Can I get it out with this HDT?

Roger & Margaret

Hi everyone,

This is going to be tight, or not possible?  I sure can use some opinions on this.  BTW, I have a plan B if this doesn't work (heavy duty trailer caddy).

First the HDT: VNL 780 or 860, singled mid at approximately 236".  Estimated length front bumper to pin, 28'7".

We store our 5th wheel in our backyard.  The 5th, from pin to back latter (on passenger side) is 41'6".

We can pull the 5th out and park it in the driveway several days before we leave.  So, assume there will not be any cars parked across the street.

Question, please look at the picture with measurements below.  Can the above HDT maneuver our 5th wheel out of our storage area?

As always, your input is appreciated.
5aa47c4c80c5e_Sidegateaccesswithmeasurments-cropped.jpg.ba1c85db54bc293d6a06f6bee229a658.jpg

Roger and my wonderful wife Margaret
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2017 Luxe 39fb 5th Wheel
Pioneer Camping Club
Wagon Masters

5 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

Should not be a problem at all.

I agree, Backing it in might require a second try though.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks, that's what I was hoping.

I figured that with a set 70' long, and the rear of the trailer needing to clear the gate before I can make that turn it would be tight.  However, the HDT has a much better steering cut then my Ram, and with the pin placement behind the axle, the rear of the trailer will initially swing slightly to the Left as I begin to make my turn.

FYI, I currently get the trailer in and out with my Ram even with cars parking in the street as they are in this picture.

2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2017 Luxe 39fb 5th Wheel
Pioneer Camping Club
Wagon Masters

In my humble opinion, if a Ram will do it, a HDT will do it easier, as long as the hitch is set rear of the center of the axle, if you can't get your 5er out of this you can't get it into a RV park. 
After driving one you then will only appreciate the way the cut and hitch placement helps to turn the trailer.

Roger 

GCTaaehl.jpg

The odd time I've been in an uncomfortably tite position or have been boxed in by others, I've had to move the truck and trailer out as much as possible, drop the trailer and reposition the truck for another pull.

Depending on where the pivot point is for the trailer over the wheels, you need to be careful of where the rear of the trailer swings.  The pivot point of my 40 triple axe is 14 ft from the rear of the trailer so the back can swing out quite a bit.

Perhaps leave a note on the cars that park there asking for their co-operation or sneak some traffic cones there for the day if you can get away with it.

Roger

4 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

In my humble opinion, if a Ram will do it, a HDT will do it easier, as long as the hitch is set rear of the center of the axle

The Ram's wheel base is about 11' to 12' shorter, but I figured the improved Volvo steering cut, and yes the hitch will be set rear of the axle, should make up for the longer wheel base.

1 hour ago, rdickinson said:

The odd time I've been in an uncomfortably tite position or have been boxed in by others, I've had to move the truck and trailer out as much as possible, drop the trailer and reposition the truck for another pull.

Hard to do here, it's a public street, but I would not have a problem going over the sidewalk across the street if I had to.

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

That drive way is no problem pulling out or backing in.  The wheel cut is so much better with the HDT that until you try it, its hard to appreciate.

True, I won't know for sure until I try it, but if possible I try to be reasonably sure it will work before I try it.

Thanks all

Roger

2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2017 Luxe 39fb 5th Wheel
Pioneer Camping Club
Wagon Masters

If the cars are not there it is a piece of cake....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

43 minutes ago, jkoenig24 said:

Low gear, ignore any crunching noises ^_^

What's that noise?... Never mind :lol: 

38 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

If the cars are not there it is a piece of cake....

That's what I'm thinking too. thanks

2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2017 Luxe 39fb 5th Wheel
Pioneer Camping Club
Wagon Masters

Keep in mind that at a loading dock, you have semi trailers with maybe five feet between them and a lot of them will have obstacles where you can not pull straight out.

Granted a lot of rv’s have more rear overhang.

The point is, as said prior, if a pickup will do it, an hdt is usually even better with the wheel cut.

Keep in mind that there is always the old trucker trick of pulling out straight to within a foot of your farthest obstacle before starting your turn.  Then jockying back and forth about six inches to a foot as you swing the front of the truck left or right, keeping it within a foot of the far obstacle line, such as a building, curb or line of cars.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Draw everything out to scale. Heavy paper - sheet metal etc. Put hitch pin where it goes and have it swivel there. Now just pretend you got a toy truck and trailer. I had to do this when I built a garage for my HTD. I live back in woods with a narrow drive and had to figure if I could make the turn. Built the garage before I brought the truck home.

On March 10, 2018 at 11:24 PM, Roger & Margaret said:

Hi everyone,

This is going to be tight, or not possible?  I sure can use some opinions on this.  BTW, I have a plan B if this doesn't work (heavy duty trailer caddy).

First the HDT: VNL 780 or 860, singled mid at approximately 236".  Estimated length front bumper to pin, 28'7".

We store our 5th wheel in our backyard.  The 5th, from pin to back latter (on passenger side) is 41'6".

We can pull the 5th out and park it in the driveway several days before we leave.  So, assume there will not be any cars parked across the street.

Question, please look at the picture with measurements below.  Can the above HDT maneuver our 5th wheel out of our storage area?

As always, your input is appreciated.
5aa47c4c80c5e_Sidegateaccesswithmeasurments-cropped.jpg.ba1c85db54bc293d6a06f6bee229a658.jpg

R & M,

If the cars the cars across the street are gone looks like a walk in the park......sorta...

So.........way too many moons ago Grumps had a old truck shop with a narrow entryway somewhat like your picture BUT Grumps had a advantage since he owned the road but it looked just like a city owned street. 

Pone night Grumps arrived with a long load of logs and a guy with a fairly nice old WWII Dodge command rig parked in the NO PARKING zone that Grumps had across the road from the shop entrance..........it was tight but Grumps got the long load into the shop yard........

Once Grumps parked he went into the shop a wrote a note telling the guy to NOT park in the no parking zone........

Next evening Grumps pulled up with another load of logs and there was the old Dodge parked in the middle of the NO PARKING ZONE with Grumps note on the windshield and the guy wrote ........."hey old phart, learn to drive because I am going to park here whenever I want........

Grumps smiled.........grabbed the note and wrote with a huge marker crayon......" Hey little Phart , I decided to take your advice and took your Dodge for one of my driving lessons, just track the tire skid marks and you find your rig at the end of the skid marks........oh ya I own the land where you parked in my way and i let many folks park on my land but you WILL NOT park on my land ever again.........and oh by the way most of the time I am a nice guy but when people screw with my I earn my nick-name Grumps...........

So then Grumps threw a chain over the tow hook on the Dodge and then the other end of the chain in the log trailer stinger and dragged the Dodge several blocks to a vacant lot and dropped it off.........

Dodge never bothered Grumps ever again

Drive on...........( Follow the............skid marks)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived