Class A Diesel Towing Ford F150

champ_49

Considering towing a Ford F150 behind a Class A Diesel. Anyone doing it and if so what are the pro's and con's of doing so? Also the Coach will be in the 35' to 40' range

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

I think he meant the coach was Diesel, not the truck. Ford doesn't make a F150 Diesel.

From what I'm reading, if it's 4x4, the F150 can be flat towed just fine after certain years and I would guess most are auto in this config. Looking online, it appears around 2012 the F150 was updated to be flat towed. I haven't looked into that extensively though. - http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/ford-f150-4x4-now-flat-towable-112404.html

Found this on getting the electronic 4x4 transfer case into N. I would imagine before this, you couldn't put the electronic transfer case into N which is why they couldn't be flat towed - http://community.fmca.com/topic/3545-towing-ford-f-150-four-wheels-down/

I'm guessing the OP is looking more for opinions about carrying a F150 which is a larger toad behind a Diesel Class A and how well it works. I see lots of references out there, so appears quite a few are doing it.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Kirk and BlueLghting

I am considering purchasing a Class A diesel and want to tow my 2012 Ford F-150 all wheels down. With purchasing the motorhome I need a toad to haul and I have the Ford. I question one thing. It will be heavier than most toads and don't know if a diesel will handle it or not with the 35 - 40 ft motorhome. Don't want to run into trouble, but also don't want to purchase a car also.

So this is speculation, not something that I have done yet. I have a 40' Bighorn 5th wheel that's hauled by a 2000 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 diesel now. Both are in excellent condition and it hauls very well. Would like to go to class A once again I'm thinking. In the looking stage right now.

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

Semper Fi Marines!!

I can't really help you if the Class A can handle a F150 toad, but I think being a Diesel and the size you are looking at shouldn't be too bad. I would guess the first place to start is the towing capabilities of the coaches you are looking at and how much of that the F150 is going to take up. Maybe also the different HP/Torque available from the Diesel engines that you might find in these coaches. From the searches I did earlier, an F150 or other 1/2 ton trucks as a toad aren't totally out of the question it appears.

Hopefully someone with experience towing 1/2 ton trucks can chime in and let you know their experience.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

I tow a 2012 F150 4x4 behind my 40' pusher. 2012 WAS the year Ford introduced the transfer case that could be placed in neutral. I had a 2011 and considered a drive line disconnect but got a great deal on a left over 2012 so went that way. The motorhome has a tow rating of 10,000# and easily handles to truck even in VERY hilly terrain. Average around 7.5mpg.

The key is 2012 or newer 4x4. You did not say in your posts if your is a 4x4 or a 4x2. A 4x2 auto "could" be towed with a drive shaft disconnect. A 4x2 stick "should" be capable of being towed but recommend more research.

I would not recommend towing a F150 with anything less than 370-400 HP. And make sure the coach has at least 7-8000 tow rating (your F150 curb weight is likely 6000+ empty).

Good luck,

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

It's all about weight. Even a 370-400HP Diesel Pusher, could be taxed with the added weight of the 2012 F150 - IF the coach itself is a heavier unit. A 40' non tag with 400HP, would probably be fine. A 40' with tag, and thus another 2500-3000lbs, would not handle the extra weight as easily. Same thing can be said when comparing the weight of a 40' with the Freightliner and or Spartan chassis, to those that are built on a specialty chassis (Dynamax for County Coach; Roadmaster for Monaco (Upper end Monaco.) Foretravel also has their own chassis too.), these chassis usually also add more weight due components used and metal used. So that makes those 40' coaches heavier too...

I mentioned on another board, I believe to this question, that I'm considering the Aluminum F150 (I tease my buddy, that he helped build it for me, from all the Coors Lights he drinks:)!). That weight savings is signifiant. Making the F150 very close to the weight, and in some trims less then a Jeep Grand Cherokee, or even the Ford Explorer.

And finally. OK, so you pull the 2012 F150 behind a DP that is not ideally powered to handle the combined weight. So you go up hills a bit slower, and that would be OK. I feel it is more important on the down hills, or driving in traffic, having adequate braking capacity to handle the extra weight. Having a true Jake Compression Brake, even in the mid size Cummins 8.9 ISL, will give you better stopping capacity then an exhaust brake. Many 40' DP's came with the ISC (No longer being built.), and even some with the ISB 6.7, many have ISL's - but with Exhaust Brakes vs Compression Brakes. Exhaust Braking is better then no brake assist, but Compression Braking provide and added safety edge.

So, yes to the 2012 F150 as a toad. Even more so, with the right DP:)!

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Need to look at the "Combined" (GCWR) for the coach and the hitch rating. Our coach has a 10,000 lb rated hitch and corresponding Combined weight rating of 10,000 over the gross vehicle weight . My question is what type of supplemental braking system are you going to add to the truck?

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Okay, so it appears its a doable thing. Yes I understand all the weight things you are talking about as I was a fulltimer with a 40' 5th wheel and understand all to well about the weight. I will be putting a braking system in the truck if I decide to do this for sure. Not even sure that the truck is the way I want to go. The engine will be at least 400HP and hopefully an Allison transmission. I haven't found the rig I want yet as I'm just starting to put the numbers together on where to go from here. It will be a used coach with low mileage and one of the better brands. Looking at Tiffin, and Winnebago mostly, 2006 and up. Some slides, and that has been taken very good care of.

Thank you for all your input.

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

Semper Fi Marines!!

I am towing a GMC 1500 ext cab with a polaris RZR on the back so figure approx 6500 tp 7000 lbs. the DP handles it just fine although it definitely is extra weight that I can feel.

Biggest problem with this truck is the electronic transfer case...very much a pita. I am considering selling this truck and buying an older one with a manual transfer case. I have talked to other owners of other makes who tow vehicles with electronic transfer cases ...they are all problematic at times.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

After towing a Jeep Rubicon almost 4 years we switched to a 2016 F150 a few months ago and have towed it from Oregon up through Colorado and down to Arizona with no issues.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

I am towing a GMC 1500 ext cab with a polaris RZR on the back so figure approx 6500 tp 7000 lbs. the DP handles it just fine although it definitely is extra weight that I can feel.

Biggest problem with this truck is the electronic transfer case...very much a pita. I am considering selling this truck and buying an older one with a manual transfer case. I have talked to other owners of other makes who tow vehicles with electronic transfer cases ...they are all problematic at times.

Jim, not to steal the thread, but the GM electronic transfer case must be shifted frequently or it seems to balk at going into Neutral. When I bought my '13 last July it would not shift to N. I sat it in on the dealers lot for ~ 15 minutes shifting it in/out of N until it would shift easily and faster, then signed the line.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray...how is the transfer case working out as you tow the truck?

My biggest problem is getting the truck to go back into gear after a long tow....I am wondering if its getting hot and that might be the problem....I dunno. My tranny guy said to shift it and use 4x4 sometimes so as to get a bit of wear on it.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived