Gas tank for generator

jenandjon

I know some of you have diesel generators plumbed right into the trucks fuel tanks. But I bought an Onan gas generator out of a bus. I am going to build a cabinet to put it in. No problem there. What I was wondering is what to use for a gas tank. At first I was just going to get another diesel tank and mount it on the frame. Like a 50 gallon or 75.  Problem is you cant touch a used semi tank for under $400 then the mounting brackets are another couple hundred. Everyone is telling me just to use a 10 gallon boat tank. That is all fine and dandy until I'm parked some where for a few days and have to carry gas cans.

I know this is a very creative bunch. I cant be the only one around with a gas generator.

I attached a picture of an auxiliary fuel tank off a tractor that is coming up on auction. Hold 80 gallons.  It bolts down solid and is made to withstand a major blow in an accident. I have seen some of these that look they have been thrown off a cliff and never leaked. If I can get it I will mount it in the center of the flat bed. That way I can take advantage of the built in lights.

johndeere80gallonfrontfueltank-4.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

I know some of you have diesel generators plumbed right into the trucks fuel tanks. But I bought an Onan gas generator out of a bus. I am going to build a cabinet to put it in. No problem there. What I was wondering is what to use for a gas tank. At first I was just going to get another diesel tank and mount it on the frame. Like a 50 gallon or 75.  Problem is you cant touch a used semi tank for under $400 then the mounting brackets are another couple hundred. Everyone is telling me just to use a 10 gallon boat tank. That is all fine and dandy until I'm parked some where for a few days and have to carry gas cans.

I know this is a very creative bunch. I cant be the only one around with a gas generator.

I attached a picture of an auxiliary fuel tank off a tractor that is coming up on auction. Hold 80 gallons.  It bolts down solid and is made to withstand a major blow in an accident. I have seen some of these that look they have been thrown off a cliff and never leaked. If I can get it I will mount it in the center of the flat bed. That way I can take advantage of the built in lights.

johndeere80gallonfrontfueltank-4.jpg

J&J,

Way Kool tank.....as they say...."Nothing runs like a Deere".....so......if you think about it,  almost always when you start a genny you would really like to have it run so hitching your gennny to a high quality tank is a good start at the fuel side of the fire triangle....

I really like the BIG lights in the tank.....so....just be on the safe side you might consider aiming the lights in the direction of the genny so the you could use the lights to give you a better view while working on the geeny when it won't run......well.....maybe not really important since most of the time when the genny won't run my batteries are dead as well......

Ya know "J" this RV thing is a bit like farming......it is real easy......till-it-ain't-easy......

Drive on........(nice tanks are.....nice)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

If I read correctly, he's using diesel.  Fill it with off road and run. Splash a little biocide in occasionally.

I would paint it to match the truck though.

Could you find an old steel fuel tank from a truck in a junk yard?  Or even an aluminum one that's dented?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Rick, he has a gas generator. That is why he is looking for a tank rather than tying into the trucks tanks.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Those of us in the trucking business who decide to use a gasoline generator frequently use some kind of marine fuel tank, properly mounted and vented. It can been removable so you can walk across the parking lot and get it filled if need be. And has been mentioned gasoline doesn't have the same shelf life as diesel, like Subway says Fresh is Good.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

We do some boondocking a couple times a year. 3-4 days at a time. That's why I'm looking for a bigger tank. Its a good ways to the next town and I don't want to carry a bunch of cans. I'm not worried about the gas going bad. I can drain it at the end of the year. I wont be putting ethanol in it either.

Most gas has ethinal  already in it. The ethinal absorbs moister from the air, a over size metal tank also can condense if it is not full. I cerytanly agree with you on not wanting to carry cans out to be filled. Perhaps a rack system for the boat tanks, that way it would be easy to use the gas up when you return from your trip. Products like startron will help but are not a cure. I buy nonethinal gas for chainsaws and 4 wheelers. I also try too run them out of gas befor storage. Good luck 

8 hours ago, Big5er said:

Rick, he has a gas generator. That is why he is looking for a tank rather than tying into the trucks tanks.

Duh.  I had just parked after a long day and wasn't reading very carefully.  My bad.

Our Onan gas genny burns about 6-7 gal/day with light loads.  I believe that purdy green tank pictured above holds about 30 gal.  It might do just fine for them.  It also has a nice drain plug in the bottom, which would be handy at the end of the season, or when you need to get the campfire going.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

It also has a nice drain plug in the bottom, which would be handy at the end of the season, or when you need to get the campfire going.

LMAO...I know people that would put a valve and a hose just for that purpose. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I purchased a gas Onan last year for my truck as well. I haven't had a chance to mount it yet, so not sure how well it will work. Mine didn't have a fuel tank either. I found a used junk generator (like one from Harbor Freight), and cut the fuel tank off it. Plan on mounting it on the top of the flatbed deck, and mount the genset under.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

16 hours ago, maveric said:

I purchased a gas Onan last year for my truck as well. I haven't had a chance to mount it yet, so not sure how well it will work. Mine didn't have a fuel tank either. I found a used junk generator (like one from Harbor Freight), and cut the fuel tank off it. Plan on mounting it on the top of the flatbed deck, and mount the genset under.

I fond a used 24x24x48 tool box that I am mounting the generator in. Have to put the holes in it for the air flow and exhaust then a vent in the other side. When I get to it I will share how it did it and how it worked. I sure I will have to beef up the floor in the tool box. I don't have it yet. We buy lots of used and new parts from here.

https://www.vanderhaags.com/index.php

Archived