Cloth Seats?

OverSoul7

We have been looking lately at larger trailers and even 5th wheels. Almost every one has leather furniture. Is this pretty standard from what you all have seen? I don't like leather and wouldn't buy it so anyone have suggestions? Is it pretty much like finding a specific needle in a pile of needles or else custom ordering to find cloth seats in the larger trailers and 5th wheels?

Thanks

We have cloth and I do not like it. Gets dirty, holds dust and is not easy to clean. The fabric is quality heavy duty fabric but does not hold up well to repeated cleanings. I would be the opposite of you and would choose and want leather - easier to clean.

Pat DeJong

For a little extra cushion between you and the leather you could get some simple seat cushions sold for dining room chairs. Some come with memory foam and are extra comfy. One of the nice things about leather, by the way, is it is easier to slide in and out of a dinette seat on leather than fabric.

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

We had our furniture built and both the sofa and the loveseat are cloth. Leather is either too cold or too hot and cloth is "just right". Haven't had any problems keeping them clean but it could be an issue with kids or if the dogs were allowed on the furniture.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

We do keep a blanket on furniture because of the dogs but it's nice because I can just wash them. The blankets would fall off the leather.

I think leather looks very nice, I just don't like sitting on it for the reasons stated here. We have always chosen cloth over leather for home and this is going to be out home for awhile some day.

Most stock RV upholstery is not full-thickness genuine leather - it is "bonded leather." This is where leather remnants are ground up and combined with a fabric material in a way that the final product resembles real leather and has leather content. Because this is a cost-cutting approach for the furniture manufacturers, they often use a thinner material which causes seams to come apart and high-wear areas to wear through. Genuine, full-thickness leather would be cost-prohibitive for all but the higher-end coaches.

As for whether or not you like leather - that is a very personal thing. In an automotive application, leather tends to last much longer but, as has been stated, can be hot or cold if not heated and cooled by the vehicle's systems. The seats in our truck are leather and are heated for winter use. In our RV, we have both bonded leather and genuine full-thickness leather furniture. The former is the theater seating that came with the RV. It was replaced for a torn seam within the first seven months of use and the same seam has ripped again. We like the seats, so we just ordered a leather patch from Amazon and fixed it ourselves. The latter (genuine leather item) is an Ekornes Stressless recliner which replaced the so-called sleeper sofa at the back of the living area. Ekornes leather furniture has a reputation of remaining in good condition with the original leather for twenty years and more of regular use. Either product is MUCH easier to clean than cloth - something we think about when our grandchildren visit.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I will keep all this in mind next time I am inside an RV but I still can't see me going with leather or leather like unless I just can't find what I want in non-leather. For me, it would feel like I was in my union boss' office without the full upright stuffed bear greeting me. No matter what size I get I want it to feel like home. I am thinking it is time for me to step away from this board until after the purchase so I end up really getting what we want. I do know the basics for the tow plus vehicle and have gotten some good tips and ideas but I find myself looking at bigger then we are comfortable driving. I started out wanting small and zippy and ended up looking at way larger. I think middle will suit us with a bigger tow vehicle - probably a gas Ford 250 depending upon what's out there as this time we are not going to buy new. I like the idea of a utility cover for the bed of the truck which will allow for a shorter trailer when considering storage. I appreciate everyone's kindness and help and I feel much better equipped to make a decision. I also want to make a decision based on our income and not over-buy because it's the popular choice. I am going to step away from 40 and 50k trailers, let alone those above that. If after two years we decide we will likely add another 5 years or more we can upgrade the size then but I also bet we will not be traveling as much by then as when we start out.

Thanks to everyone and happy trails. Hope to meet a lot of you in person someday.

Christine

Christine,

Sounds like a good plan. Just remember that the weight of a cap on the truck and any cargo in the bed subtracts from the payload for tongue weight. With a 3/4 ton and a pull-behind, you should be OK, though.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

We have leather recliners and a "faux" leather couch. Absolutely love the leather; don't seem to stick to it as much compared to the couch. Wouldn't have anything but leather for the recliners.

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

I found the answer to my question was to visit more trailer dealers. Some have almost exclusively the leather or leather-look and others have a balanced selection of cloth models available as well. It's a matter of keep looking until you find what you like, or order it in some cases.

I found the answer to my question was to visit more trailer dealers. Some have almost exclusively the leather or leather-look and others have a balanced selection of cloth models available as well. It's a matter of keep looking until you find what you like, or order it in some cases.

And there you are - "problem" solved!

Keep visiting.

Archived