Transmission issue, Ugh,

PaHunter

So when I start the truck I get a low air transmission system with a check light. I wait let everything air up, light goes out, off we go usually no problem. 

Today after work, followed the same thing, put it in drive, drove about 1500 ft to traffic light, stopped and check light came back on. Pulled thru traffic light and Stop triangle lit up and message Transmission System Failure appeared. I pulled over, let the truck idle and air pressure build again, although it was about 98/100psi in the front tank, about 103 psi rear tank.

I shut the truck off waited a few minutes, and restarted the truck. Transmission was fine all the way home, with no further messages or occurrences.

Any ideas, thoughts ?

2013 Volvo D13 engine with basic I shift, right about 650000 miles.

Chris

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

The pressure levels you list are low and should be higher when your air tanks are full.  If that is all the pressure you are building, then you either have a leak somewhere that equalizes the tanks out at those pressures or your air governor is dying and only building those low pressures.  With those low pressures, it won't take much air bleed off (couple of brake applications or transmission shifts) to drop the system pressure enough to give you a low air pressure warning.  The below information is direct from an air brake check list pre-trip inspection.

-The low air pressure warning signal must come on when pressure drops between 55 and 75 psi.  
-The tractor protection valve and/or parking brake valve should close (pop out) when air pressure falls below 20 to 45 psi (set by manufacturer)
-When the engine is at operating rpm’s the pressure should build from 85 to 100 psi within 45 seconds in dual air systems
-Air compressor governor cut in pressure should occur no lower than 85 psi for a bus and 100 psi for a truck
-Your air system pressure should build to 120 PSI before the governor cuts out

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Did it happen to be a cool/cooler day,  I had more issues with the governor on days that were cold and dry.

Took quite a while to build enough pressure to start out back on the road one morning.  I replaced the Governor and noticed that the tanks now hold 120 something, where before they hovered right around 100 all the time.

I keep a new replacement in the truck per the suggestions from this forum.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Denver, the only thing that I have ever seen added was antifreeze in VERY cold weather. Oil in an air system is not a good thing as it will get stiff in cold weather and even in hot weather, it will thicken and cause things to stick. If you have an issue in your air system, take it apart and fix the problem. This is one area where WD40 and Duct tape doesn't work. :)

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Denver, you're probably focused on using tool oil for the tools that can attach to our systems.  Never put oil in the system, but you can and should put it into the small tools that we might use..Stapler, small nail gun, air ratchet....... You can put 4 to 5 drops right where the tool connects to the air hose, but never in the system.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Archived