Another Florida License Question

DIESELSUBMARINER

Remoandiris,

Thinks for the ideas, however I don't think they will work. These are pictures of the model truck I've made the deal on and a picture of the model trailer I want to buy. It's a Kentucky drop down, not Tennessee.post-56684-0-99673700-1488680022_thumb.jpegpost-56684-0-77109800-1488680180_thumb.jpeg

Still working, but am an airline pilot, plan on moving west in a few years but own property in Florida now.

No insurance carrier will insure the semi trailer, and that's ok, I'll self insure the trailer, it's the truck I need insured.

No tow bar on the Jeep, it's a built rock crawler, plus I want it and my bikes inside.

Florida does not register HDT's as RV' or private trucks, only as what they are as per the VIN, same with the semi trailer. Period. I hear what your saying about spending the money hoping that it will work out, and I agree.

Maybe consider a European type/style truck and trailer configuration, go with a single axle tractor/truck with a living quarters box on t like Nuke has and then pull a toy trailer with the long low tongue and hitch right behind the drive axle. you will lose the under bed storage on the truck but you gain 2+ feet in enclosed length because the truck to trailer turn clearance decreases when the pivot/hitch is moved forward.

Phil is the Man when it comes to Dr Pepper so he can advise on the propper vodka ratios.......

Dolly, while I prefer Crown Royal in my Dr. Pepper, there is no set ratio in the regulations. The "common law", rule of thumb depends on the flavor of the specific additive. It is advised that you be able to taste both liquids in the mix otherwise the mix is inappropriate. If that is the case, a two fisted drinking method is recommended. That way the flavor of the Dr. Pepper is not diminished.

I'm sure that others will argue my interpretation, but those people are neophytes who only look at the mix from the position of the alcohol and not from the side of the Dr. Pepper, which all true believers realized is truly the nectar of the gods.

Sip responsibly and only from the safety of a lawn chair. A lazyboy recliner may be substituted for the lawn chair.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Dolly,

I'll have some Dr Pepper, only I'll need some Vodka in it...mostly Vodka I think. This inability to get REASONABLE insurance is about to kill my deal and dream!

MrSea, I've searched this site as well as others for a solution. None found.

It's such BS, the insurance companies are happy for me to use in inadequate truck, F-550, to pull a light duty, poorly built trailer when I could have a much safer and capable combination with a HDT and trailer! In my first post I mistakenly put Miller and Lori together. Lori works for Thum Insurance, absolutely useless, whereas Miller and Marlene have been nothing but helpful and courteous, even though she is sure she can't help me. Great company!

Sucks, but I guess I'm stuck with a little truck and trailer!

I am switching to Miller for truck and trailer. They requested pictures and I am clearly tandem and they didn't hesitate. No mention of singling. Should mention, Farm & City was gonna insure me also but was more expensive.

9awwGfml.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Fla does have a private truck provision in the statutes, but what makes an HDT a private truck is not well defined anywhere I have found. Same with what the penalties are for registering an HDT as a MH and then re-installing the 5er hitch. If the penalty was minor, I'd take the leap...kinda of like speeding.

Here is a very good thread from 2015 describing one person's trek to get an HDT registered as an RV in Fla. Even includes pictures the DMV uses to determine a MH or not.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=117904&hl=%2Bflorida+%2Bregistration+%2Bstatute#entry777418

That contraption, and others of it's ilk like the Automated Safety Hitch System, are themselves considered trailers in Florida. Yes, I have been down that road, too. Connecting a 5th wheel to them would be double towing and illegal in Fla. Other states may view them differently.

Fla LEOs may never look twice at them, but if they do, you could be screwed on the side of the road.

I know of people that have vehicles registered in different states. I considered buying a Volvo from a guy in Florida. He had it registered in NY. His resident is Florida. It was registered as Private Truck. Sure seems easier than fooling with Florida

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

That contraption, and others of it's ilk like the Automated Safety Hitch System, are themselves considered trailers in Florida. Yes, I have been down that road, too. Connecting a 5th wheel to them would be double towing and illegal in Fla. Other states may view them differently.

Fla LEOs may never look twice at them, but if they do, you could be screwed on the side of the road.

I was only funnin'. I'm sure I saw commercial dry van doubles and dump trucks pulling wagon type trailers in FLA but it's been many moons since I was there.

What is all the vehicle configuration fuss about in FLA anyways? I recall the countryside as being fairly level and the roads fairly straight ...

an Automated Safety Hitch is actually not a "trailer" - it does not bend in relation to the vehicle. It is a self steering booster or tag axle - like a "flying tag" on a dump truck or concrete mixer. But in FLA it would be "part of the vehicle" that has the hitch "over the axle" therefore forbidden anyways, right?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

an Automated Safety Hitch is actually not a "trailer" - it does not bend in relation to the vehicle. It is a self steering booster or tag axle - like a "flying tag" on a dump truck or concrete mixer. But in FLA it would be "part of the vehicle" that has the hitch "over the axle" therefore forbidden anyways, right?

No, in Fla it is a trailer.

I know of people that have vehicles registered in different states. I considered buying a Volvo from a guy in Florida. He had it registered in NY. His resident is Florida. It was registered as Private Truck. Sure seems easier than fooling with Florida

IIRC, your domicile state is where your vehicles are registered. Meaning the guy was a citizen of NY but owned a residence in Fla. Lots of people do that. They do not get the homeowner tax breaks that a Fla resident does and he would still pay NY income tax.

If he claimed Fla as his domicile and had the truck registered in NY, he was breaking Fla law.

IIRC, your domicile state is where your vehicles are registered. Meaning the guy was a citizen of NY but owned a residence in Fla. Lots of people do that. They do not get the homeowner tax breaks that a Fla resident does and he would still pay NY income tax.

If he claimed Fla as his domicile and had the truck registered in NY, he was breaking Fla law.

Not necessarily true. We live in Indiana. Or farm lies in both Indiana and Ohio. We have several vehicles registered where they are housed, in Ohio. Many states require registration where the vehicle is kept when not in operation. And sometimes neighboring states laws conflict. I have a couple of vehicles that are technically out of compliance, no matter which state I register in. But the key is, we own the land in Ohio where the units are housed, in both states.

Wouldn't it be nice if the states were consistent? For those of us on the borders, it can get difficult.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Not necessarily true. We live in Indiana. Or farm lies in both Indiana and Ohio. We have several vehicles registered where they are housed, in Ohio. Many states require registration where the vehicle is kept when not in operation. And sometimes neighboring states laws conflict. I have a couple of vehicles that are technically out of compliance, no matter which state I register in. But the key is, we own the land in Ohio where the units are housed, in both states.

Wouldn't it be nice if the states were consistent? For those of us on the borders, it can get difficult.

I understand what you are saying, however in the specific instance I was addressing, I am correct. If the guy MOVED to Florida and had Fla as his domicile, he was breaking Fla law by having the HDT registered in NY.

Realistically if the truck was located in NY, there is virtually no chance Fla would care. But, if he had it in Fla...

Yes, I agree. I was just pointing out that there are variations in state laws, and often they can cause issues. I've found myself having to choose which state's laws to break.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

ok guys. thanks for all this info..

after some more talking and re-search, i think i might be ok, driving the truck, registered as a private truck....

PROVIDING i find insurance.... i do have one quote from National General, they would;d do the truck and the trailer together.

they quoted both together at 1900 a year.... full coverage..

but i would like to find another quote as well though.. any thoughts ?

ok guys. thanks for all this info..

after some more talking and re-search, i think i might be ok, driving the truck, registered as a private truck....

PROVIDING i find insurance.... i do have one quote from National General, they would;d do the truck and the trailer together.

they quoted both together at 1900 a year.... full coverage..

but i would like to find another quote as well though.. any thoughts ?

Good luck. I couldn't even find insurance in Fla for an HDT. Closest I got was an outfit based in Calif that only covered the truck when it was hitched to the trailer. No trips to the grocery store or anything like that. IIRC, it was ridiculously expensive even for that.

I talked to National again, and they actually told me, that they are the only ones providing HDT Insurance in Florida.. So i will review the quote again and see what i might cut.. the 1900.- a year is for full timer insurance , full coverage on truck and trailer with 500 deductible and personal insurance Protection.

I talked to National again, and they actually told me, that they are the only ones providing HDT Insurance in Florida.. So i will review the quote again and see what i might cut.. the 1900.- a year is for full timer insurance , full coverage on truck and trailer with 500 deductible and personal insurance Protection.

Review the last several posts in the recent HDT insurance thread (link below). Another Fla member seeking HDT insurance called Gilbert. Said they will cover an HDT and trailer.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=126782

Archived