Maiden Voyage with the 5th

Asross72

First trip with the trailer hooked to the 880 on the weekend. From Calgary area, through the Rocky Mountains to the Okanagan to visit family for the long weekend. Family loved the big comfy cabin. The power up the hills and engine braking down the the other side made for a relaxing trip.

I've added a link to some pictures, first time I've done this, so I hope it worked.

Alan

PS the pic with the white stuff is what we woke up to the morning we left home.

https://goo.gl/photos/V9BpECgovkRArK8r7

2007 Volvo 880

2014 Palomino Sabre 36qbok

Very nice, Alan. I'm sure you don't notice the trailer back there.... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Nice rig.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I'm a little jealous and will be in the same boat in a week or two. Of course I'll be a little bit chatty AFTER I see that I've not screwed up all that much.

Tipper

"GAR" is a 2001 White Volvo 660 singled long w/ VED12 465 3.58 - Eaton Fuller Auto-shift 10spd. 3 pedal- Onan QD 6500 Gen. (aka "Joyrider")

2010 Carriage Royals International 36MAX1 w/ MORryde IS, G114's 17.5" wheels, (SOLD)

2014 Honda CRV AWD (ready to flat tow but driven separately by my DW!

Class of 2016 Full-Timers

First trip with the trailer hooked to the 880 on the weekend. From Calgary area, through the Rocky Mountains to the Okanagan to visit family for the long weekend. Family loved the big comfy cabin. The power up the hills and engine braking down the the other side made for a relaxing trip.

I've added a link to some pictures, first time I've done this, so I hope it worked.

Alan

PS the pic with the white stuff is what we woke up to the morning we left home.

https://goo.gl/photos/V9BpECgovkRArK8r7

VERY NICE!!

What state did you register your truck, and was it difficult??

Does the 880 suck more, less, or about the same amount of fuel as the 780??

The Few

VERY NICE!!

What state did you register your truck, and was it difficult??

Does the 880 suck more, less, or about the same amount of fuel as the 780??

I'm in Alberta, Canada. Was not difficult. Private truck.

It has the Volvo D16, 13 speed manual, so I'm sure it uses a bit more than the D13. Quick math for the trip was about 8.5 mpg. 15,000 lb trailer through the Rocky Mountains. Might have done better, but time was a factor, so I wasn't particularly nice to the go pedal.

2007 Volvo 880

My D13 got 8.3 pulling out of YYC thru the Rocks, around Radium, Cranbrook etc. So that's pretty good, my trailer is 22.5k lbs.

Have a look at Radium Valley Vacation Resort in Radium, pretty swanky digs. Indoor as well as outdoor pool, free use of bbq, gazebo. Pancake breakfast Sundays.

Watch out for radar returning to Calgary thru the Parks, don't speed. They pull drivers over by the dozens on their return to YYC. by the animal overpasses.

Also Golden Ear Fruit Stand may be open near Chase, redish orange building. Pick up some fresh baked pies. They also have cookies the size of saucers. Location is just past the AW westbound on the left side of the road. He widened out the parking last year. 2 yrs ago I ragged on him complaining there was never enough room for me to park.

I'll be up there late June for th RV Seminars at the Kelowna College, something like the old Life on Wheels.

My D13 got 8.3 pulling out of YYC thru the Rocks, around Radium, Cranbrook etc. So that's pretty good, my trailer is 22.5k lbs.

Have a look at Radium Valley Vacation Resort in Radium, pretty swanky digs. Indoor as well as outdoor pool, free use of bbq, gazebo. Pancake breakfast Sundays.

Watch out for radar returning to Calgary thru the Parks, don't speed. They pull drivers over by the dozens by the animal overpasses on their return to YYC.

Also Golden Ear Fruit Stand may be open near Chase, redish orange building. Pick up some fresh baked pies. They also have cookies the size of saucers. Location is just past the AW westbound on the left side of the road. He widened out the parking last year. 2 yrs ago I ragged on him complaining there was never enough room for me to park.

I'll be up there late June for th RV Seminars at the Kelowna College, something like the old Life on Wheels.

Ya, I lost count of the police on the road. Standard long weekend, lots of traffic. I got a few double-take looks from them as I passed. Lol

I'll have a look at the radium resort. That's a beautiful area. Thanks for the tip Roger.

2007 Volvo 880

If you go from Golden south, there are tall poles with brackets on the top where eagles make their nest. You may be in time to see the young'uns poking their heads over. Parents are non too happy.

White water rafting in Golden and Tubing north of Ft Steel if WWR is too stressful for your ticker.

Don't forget to try the hot pools up the road a bit toward Kootenay park out of Radium just the big hill.

Also at Ft Steel you could pan for gold, it's on my bucket list for this year.

Archived