2001 Truck

lappir

So, pick up my home from the factory after it's recent upgrade. All seems well in the pre-trip evaluation, except it takes longer for the truck to start than normal. Figure it's because it has been hooked up to the trailer for the past two weeks. (at least). Nope, didn't know it before starting out, but I had a major fuel leak. Found it 50 miles later when I stopped at a rest area to reprogram my gps. Sitting there for a bit with the truck running and noticed a diesel smell. Got out and found a pool of fuel under my truck. Found the source and did a temporary repair and returned to the road. Had a major cloud of white smoke for the first 20 miles, but no additional leak. Truck now at a reputable shop to repair. Hoping for good news this weekend. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Hey Rod,

We just had a similar thing happen. Ours was a fuel line on the lower drivers side of the engine and the total repair cost (parts and labor) was about $500.  They simply replaced the failed fuel line. It took an extra couple of days because they sent the wrong part (fuel line) on the first order.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Got the truck to my favorite mechanics shop on the 4th. He happened to be there so I left the keys with him. The line was to the passenger side tank near where the weed burner exhaust was run shortly after I purchased the truck. From the look, something hot melted into the line. I also found some extra lines that I am having removed. They were from the Pony Pack that came with the truck. I had asked another shop to remove them when I had the box mounted, but apparently they didn't. Will head to the shop in the morning to see if there was any progress in getting it repaired.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Just a little tidbit to keep somewhere in your craw:  White Teflon pipe thread sealing tape works well to temporarily stop a low-pressure fuel line leak or fuel fitting leak.  Just wrap multiple layers in the affected area.  Unlike other tapes, it has NO adhesive to dissolve and is self-fusing.  It is not damaged by gas or diesel fuel.   Tightly wrapping some aluminum foil over the Teflon tape keeps it from unraveling.

Writing the above made me remember rubbing a bar of Ivory soap over pinhole leaks in a rusted '62 VW bus gas tank.  It worked - it would stop the leak (for a day or two anyway).

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

lappir     I had a line go bad at the fitting on the bottom of the pass side tank. Found it after I had just filled up. Got a new hose made and then it took 2 of us to change the hose. I was like the boy with the finger in the dike. Didn't loose a pint of fuel. I don't think I could have done it by myself. So hope you have good luck.   Pat

The Old Sailor

Randy;

You do understand that  Ivory soap and jet fuel when mixed well make a dandy substitute for napalm, right? Diesel works the same way, it just isn't as fast...hahahahahaha

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

18 hours ago, JPL said:

lappir     I had a line go bad at the fitting on the bottom of the pass side tank. Found it after I had just filled up. Got a new hose made and then it took 2 of us to change the hose. I was like the boy with the finger in the dike. Didn't loose a pint of fuel. I don't think I could have done it by myself. So hope you have good luck.   Pat

The Old Sailor

I did lose some of the precious fuel, but most of that was before I knew it was me causing the smell. The rest sort of vaporized after I took off from the repair. Got word from my mechanic that my temporary fix worked until they got the permanent fix done. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

5 hours ago, adept99 said:

Randy;

You do understand that  Ivory soap and jet fuel when mixed well make a dandy substitute for napalm, right? Diesel works the same way, it just isn't as fast...hahahahahaha

Add a cut up styrofoam container to the mix to make it really stick.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

5 hours ago, adept99 said:

Randy;

Yea, I do remember something like that now.  But, I was totally serious about the Ivory soap trick.  It does work, the soap will fill a small hole that gas will not readily dissolve and stop a leak (as long as you don't drive in the rain). Chewing gum, putty and a propane torch with acid core solder don't work quite as well. ☠️

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

12 hours ago, RandyA said:

Yea, I do remember something like that now.  But, I was totally serious about the Ivory soap trick.  It does work, the soap will fill a small hole that gas will not readily dissolve and stop a leak (as long as you don't drive in the rain). Chewing gum, putty and a propane torch with acid core solder don't work quite as well. ☠️

Ivory or Sunlight soap to stop the leak and then sheet metal screws and gaskets fashioned from bicycle tubes and liberal amounts of Seal-all for a permanent repair.  

Moving the gas tank from under the trunk on the 60’s cars to inside the trunk greatly reduced the incidence of wounds to the tank on the gravel roads of the day. 

These materials were stored near a supply of coat hangers for gas welding busted exhaust systems, which also took the punishment. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived