway, Addison Airport Toll Tunnel, Mountain Creek Lake Bridge, Sam Rayburn Tollway, Lewisville Lake Toll Bridge and 360 Tollway. All of these roadways serve as key connectors for people throughout the region.

No mention of Houston or Austin Toll Roads.

NTTA is the North Texas Tollway Authority. They are responsible for the toll roads in the DFW area. HCTRA (Harris County Toll Road Authority) plays the same role in the Houston area. And there are  now at least nine Regional Mobility Authorities (RMA's) around Texas that play a similar role. Some build and operate toll roads, some do not. 

The region that the Authority is responsible for has little to do with which toll tag works where. NTTA and HCTRA had the earliest toll roads and each developed their own toll tags. When the Central Texas RMA and other regions started building toll roads there was a move to begin to coordinate tags, and the TxTag was the result. 

The goal is eventually to have all of the tags working on all of the systems, as well as across other state platforms. But the independent and regional nature of the various authorities has made that somewhat challenging. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

2 hours ago, SWharton said:

No mention of Houston or Austin Toll Roads.

You need to look farther as it is there. Probably the easiest place to find it is in the Frequently Asked Questions section, but it is there at least one other location.  Just click on this link to Frequently Asked Questions. If you do then scroll down the page and find "Does the NTTA TollTag work on other toll roads?" If you do this you will find the quote that you are disputing.  

The federal government mandated that all toll systems have full interoperability by October, 2016. Obviously that's running just a little behind schedule... ;)

https://www.wired.com/story/national-tolling-system/

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived