Broken dipstick - next steps?

chooseopen

I was alarmed this morning during my pre-trip inspection that I had low oil.  Upon closer inspection it appears that the tip of my dipstick has broken off.  Now what should I do?  Do I need to worry about the 3 inches of plastic floating on my oil pan?  I happen to have a Volvo dealer about 30 miles in the wrong direction so I could take it in this morning... Advice?

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

Ha.  I didn't think this topic posted. The site was having server issues.  So anyway I ended up driving it after I found other internet posts saying that it won't hurt anything.  I drove for 2 hours today.

My dipstick is a wire cable with a 4-5inch plastic tip that has the FULL / EMPTY indicators.  About 3" of the end of the tip appears to be missing.  The look of the dipstick is one of those things you don't really commit to memory so I was really confused this morning trying to figure out why I was so low on oil.  Looking close at the end though it is clear the end of it is missing.

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

Like Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers always say, don't let the end of your dipstick fall off.

Dad once had this same issue.  He made a new dipstick from a speedometer cable with a drop of solder showing the "add" and "full" marks.  I have no idea where you find a speedometer cable now days.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Like Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers always say, don't let the end of your dipstick fall off.

Dad once had this same issue.  He made a new dipstick from a speedometer cable with a drop of solder showing the "add" and "full" marks.  I have no idea where you find a speedometer cable now days.

I'd check the junk yard . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Buy a $5 dollar shift cable from a bicycle shop.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Archived