Chains. Who carries them?

Jeff.Sloan

As was said above, if it looks like a duck....

Colorado either "has", or "in the process of" put into law that even passenger cars have to have good winter tires or chains during winter months and especially on mountain passes. The CSP is tired of all the idiots driving these passes with worn out summer tires, and then spinning out in the middle of the road and causing lane closurers and accidents.

I have never had to hang iron on MY HDT, but I also don't want to be the guy that didn't, and should have. The CSP pulled me to the side of the road a couple weeks ago for a safety inspection. After showing all my paperwork, they let me go. I would imagine they would be for writing a ticket for no chains, until persuaded otherwise. Persuasion may be difficult if you happen to be the guy spun out in the middle of the road.

Not worth the hassle for me.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

When I was a child-slave Grumps would drop me off (4:00 AM) in a big snow bank out in the woods in the center of nowhere around Xmax vacation time and then I would install chains at $0.25 per axle on log trucks outbound and then remove chains inbound at $0.10 per axle.....

Obviously I made a killing and likely came close to feeling wealthy and as well off as Trump feels today......

Flash forward to now.......If it snows on the Dollytrolley now I just unload the Samurai and drive away till the snow melts.......wife ask why I don't chain the Trolly.....I tell her with inflation she would have to pay me $50 per axle ........ya right.....

Drive on...........(stay away from the ......snow-zone)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

As was said above, if it looks like a duck....

Colorado either "has", or "in the process of" put into law that even passenger cars have to have good winter tires or chains during winter months and especially on mountain passes

I believe that they have enacted that for the I-70 corridor but the legislature caught a lot of flack for not making it applicable state wide.

With no hard evidence I would be willing to bet that per capita Colorado has more 4WD or AWD vehicles than any other state. Unfortunately, most of these drivers don't realize that while those features may get you going they do NOTHING to help you STOP!

The looks like a duck response was what I expected. Thanks for that!

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Along the lines of PSD_Tweeker Rick, member Bigstick spent the day playing in the Alberta oilpatch mud. He's still got some(lots) of jewellery hanging on the racks.

IMG_20161102_115901_zps6o1ucpss.jpg

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

For $120 you get the peace of mind that if you ever get caught trying to get over one of Colorado's 10-11,000 ft passes, you can. If you NEVER and I mean NEVER are in the mountains of Colorado from Sept 1st to May 31st you might save the $120. Having spent 30 years there I know it can snow enough to require chains almost every month of the year with the exception of maybe June, July and August. I don't care whether the rules for commercial drivers apply to us or not, I carry chains because I still love the mountains. I DO NOT want to be 'that guy' who got his rig turned sideways trying to get over the pass in a freak spring snowstorm which by the way produces some of the wettest, slipperiest snow known to man. Just a few inches on the road is enough to create havoc and can fall in a very short time. I singled out Colorado but many other states have mountains with snow....pretty much every state west of Colorado and others. I never 'plan' to drive my HDT into a snowstorm but to me the best plan is to be prepared.

Circ & Cindi Toepel

2015 Volvo 730 Niki (for our daughter who didn't make it)

Cougar SRX with side ramp access to garage

Coming soon....42' Forks Continental

I have autosocks and i actually had to put them on this year on my way home for the denver stock show, Colorado DOT or what ever stopped us told us to put on chains. I mentioned i would like to wait it out the said fine, put on chains and go the the next offramp. no parking here. the next question was you do have chains right? my response was of course. and he walk down the road to the next truck. This was in pretty fair weather so it is not always as optional as some might make it out to be.

I also carry chains year around. Thought they would come in handy in some camp grounds where you have to cross wet grass. Throw them on the grass for extra traction. Got mine from a trucking company for free. Had to fix them four sets of doubles they came off logging trucks. Hope I wont need them for snow. But it is better to have them an not need them. Then to need them and not have them.

I have three raillery for the truck and trailer chains also. In the great plains the wind can and will blow the trailer off the road. When you go to rally and park in the grass. It gets wet and you can not move lay the chains out in front of the tire and drive over them.

event.png

Glyn (KL0PG) & Diane Carson
2002 I-H 4400 Papa's Dream (Mama's Nightmare)
2015 Space Craft V400
Furkid Max

email: dlcarsonak@hotmail.com

Archived