I turn 65 next May Medicare?

RV_

OK fellow military retirees, I need the steps to get my act together for the switch from Tricare to Tricare For Life. I already opted to take my Social Security at age 62 as my wife just did. MY understanding is I must register for Part B and then start paying monthly?? If PM is desired just email me at RV at rvroadie dot com. I am just starting to research this. My younger brother died at 56 and I am of the opinion that every day has been a gift requiring husbandry. Next up is TFL.

Any tips tricks and traps to do or avoid?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I believe if you are already receiving Social Security that when you become eligible for Medicare you will automatically be enrolled. At least I was, and was also automatically switched to TFL. As Tricare requires you to take part B, I did not have to opt into it but was automatically enrolled along with part A.

You should check into it, but I don't think you will have to do anything.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

RV

How it worked for me. When I turned 65 I received my Medicare Care card in the mail. Sign it keep it in your wallet and you are good to go, nothing else needs to be done. Send it back and decline Medicare Care part B and the $104 a month that part B cost deducted from you monthly SS check and you are no longer elligable for TFL nor is your wife. Tricare will automatically rollover to TFL. If you choose to go to a civilian doctor and use your Medicare Care all you do is tell them that TFL is your secondary and that is it. I have not used my Medicare Care since I started paying for in May of 2015. I still go to the VA. Linda started using Medicare and got a new doctor and has used it and TFL and it has been flawless. It now cost me$1248 a year for insurance I don't even use. It now cost me $2496 a year for medical insurance where before it cost me $269.28 a year when Linda was using Tricare Prime.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

RV:

As others have said, enrollment in Medicare is pretty much automatic so you don't have to be proactive. From what I read, it appears that TFL will serve for you the same role as do our Medicare supplemental policies (Medigap). With our Plan F policies we pay absolutely nothing for copays at the doctor's office or in a hospital.

However, with respect to prescription drugs the situation seems a bit murkier. Here's TFL's comments on your need for a Part D Rx plan: http://www.tricare.mil/medicarepartd It sounds as if you probably don't need one but you may have to evaluate your circumstances each year.

To my surprise, using Medicare for the past 4 years has been rather painless. We've not had trouble getting doctors nor have we had claims denied. I guess we've just been lucky.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I just wanted to make sure that Part B is all I need to enroll in and all is set. Part D is no advantage as we live near a base. No copay required. Guess this is a non-event. Thanks all.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV

Once you turn 65 the base may not fill your perscriptions. You may be forced to use Express Script which is the mail order perscription side of Tricare and TFL. Linda has been using Express Script even when we were on the road. for years with little problems. The Medicare Doctor will send your perscription to Express Scrip and you refill for a year I believe before getting a nex perscription from the Doctor. I still use the VA for my med's so I have never used Express Script but for the most part it works well.

90 day supply usually no co-pay but some time there is something like $3.00.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

If you are a retiree, check the expiration date on your current military ID. It should expire the day before your 65th birthday. A few days prior to that time, go to the nearest ID card section. They will issue your new military ID, change your DEERS (Defense Eligibility Enrollment System) status to reflect your age and Medicare eligibility, and switch you over to Tricare for Life. Medicare then becomes your primary payer and Tricare your secondary (picking up the rest of the bill). I don't know what to tell you about prescriptions as we already get ours through Express Scripts.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Express Scripts wull fill all your scripts via mail..

With a single use drug such as an antibiotic you will fill at a regular pharmacy and pay a small co - pay.

A new maintenance drug may be initially filled at a pharmacy. You may fill with 30 days supply and one refill but after that it needs to be switched to Express Scripts if you do not switch it you will then pay full price for refills

You may get your drugs at a base, but some small bases may not do this for you.

We have used Express Scripts seamlessly for 10 years

You can go on the web site and change your temp address as needed, including to a general delivery one

Express Scripts has been rapidly upgrading their web site and customer service.

There are no copays if your drug is generic. If it is filled as non generic there is a co pay and the price depends on the drug. Ron has one that cast him all of $20 for 90 days.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Thanks everyone.

It looks like it is automatic.

Rob,

Thanks for the heads up on my retiree ID card, I never noticed before. In my case with a birthday on the 3rd, mine expires on the 30th of the previous month. It is the little things that cause most of the Charlie Foxtrots. I'd have missed that one.

Dennis and Nana, we are a major installation with a clinic that used to be a full service hospital, in fact I was a medic there for my first tour after moving into it from the old hospital, which has been CE ever since we, the hospital, moved out. Perhaps that makes a difference but lots of old-timers get their scripts filled there and I believe it will continue. I did have the VA try to send me prescriptions with a copay by mail and instead got them to write me paper ones that I filled at the base.

I chose Tricare standard from retirement on because we started our 7 years of fulltiming from my retirement base, Lackland AFB Texas, and moved into our first fiver while still active duty, but relieved of duty, and on terminal leave. So standard served us much better than Prime and all the regional move rules in 1997. We chose Tricare standard, not prime, as we have been healthy and prefer our own civilian doctors and don't want the hassles of asking for Tricare prime approval first and then referred to their in-system limited providers. Funny but I will hit my catastrophic cap for the first time in this last Tricare year for me. Two spinal surgeries with Tampa's Laser Spinal institute next month, and my cataract surgeries for both eyes with a $3k out of pocket for the new lenses with no glasses needed for life. I'll gladly pay $1500 for each eye out of pocket to throw away my prescription lenses, near or far. My eye surgeon also uses a laser to cut out the old lenses and is much more precise. Their patients are seeing excellent results. (pun int.)

Guess I have it nailed now. ID card is my part.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived