Modifying a Plumbing System

While using Pex tubing to change some plumbing, what style crimp rings are preferred?   

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007AGM9RO/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1LEIKT9CYCTBS&colid=2H1RCUR7HWM8I&psc=0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07594V61B/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2RIDGSSTM6B4D&colid=2H1RCUR7HWM8I&psc=0

Any suggestions for preference?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

When I've modified plumbing in my MH I've use Sharkbite (or equivalent) fittings.  Sure they're expensive, but usually I don't need more than a couple for any specific job.  And I like the ability to easily take them apart and redo, if necessary.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

53 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

I agree as plumbing is the chore that I dislike most. 

I agree! Even when we had a S&B I hated plumbing!

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Shark bite connectors are nice, but expensive if you need to buy more than 1 or 2.  I'm planning a revamp to put our filters and softener in the basement.  Currently, they sit outside in a milk crate and with the weather being so unpredictable it would be nice to just plug in the heated hose and not worry about splitting a filter or the softener resin tank.  Splitting a filter housing, I can easily absorb, crack the softener and those bruises aren't gonna heal to fast...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Use the crimp rings not the SS clamps.

I changed our trailer over to Upunor.  I had all the stuff from when I plumbed our house.

Been wondering what to do with the PEX fittings I took out of the trailer.  If you like I can sent you the fittings if you give me an address to send them to.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Use the crimp rings, not the copper bands. You only need 1 crimped, not a crimped and a bunch of inserts. You also don’t have to gauge the crimp. The crimpers are $56 at Lowe’s. I just bought a set for my daughter. Use brass fittings, not plastic. After crimping, the fitting may rotate in the tubing, this is ok. Buy the orange tubing cutter, mush better that a knife.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

31 minutes ago, Ronbo said:

Use the crimp rings, not the copper bands. You only need 1 crimped, not a crimped and a bunch of inserts. You also don’t have to gauge the crimp. The crimpers are $56 at Lowe’s. I just bought a set for my daughter. Use brass fittings, not plastic. After crimping, the fitting may rotate in the tubing, this is ok. Buy the orange tubing cutter, mush better that a knife.

Not having to gauge the crimp in confined areas is definitely a plus.  I already have a nice cutter that I kept from the boat building days.  The only change is that we used the Pex-Tite fittings.  Easier to replace or alter a system in the future.  But my supply of fittings has run out.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

51 minutes ago, Ronbo said:

The crimpers are $56 at Lowe’s.

People are complaining that SharkBite connectors are expensive and yet it makes sense to buy a crimper that costs >$50.  That would pay for ~8-10 SharkBites which is roughly what I've used in 8 years of full-timing.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Unless Lowes has changed their crimper I wouldn't buy another one. I bought one that failed shortly after purchase. It was replaced under warranty, but the replacement isn't any better. I suspect that it only has a couple more crimps left in it. I think when it dies I'll just go with SharkBite and pay whatever the job costs.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

On 1/19/2018 at 12:04 PM, ALLOY said:

Use the crimp rings not the SS clamps.

I changed our trailer over to Upunor.  I had all the stuff from when I plumbed our house.

Been wondering what to do with the PEX fittings I took out of the trailer.  If you like I can sent you the fittings if you give me an address to send them to.

I agree with "use the crimp rings"  I don't know what is meant by gauging. You adjust the crimper once and go crimping. Having been around plumbng a long time, I see way more copper crimp rings than stainless steel. Seems like the quicky guys use SS.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Your post was enough for me to sign up instead of just lurking. Hate the crimp rings, love the pinch clamps.

Funny story. Our house had an unfinished basement and all the copper supply routed from the main, along the basement ceiling, then up through the subfloor to the various fixtures. Was doing a total remodel of the main floor living area at the time. Replacing all the fixtures and bath tub I wasn't looking forward to all the copper joint cutting and sweating new connections. Since the copper supply runs in the basement were going to be moved for a future basement finishing project I decided to cut out all the copper lines and use PEX for the first time. Planned all my supply routes, bought the tubing and crimp rings. Borrowed a friends crimper and gauge and went to work. Worked all day and finished up. Went down stairs and turned on the main. I swear almost every joint was leaking. It looked like a drivethru car wash! The gauge showed my joints had been good. Cut it all apart and replaced the crimps with the pinch clamps. Not one single drip.

Good luck with your decision!

Jim, I have used the crimp style on our DRV and they have worked great (and are also what the factory uses on their plumbing). They can be crimped in a confined area and will not come loose. The only drawback is that you will need a cutoff wheel to get them off in the future. I do use metal fittings that can be re-used later.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived