new shoes, socks, and a bath

lockmup68

Finally got the new rims, and tires for the Teton. Went with the 17.5" Hispec rims and Hercules H904s (6k weight rating and 75 mph speed rating). Sold the old rims and tires to the tire shop for a little so I didn't have to mess with craigslist. Thanks to Barnes Tire Pros in Jasper, TN. Shipped the rims there and they are a Hercules dealer. 7 tires out the door was $1700. I had the rims shipped direct to them. 

My Teton owners manual said 1/2" lugs. Shame on me for not double-checking. Actually 9/16" studs, so had to reuse the old lugs until I can swap out the 1/2" lugs. so three 7k axles are dexter or kodiak with 9/16" lugs? I'm doubting my owners manual now. Manual says Dexter with electric over hydraulic discs.

All the brakes and rotors looked good while the tires were off. 

Also, gave the rig a bath in Chatanooga before coming back home. Of source, started raining on way home. IMG_2295_zpsv6gyiz1p.jpg

IMG_2296_zpsnz5a8r7l.jpg

IMG_2300_zps8spy0vp2.jpg

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

On 5/5/2017 at 9:37 AM, Shawn Patterson said:

Looking good!!

Are you not running a TPMS or had you just not remounted the sensors?

I have a pressure pro system, it's never been hooked up properly and most of the sensors batteries are dead. Looking at options now. 16 new sensors is about cost of new system with flow through sensors. 

TST.  Highly recommended, and I've run most of the systems out there.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

23 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

TST.  Highly recommended, and I've run most of the systems out there.

I haven't run anything but the TST, but as Jack said, highly recommended.  The unit has been rock solid.  I haven't hard-wired in my monitor yet and I am amazed at how long it runs on a single charge!

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

On Jacks recommendation I got TST.  I'm not very smart so Randy got it set up for me.  Everything, truck and trailer is set at 90 psi with 15% high and low warnings....I think.

All was OK until leaving 75f north of Vegas and 200 miles north  dropping down to low 40's f...Low pressure alarm started screaming at me.  Had to air up the tires a bit to compensated for lower ambient temps.  Used the truck compressor.

I had 2 bad sensors right out the gate so they will be sent back....Don't really need them 'cus I got that Crossfire tire equalizer like Scott has.  Only need one sensor for the pair.  Had to rotate 1 tire to get the valves on opposite sides of the rims.

I asked Randy for level of importance of the gizmos to put on the truck, this was top of the list as I recall.

It's one less thing to worry about when on the road.  All I need to concern me about is another hay carrying 'B' train taking out my passengers mirror again.

Good move, Roger.  And it would be at the top of my list as well.....my list is based on not skimping on running gear, brakes and hitches. And things like the TST and Crossfire that support them. After that.....everything else.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

On 5/4/2017 at 10:20 PM, lockmup68 said:

Finally got the new rims, and tires for the Teton. Went with the 17.5" Hispec rims and Hercules H904s (6k weight rating and 75 mph speed rating). Sold the old rims and tires to the tire shop for a little so I didn't have to mess with craigslist. Thanks to Barnes Tire Pros in Jasper, TN. Shipped the rims there and they are a Hercules dealer. 7 tires out the door was $1700. I had the rims shipped direct to them. 

My Teton owners manual said 1/2" lugs. Shame on me for not double-checking. Actually 9/16" studs, so had to reuse the old lugs until I can swap out the 1/2" lugs. so three 7k axles are dexter or kodiak with 9/16" lugs? I'm doubting my owners manual now. Manual says Dexter with electric over hydraulic discs.

All the brakes and rotors looked good while the tires were off. 

Also, gave the rig a bath in Chatanooga before coming back home. Of source, started raining on way home. IMG_2295_zpsv6gyiz1p.jpg

IMG_2296_zpsnz5a8r7l.jpg

IMG_2300_zps8spy0vp2.jpg

Wish I know about your old tires. Would have tired to buy them. Have a triple axle trailer that I'm going to have to  replace tires on. Its a 34ft Tilt Gooseneck trailer. Does not get used much, but when I need it. Love that I can tilt it and drive right up on it.

event.png

Lockmup68       Have you had a chance to run the new tires? Notice any difference? I just installed the 17.5's but they are on steel wheels. I haven't run them yet(19th). My tires call for 120 psi. I think I'll run them about 110-115. I hope the run will help me to decide. Your wheels sure look good! Be safe.    Pat

The Old Sailor 

Much more stable than the old G114s. But they were 2006 date code and cracking. I pulled empty trailer back to Nashville from Chattanooga. The loaded trailer from Nashville to Crossville, only about 45 miles. Will be heading to Raleigh in a few weeks with full load. I'll let you know after that. Seems to ride nicer, but might be buyers good feel euphoria vs. reality. 

Lockmup68    I will be running the 5er with the 17.5's thurs but only 20 miles to the CG at the beach.. Next Mon leave Va Beach and head to Williamsburg for 9 days. Not far either time but hope that helps me to find out how they run. Do you ever get to Va. Beach area? I'll keep you posted on how I find these tires to run. The 5er only weights 16k so not much of an issue w/weight I just want to be safer. We.ll see. You be safe.    Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived