Pulling doubles in washington state

runaway parents

10 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

Just like the guy who came flying out of the weigh station as we headed east on I 70 from Kansas towards the ECR this year.  Saw him come out of the "office" and jump in the car and took off!  He caught up to me real quick, didn't try to pass me but hung behind for about a mile.  Was probably the bikes on the back of the trailer that that had him end the chase.

Which is why I have "Private RV" on the back bumper of my RV. Makes it pretty clear. Right where they will look at my plate. I've had several cruise up to me and hang there for a minute, then leave.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

2 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Just like the guy who came flying out of the weigh station as we headed east on I 70 from Kansas towards the ECR this year.  Saw him come out of the "office" and jump in the car and took off!  He caught up to me real quick, didn't try to pass me but hung behind for about a mile.  Was probably the bikes on the back of the trailer that that had him end the chase.

Rocky,

Are you sure it wasn't from you waving your hand out the window in Jedi fashion and saying "This is not the truck you seek!"????:ph34r:

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

9 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

If you are commercial a DOT officer can pull you over for inspection without probable cause.....Right, Phil?   But probable cause would come into play when inspecting the inside of the cab.

If it's commercial, Jack is right. Being commercial is all a DOT officer needs for a reason. And that inspection can get you into the can at times. 

And I'm willing to bet it was the registration return on your trailer, more than the "private  RV" sign that kept you from getting stopped Jack. I frequently run the truck and trailer registration before I stop a suspected racer. A Google search of the owners name plus the word "racing" tells me a lot of info even before I stop them. 

A trailer registered to a name with permanent tags, rather than dealer tags, temp tags or business names (LLC) is one clue. If that tag is a year or two old, and matches the name on the truck thats another clue or two, especially on a trailer that is visibly a travel trailer rather than a car hauler or horse trailer.

I've said it before, just because a sign says "private rv" doesn't make it so. Too many racers plaster that on their trailers. A good DOT unit is gonna make his own decision based on more than just that sign. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, VegasFlyer said:

Rocky,

Are you sure it wasn't from you waving your hand out the window in Jedi fashion and saying "This is not the truck you seek!"????:ph34r:

John, I thought about sticking my arm out the window and just waving him around me - but didn't want to tempt him.:o

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

9 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

John, I thought about sticking my arm out the window and just waving him around me - but didn't want to tempt him.:o

Good plan....  After all, discretion is the better part of valor....

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

46 minutes ago, Big5er said:

And I'm willing to bet it was the registration return on your trailer, more than the "private  RV" sign that kept you from getting stopped Jack.

Phil, when you run a tag through the computer and get the registration, can you then plug the owner's name and get a list of the vehicles registered to them?

For example, you pull out and run the tag of the trailer and get the name of the owner, then run the owner to see if the HDT is also registered to the same name?

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

52 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

Phil, when you run a tag through the computer and get the registration, can you then plug the owner's name and get a list of the vehicles registered to them?

For example, you pull out and run the tag of the trailer and get the name of the owner, then run the owner to see if the HDT is also registered to the same name?

I will let Phil answer for Texas.  I can tell you that for Oregon, Washington and Nevada that it can be done, but not usually done for a routine check because it is not fully automated.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

On 5/20/2017 at 2:55 PM, runaway parents said:

So dose any body know if they changed the law on pulling doubles in Washington state? Reason why I am asking I followed a one ton pulling a Montana fifth wheel with a chevy blazer tied on back. Thinking it was an out of state rig got close  enough to find out it had Washington plates. Interesting.

No! You cannot tow doubles unless commercial in Washington state.

Period!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Archived