Thank You, Big5er

rickeieio

This morning, we were coming into Marfa, TX.  The speed limit drops quickly, 75, 65, 55, 40, in a very short distance.  I was easing on the brakes, and was at 45 when I got to the 40 mph sign. As luck would have it, a state trooper was coming at me, and came back for me. He asked me to step to the roadside and bring my license and insurance card.  I handed him the license and my little binder with all my documentation, as Phil suggests.  He was impressed, and said so.

Of course, that didn't prevent him from giving me a warning for 10% over the limit! and an expired license.  He did ask a lot of questions about why we had so much truck, and noticed the air lines for the BluDot.

So, folks, get that binder in order.  It might just get you a warning slip, instead of a fine.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

When I was a young man I had a trooper, on the side of the road, who explained that if he didn't document his contacts his supervisor would think he wasn't working and then he asked if I would "mind" if he wrote me a warning. At that point I offered him my passenger's license also and told him to feel free to write her some warnings too, if it would help. 

From a driver's perspective, warnings are always good :)

Glad the book helped, Rick.   Like I say, if you "expect" to be stopped, because you are different, then when it finally happens you will be better prepared.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Did you forget the license expiration. I do not think I ever forget them. Just did not get to it. 

Now you know the next smokie may not let it slide.

Many years ago well drilling rigs in Pa.  only needed implement of husbandry license plates. Not all police officers understood that at that time. What is implement of husbandry anyway.

then if you had a piece of construction equipment that was the only thing on the frame and could not haul other cargo. No plate neaded. Like a tow behind air compressor .

But finally put trailer plates on just for no more time explaining no plate.

Safe Travels,.  Vern

I knew my license was up for renewal, and intended to get it done before we left home.  Other projects got in the way, and a winter storm was coming.  We were two days into the trip, in Louisiana, when I remembered.  Tried to renew online, but Indiana only allows that once.

I've only been pulled over a half dozen times in my 48 years of driving, so my odds are good.;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Does anyone have a sample manual like the one above for Montana?
I am looking to make one and hoping someone has one that's done and I could copy mine from.

Thanks

Roger

Ditto for North Carolina.... I've been muddling thru the statutes and trying to get ideas for presentation purposes.  Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated. thanks

Ben

You probably could find much of what you want in the Resource Guide.  State Listing of Drivers Licenses http://www.hhrvresource.com/node/44

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

13 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Does anyone have a sample manual like the one above for Montana?
I am looking to make one and hoping someone has one that's done and I could copy mine from.

Thanks

Roger

Hi Roger,

I was hoping that the group coming together at the '18 ECR could talk about this. I have a folder for Ohio. I started with the resource guide at first. I got some of my info from the state of Ohio also. The bad thing is that I don't remember how I got my info from Ohio. I have my folder in the truck.I hope it's correct.That is the reason I would like to talk about it.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I can show my folder also. Note the content will vary based on state of registration. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

I can show my folder also. Note the content will vary based on state of registration. 

Hi Everyone,

It will be interesting to is how the different folders compare to each other.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

• 2 weeks later...

This is very good advise. I also put a binder together. Just a 3 ring binder with the clear sleeves. Each page has truck registration, trailer registration, Insurance cards and one page is a list of of requirements for the state of Nebraska to be considered a Motor Home.  Nothing special but all neat and organized. Kept in the door pocket.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I used a binder that had a clear sleeve as the front cover.  Printed a brief description and VIN of truck/fiver. so it's obvious to the officer what's inside.  One page is registrations, one is insurance cards, and one is the state statutes that apply to us.

Maybe I should start a section in the back to file warning citations.......:ph34r:

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

16 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Maybe I should start a section in the back to file warning citations.......:ph34r:

I have never told anyone what NOT to include in THEIR book. You may be the exception, Rick. :P

2014 smart Fortwo

Don't forget dates and locations, Jim.