Counting my blessings: Hook, line, and big HP.

lockmup68

Beautiful drive through Glenwood Canyon, CO, and extended viewing time on the side of the road, at least the view was nice. Hooked up to the KW, we were ~120' long and about 95,000 lbs. The KW has a little bit more HP than my old Binder. He hit 85 going uphill and I said, 'hey, that's my house back there, can you back it down please, we ain't in any hurry in this canyon, and I really don't want my house down in the river."

The two fusible links from the starter to 1) alternator and 2) the fuse panel blew out (as designed) and I lost ALL power coming down the canyon, but going up a slight incline. This road is lots of two-sided guardrails, so I was lucky to get to the on-ramp side and over at least one lane from the big traffic. Samed in the International dealer parking lot hoping they get it done today as they are not open on weekends and I really don't want to camp here for three more days. :) We unloaded the car and the girls all took off for UT and are crashing with family til I get there. 

I always look for the good and blessings in all situations, so here are the blessings to remind myself it can always be worse:

1. It was a nice, cool day to camp out in the rig for six hours all afternoon.

2. we had food and water and bathroom facilities

3. the inverter and batteries lasted most of the day and keep the refrigerator cold since we just put $600 worth of food in it the day before.

4. We had cell service to call for help.

5. We were able to get off the main two lanes of the interstate and over onto the shoulder of the on-ramp, so as to be relatively safe.

6. Once at the repair shop at 10 pm, I was able to plug into a 110 source and I had enough extension cords to charge the batteries, keep the refrigerator cold, and run fans and lights in the trailer. It was a nice 51 degrees overnight.

7. I had filled the fresh water tank before we left Denver. 

Now it is 89 and getting warm in the trailer, I'm thinking real hard of blessings of 89 degrees and no AC. :0

uwma93Cl.jpg

VN7X4Ocl.jpg

ePC1NmMl.jpg

n1faTGfl.jpg

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

I like your outlook on life!  Over the years we’ve found ourselves in a few of those predicaments. Those memories are priceless, most often because of the people that helped us get back on our feet. 

Good luck with your repairs and continuing journeys. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

1 hour ago, Tommy3guns said:

Hey Shannon I'm here now also. Just joined last night. 

Hope it gets running again. If you need anything call me.

Tommy Pizzo 

Thank you sir. Now that the wires are fixed, we have to trace from starter to alt and alt to fuse box. I’m suggesting just pulling new wires for each and see if we eliminate the prob. If not, then pull every fuse and replace one by one. They are closed on weekend and I would do it myself, but not sure how to check wires getting hot underneath while doing fuses one by one in the cab?

6 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

Thank you sir. Now that the wires are fixed, we have to trace from starter to alt and alt to fuse box. I’m suggesting just pulling new wires for each and see if we eliminate the prob. If not, then pull every fuse and replace one by one. They are closed on weekend and I would do it myself, but not sure how to check wires getting hot underneath while doing fuses one by one in the cab?

You would need a multi meter set for resistance, the you can teat the wire for continuity with ground. Keep in mind that some wires conect to ground tjrough tjete aplication. Ligjtbolb or moter etc. If that is the case you will have to isolate the wire and retest.i prefer analog meters for this. A test light can also be used, clip the lead to a known power sorce and test your wire. If getting ground through a bolb or moter the ligjt should glow dimer than with a grounded wire. A meter should indicate lower as well. If you are just sitting it will give you something to do. I keep a cheep meter in the truck all the time. Good luck.

• 1 month later...
As a follow up to our experience above. After I got to UT, made my plane, etc. When we left UT, we made it to Dillon, MT just fine, spent the night, woke up and pulled 50 yards out of the campground, and then boom, the truck is dead again. I actually started laughing at this point. I could have been just super mad, but for some reason, I wasn't. We quickly said a prayer asking for safety and help to get out of the middle of the road. 

Heavenly Father blessed us almost immediately. A nice Sherriff deputy just "happened" to be driving by and came over to direct traffic and make sure we were safe and called the only big rig tow truck for 60 miles. The tow truck driver showed up very quickly, the local KOA guy said they were full, but would make a spot for us to put the trailer and plug in to keep the refrigerator cold, and he even drove his own truck over to pull our trailer to the campground while the truck was headed to the shop. The tow truck driver had talked to the KOA guy and coordinated before they both got to me. The tow truck driver was also the only truck mechanic in town and he opened his shop on a Saturday to get us back on the road (finally fixing the original problem that the other shop didn't actually find or fix). He charged me normal rates and wouldn't let me pay him for a couple of things he noticed and fixed so we wouldn't have trouble down the road. 

Also, the KOA in Dillon, MT, would not let me pay them for towing our 5th wheel to their place or for the use of their electric/campsite for the day. Mr. Bob gave me a hug and said, have a safe trip and come back and see us sometime when you can enjoy our campground, there is no charge. He wouldn't even let me buy him dinner

We were back on the road by 3 pm, we made the border crossing at 9:57 pm (they close at 10 pm) and pulled into our campsite at 11:30 pm. Many blessings this day. 

the culprit the entire time.
rL4agEbl.jpg

Wire rubbed through a nub on the thermostat housing. When they replaced the alternator, they moved the harness around. After 1500 miles, it worked its way back to where it was comfortable, on top of the nub that rubbed through the insulation. 

A4rIcJ5l.jpg

More blessings! The bad things can happen at a good time and place and you got both at the same time. Glad everything is as it should be. be safe and keep the faith!    Pat

The Old Sailor

we also relocated the harness behind the thermostat housing where it should have been in the first place, as well as more wire loom and a big rubber hose split in two to prevent rubbing on the wire in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived