Crossfire equalization system

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a part for the Crossfire tire system. I want to add two more sets to my truck. Right now I have two sets on the truck. The truck is still tandem. For the lack of a better word I am going to call this piece a rubber donut. The rubber donut has a hole in the center where the air line for the inner tire goes thru to help support the air line. The donut fits into one of the holes in the rim. On my first two sets there was a rubber donut that was in the box with the rest of the parts. I do not remember if this donut came with the system or not. To many years pasted by to remember. The system sat on a shelf for several years.I never did install the first two sets till this year with the help from Charlie. I have also checked the Crossfire web site and have not found this donut there either. Any thoughts ? Could this donut be from another system ? Or purpose ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al,

Look here.   http://www.shinyrv.com/store/c29/Valve_Stem_Extension_Stabilizers.html.  Please note what wheel you have as the inserts for Alcoa wheels are different than Accuride.  Also be sure to note if the holes are round or oval.  I would not have the Crossfires without the supports.  One forum member had a hose crack probably from vibration with not a good result.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I gave up on Crossfires when after being on the truck for about 4 years, I needed several of the parts due to corrosion and general usage. I contacted them and was told that they do not expect the unit do be in service for more than 5 years after the date code stamped on the unit. To do so in their opinion they would not be safe. I was advised to purchase all new units. I bought a white with red tip valve cap remover for $10 and use my $25 air gauge. Net savings approx $300.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

15 hours ago, beyerjf said:

I gave up on Crossfires when after being on the truck for about 4 years, I needed several of the parts due to corrosion and general usage. I contacted them and was told that they do not expect the unit do be in service for more than 5 years after the date code stamped on the unit. To do so in their opinion they would not be safe. I was advised to purchase all new units. I bought a white with red tip valve cap remover for $10 and use my $25 air gauge. Net savings approx $300.

And a lot less leaks to worry about. In my years working a commercial tire outfit cross fire systems were always a hassle. More times than not they leaked.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

The other item that would seem to be a great idea that doesn't work in the real world are self contained inflation systems, maintaining air pressure in the tires from the air brake system. They work ok when brand new, like the Crossfires, but don't seem to hold up. Worse, in both systems you are relying on the internals to work properly, very difficult to open up either system to confirm they are accurate. 

Same goes for automated lubrication systems. You find out that fitting over there wasn't getting any grease when you have to replace the parts....

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Jeff,

Appreciate the perspective. I put on the Crossfires cause I was having a heck of a time putting on and taking off my tire pressure monitors every year. So far no problems except one cracked hose which looked like manufacturing defect. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Tire Boss Edmonton Alberta builds a central tire inflation system with external components. Used under severe service conditions world wide. The air supply to the wheel ends is external so they don't look coolio... no they don't get tore off first trip...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I sure hope that my supplier will stand behind my Crossfires if they give problems. I have run them for several years and don't even want to think of not having them. I hope that the mileage difference between my rig and Jeff's will help mine to last longer. Crossing my fingers.....                                                                                   Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

1 hour ago, sclord2002 said:

I sure hope that my supplier will stand behind my Crossfires if they give problems. I have run them for several years and don't even want to think of not having them. I hope that the mileage difference between my rig and Jeff's will help mine to last longer. Crossing my fingers.....                                                                                   Charlie

Keeping them away from corrosion stimulants will do a lot. Jeff probably runs year round in all road conditions. I try to avoid the salt and other products they put on the road to combat ice. Have only had mine on for less than a year. Hope they last at least 10. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Perhaps it's somewhat brand specific. I've been using Cat's Eye brand crossovers in my commercial operation for well over five years all around my rig and just ordered some replacement parts to upgrade and repair. No known leaking issues, very pleased with overall performance. They DO recommend replacing the seals every third time. And parts are available. Jay

I agree with Jeff, in general. And I've grown to hate valve extenders in my former "world" of dually pickups and motorhomes. They are always a problem, it seems. And anything that resembles them is going to be prone to have similar issues.

But in my fulltime RV world, running an HDT 5,000-10,000 miles a year the convenience of the Crossfire is hard to beat. And at their cost, if I have to replace them every 5 years, so be it. It just makes my life so much easier...and I'm all for that.  :ph34r:

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

Al,

Look here.   http://www.shinyrv.com/store/c29/Valve_Stem_Extension_Stabilizers.html.  Please note what wheel you have as the inserts for Alcoa wheels are different than Accuride.  Also be sure to note if the holes are round or oval.  I would not have the Crossfires without the supports.  One forum member had a hose crack probably from vibration with not a good result.

Hi Carl,

Thank you for the link. It was a big help. I find the right size rubber donut for the truck with the help of the link. I have sent Crossfire an e-mail the other day asking about the rubber donut and I am still waiting for an answer. A day later I sent Shiny RV an e-mail asking what the correct size that I need for the truck. They sent me an e-mail back with the size that should work for my truck. I hope Crossfire support is not like their e-mail response.

Al

Hi Everyone,

I have an update about Crossfire e-mail support on my concern. You guessed it. They have not answered my question have 2 weeks on waiting. It wasn't a had question to answer. Carl did a great job to help me out. Crossfire support is not good at all. I need to ask myself a question. Do I buy two more Crossfire's with this kind of support ?

What do you think ?
Al

Al,

If the question is whether the "donut" comes as part of the Crossfires, it does not.  You have to buy those separately which I did at the site I provided.  Next time try Ed Donnelly with Ed Donnelly Enterprises for Crossfires help.  I will PM you his phone.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

10 minutes ago, sclord2002 said:

Ditto on Carl's post about Ed Donnelly. He can answer any questions about Crossfires. Tell him Charlie Lord [and Carl] told you to call him.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the help.

Al

Archived