Couldn't believe this

Vegas Teacher

My eyes might have played tricks on me but..............

The other night I was driving home on the 215 beltway in the Northern part of Las Vegas (for all of you from Vegas I had not crossed over Decatur or east of Decatur yet) and in front of me I see what appears to be a semi pulling a travel trailer, but there seems to be some gap. So I speed up, maybe a little to fast but I speed up and get closer to it. between the Semi is an F - 250 flat tow and then the trailer hooked up bumper tow to the F250 so just for the record it went Semi, F250 flat tow to bumper pull trailer. I wanted to take a picture but did not get to. I also did not know a F - 250 could be flat towed, I have a Tundra and would actually love to be able to do this but I can't with mine. However I am thinking this has to be insane and insanely dangerous and just asking for a truck inspection.

I am hoping Big5er and Dolly Trolley will chime in on this one.

No I am not crying wolf, no I was not having a dream, no I was not on some really strong medication for allergies or anything else that was chemically related. I was kind of in Awe in a way. I wish I could flat tow my Tundra, but all websites say no. If somebody out there knows how to set up a 2008 4 wheel drive Automatic Toyota Tundra to flat tow, let me know.

Later,

Cory O

Corey,

My Ram 2500 can be flat towed.  Nob on dash that locks in 4wd can also totally unlock tranny. Procedure is in owner’s manual.   Sorry doesn’t help with your Tundra.   

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Probably have to put an electric trany fluid pump to keep trany fluid moving while engine is turned off. This is wired into your trailer plug so when you turn on your tow vehicles ignition it comes on automatically  This an aftermarket application and most likely void your vehicle warranty.

I just set up an E450 to flat tow.....https://www.facebook.com/116318791762437/photos/pcb.1674437905950510/1674437699283864/?type=3&theater

.What's the difference between that double tow and two trailers? The only issue I could see is most peeps don't bother to get a brake setup on 4 downs.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Yawn. If that's the strangest thing you see in Vegas, in the dark of night, you haven't been paying attention. All the big 3 make a 4x4 3/4 ton that can be flat towed, and 2 wheel drives can flat tow with additional work. The double tow is on the unusual side, but it's further proof that some people have higher tolerance than I do.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Not 100% sure, but I believe if you disconnect the drivelines on the Tundra, you could flat tow it since the only thing turning is the axles. They should oil the same as if being driven.

I know on my mini trucks, I can't flat tow because the transfer case doesn't move oil in neutral. But if DL are disco'd, no issues.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

I like how the discussion defaults to flat towability vs the configuration... but VT did ask...

over by Salton City CA I met a 2 axle class A flat towing 3 Jeeps.  I rode about 2 more mile and came across people administering smelling salts to 2 members of the rv.net Weight Police who had swooned at the sight of that rig ...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived