Door Lock

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

After the normal Sunday WalMart trip, I went to lock the driver's door and the key will not turn in the lock. Key turns to the left but not to the right. Lock does operate when pushed/engaged from the inside.

After I remove the door panel, what do I need to look for?

I'm hoping it's a simple fix. Maintenance has been expensive this month.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim - try using PB Blaster in and around the lock cylinder. It is not unusual for the pins in the lock mechanism to stick in the cylinder. But, knowing that the lock will turn one way and not the other makes one want to follow the rod inside the door from the key cylinder up to where the striker latch is. That is another area where lubrication with a solvent/lube like PB blaster can help loosen things up. It takes a fair amount of force to move the parts in the latch and there is very little mechanical advantage/leverage in the lock design - in fact the mechanical force from your hand twisting the key does all the work. Get all the accumulated grease, rust and dirt out of the striker mechanism inside the door and re-lube with something that will not thicken and turn to gum when it gets cold. I like to use heavy duty silicone spray.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

X2 on Randy's advice. I use something like brake cleaner to get the old crud out, then a spritz of Sili-Kroil for lube.

Btw, silicone sray also works well on power window rails.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

If the key cylinder were bad it should have gotten harder to turn over the last couple of weeks or more. It sounds like a rod came loose from the key cylinder to the door latch and is binding in one direction, most likely a broken plastic rod clip on the rod end. Rod clips can be purchased from Autozone or likewise for a couple of bucks. You will need to remove the inside door panel to access the rods. While in the door, clean the dust out and lubricate all moving parts, especially the window scissor arms.

Greg

A&J,

Are your locks mechanical or electric? On my '01, they are electric. The driver's door will not lock the truck but will unlock it. The passenger's side door will lock and unlocks both doors. Like yours, the driver's door lock will turn left to unlock but not right to lock. I lubricated the heck out of the lock cylinder several times to no avail. I think I am going to have to remove the door panel to find out what is going on. I would be interested to know what you find out.

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Several years ago mine started that my key would unlock it but would not lock it.

Changed keys with the DW and that one did work.

Then did clean and lube it. But that was a few years ago so just cannot remember what I did but it still works.

Safe Ravels, Vern

Mine are manual locks.

Funny thing happened today..... Driving thru a construction area, had a "Bump" read 6" drop where they had ground out asphalt to repave the road.

Went to lock the door when I got out and it locked.....

I'll still take it apart this coming weekend and clean and lube the mechanism.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim,

I would still call Volvo and give them the vin and order a new key,

not much money and then you will know if the key is causing all your problems, if you still have you old ignition switch you could try the key in it to see if it works, then you could change out the tumbler and you would be down to one key does all again.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Good idea Roger but....

With the old ignition assembly out of the truck, it went with me to pick up the new assembly at the Volvo dealer. One of their old time mechanics asked if I minded him looking at the assembly to see if it could be taken apart..... SURE I said..... let's see what broke.

Looking at the assembly, there is what seems to be a flap/door that is pressed shut during assembly. With persuasion, you can gently pry that open..... what you don't know is that there is nothing behind it that helps in removing a stuck key cylinder. Off came the top cover where the key slides into the mechanism. Also no help. Out came a cutting wheel. We sliced the housing down 2 sides and separated it. Not much to it when taken apart but the main rod that engages the steering shaft, and the lock cylinder.

Normally you can push in the detent pin on the side of the housing and with the key in the cylinder, rotate the cylinder and lift it out of the housing. But when the detent pin jammed in the key cylinder, it broke a spring and retaining clip/washer of some sort locking it into place.

I still only carry 1 key.... until I'm fussed at the ign key stays in the truck and I only carry the door key.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived