Forum member sighting.

lockmup68

Saw an HDT with smart pulling into the Flying J in La Grande, OR. I was heading to NAPA to get brake lines for the trailer fix. Whipped in to introduce myself and say hello. My mind just went blank, but I think it was LarryM? White Volvo, yellow smart and nice Mountain Aire. Nice folks and great to meet them. Safe travels. 

ZRuBodJl.jpg

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Yup, that was us. Glad you came over to say hi, good to meet you too. 

That stop set a new record for us, 267 gallons at 3.449! Yup, that's $920!

And yes, I had squeezed it down to 32 gallons left in the tanks! Figured I had about 40 left, need to fine tune my calcs abit more. My computer is a bit more than 10% optimistic.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Dennis we try to not go below 1/2 tank. It is just to painful to see numbers over $400.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:01 PM, Dennis M said:

Yup, that was us. Glad you came over to say hi, good to meet you too. 

That stop set a new record for us, 267 gallons at 3.449! Yup, that's $920!

And yes, I had squeezed it down to 32 gallons left in the tanks! Figured I had about 40 left, need to fine tune my calcs abit more. My computer is a bit more than 10% optimistic.

I did the same thing two days later, but only 198 gallons. Last filled up in MO where it was $2.72 a gal. Lucked out and got fuel from the farm before pulling out of La Grande, bulk delivery is nice. $2.80 vs. $3.45 for on road. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

32 gallons is getting close to sucking air. Ask me how I know ;). The fuel pickup isn't at the bottom of the tank, to avoid sucking dirt or water up.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

If the engine surges after a panic stop, yer cutting it close.....................  Only did that once.

Pops beat it into my head that it doesn't cost any more to run with half a tank than with an empty tank.  If something really bad happens, you at least have fuel to get to safety, or a hospital.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Agree with all, I usually try to top off between a half and a third of a tank. In fact I just topped off again at the Pilot in  Elm Creek, NE. 150 gallons since the fill in OR and a calculated 9.5 MPG with the smart on board and the trailer in tow! Think we had a tailwind the last couple of days! Only $3.15 in Nebraska vs. $3.45 in Oregon. 

Headed for Sycamore, IL for a few weeks then to Denver on the way back to Tucson. Fill up today will cover the roughly 1,200 miles to Illinois and back, and we will probably top up here again before dropping south to Denver.

Only ran so low in Oregon because we had been away from highways for a while. I had added 50 gallons at a Chevron a week earlier, just to get us out to the Flying J on I-84.

Hit nine state parks in Oregon during June and July. I'm going to post on them, as in getting in and out with a HDT, when I get back to civilization with real WiFi! Only one park where I flat could not put the trailer in the site.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Archived