Going from F350 Dually to HDT, question

ToddP

We are looking at going from an F350 Dually to an HDT but I have a question. I see some HDTs with tandem axels and some without. Is it a must that the HDT be "converted" in some way to haul RVs? I guess my newbie question is can I buy an HDT that a company used to haul 18 wheeler trailers and use it to pull our fifthwheel or are there special steps/conversions that need to be done. 

Thanks

Depends where you plan to register it. Some jurisdictions, like ours, require a CDL for 3 axles, but it's a free-for-all with 2.

Welcome to the site.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

It would be very good for you to plan to attend the HDT rally 8-14 of October in Hutchinson Kansas.

You will get all your questions answered and see many different conversions.

http://nationalhdtrally.com/

http://hdtrally.com/

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

There are advantages and disadvantages to both so, RVers do it both ways. As Trey mentioned, the HDT Rallies and the HDT Resource Guide are gold mines of good information about HDTs. Understand the downsides of each. The downsides are what will cause ulcers.

I cover some of the pros/cons of singling on my website.  You might find it helpful. LINK

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Here is a good HDT Q&A article that will start to answer some of your questions, plus it has links to a number of great sites that have not of details:-

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=19BB69C5B1DDDC93!1561&cid=19bb69c5b1dddc93&lor=shortUrl&app=Word

As other mentioned, the National HDT Rally in October is a great potential source to answer lots of questions and see a lot of variation in real HDT applies to RV hauling.

A fellow HDT newbie,

For us, 6 tires is less than 10. Less air bags, brakes, etc. Less money to spend later. Wanted storage, get lots more with singling. Should get better mpg, I can't verify. Never used it tandem. Cost me 2k singling. Had new bags installed on purchase by dealer. Also two axles is way overkill for us. On this though, you put a Jeep or heavier vechile than a Smart, motorcycle and you need both axles. Really depends on your needs

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Todd, welcome to the forum. Like several have said, come to the National HDT Rally. It's a wealth of information. You will see so many ways of doing things. There is no one "right way" to do it. It just depends on what suits your needs. An HDT is not required to attend the rally. We welcome any and everyone to come out and learn if this is the right choice for you. If you have never driven one before, we can even make arrangements for you to get a chance to drive one.

If you have any questions about the HDT Rally, feel free to contact me.

Steve

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

6 tires is less than 10. Less air bags, brakes, etc. Less money to spend later. Wanted storage, get lots more with singling. Should get better mpg,

I was on the fence with this decision.  For several months I was going to keep both axles.  Just in case I decided to put a larger car on the bed.

I changed my mind just before purchase I decided I would have a better chance to recover more of my investment selling an RV with a single axle, IF I later wanted to sell the truck.  Also for the reasons Glenn posted.  License was also a consideration.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

6 hours ago, ToddP said:

We are looking at going from an F350 Dually to an HDT but I have a question. I see some HDTs with tandem axels and some without. Is it a must that the HDT be "converted" in some way to haul RVs? I guess my newbie question is can I buy an HDT that a company used to haul 18 wheeler trailers and use it to pull our fifthwheel or are there special steps/conversions that need to be done. 

Thanks

Others have given good advice on attending the Rally and checking out the guide. Jack's website is a must read in our opinion.

Regarding your last question in your post, the most widely recommended item that needs to be done to use a semi tractor to pull an RV fifth wheel is to add an air ride 5th wheel hitch. Your trailer will thank you!

The other items needed to convert to RV HDT duty depends on how you intend to use it and what the rules are in your state or province for registration. This is where the resource guide comes in handy.

Welcome and have fun!

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived