Adding "Limo" shade to the top 12" of the windshield

I have been thinking about adding 12 " or so of Limo Tinting to the top of my windshield to

1. keep out the early morning sun (I have an RV shade on my front window, but alas, it doesn't go ll the way to the top.)

2. To help block out the sun while driving West.

Is this LEGAL? It certainly wont block my vision, as I can only see the sky in that part of the windshield.

Has anyone done this on their rig?

My windshield glass is 4 feet tall and eye-level is at about 20" from the bottom of the glass.

Comments?

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Apx the top 1/3 off mine is tinted ... and that part is completely blocked from my vision by the overhead cabinets. The top half of my windshield is basically useless for forward vision. I would do it.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

If you are worried about "being legal", check with a local tinter... they know what you are SUPPOSE to do. I think 12" is legal... but I would check.

Debbie

2000 Volvo 770 Auto Shift/ 2L Custom Hauler Body with Smart Car Air Loader
2011 Smart Passion

2012 New Horizons 42' Custom 5th wheel (New Horizons Ambassadors)

I'd check with your home state on tinting, some states have diffeent rules so you want your tint to match your registration.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Watch semi's as you meet them. Some have the top 1/3 tinted with very dark tint, I saw one with mirrored tint at the top 1/3 and limo tint on the bottom 1/4. If DOT OK's that, I suppose our MH's would be OK too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks for the feedback! Checking with the Tinting people was a great idea, Debbie! I had thought about trying to check with a DPS Officer, but I guess the only way to do that is to speed.........I tried getting one on the telephone and I have decided that they did carry them. I tried contacting the Drivers License people (for several days) and I guess they don't have phones either.

THANKS!!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

• 3 weeks later...

Almost all the tint places have a chart that covers what each state allows. There are many variations of tinting allowed, and you must get it right for YOUR state. I tint all my vehicles, but I've never done a band across the windshield. If you do tint, use the product with silver/metal in it. It is much more efficient at managing light. That would not apply to the band, but to side windows.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Just had the front side windows and windshield done with 3M Crystalline. The windshield was completely covered. So far I like it.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Different states different laws- did a google search on South Dakota tint laws.

Windshield can be 35% down to the AS-1 line

Side windows 35%

Rear side 20%

Rear window 20%

35% light thru

20% light thru the tint and glass.

Has to be a non-reflective type.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jack- Do you have any issues with seeing the mirrors at night with the side windows tinted?

We had the maximum Arizona level tint on our side windows and had little issue with the tint at night, it really helped with following headlights. If it did cause a problem I'd just roll the windows down while backing.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I looked at our Volvo windshield and could not find the AS-1 line marking. Several neighbors in the park have pickups and the marking was about 1/4 down from the top.

To help cut the heat gain, I'm going to find a local shop to tint the sides and a strip across the windshield at the top.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jack- Do you have any issues with seeing the mirrors at night with the side windows tinted?

You can definitely get reflection from the interior instrumentation. How bad it is depends on the car layout. And the amount and type of tint. I found that the "metalized" tint is better than thus the regular tint. To me, the amount of reflection was never bad enough to affect my side mirror images, but I would say "it depends" on the particular situation.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack, your comment "it depends on the particular situation" is exact. The Winnebago factory tint on the front side windows sometimes causes a reflection in my mirrors of what is happening on the othe side of the MH. Causes me a problem occasionally, when the sun is just right.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived