Tire Monitor False Alarms

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am asking the question to find out if anybody ever had this problem with false alarms with your tire monitoring system. Coming home from the '16 ECR I had about a dozen false alarms with my system. No alarm icon came up on the screen to say what the problem was. All there was , was the beeping of the audible alarm and the red light flashing. The monitor kept going between the other tires as the alarm kept sounding. The system is a little over 1 years old. The air temperature was about 80f. The system that I have is, TST model 510. Any ideas ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Are you using a repeater?

Are you using the small rubber antenna?

Have you tried the longer wired antenna?

Are your sensors protruding or recessed in the tire rims?

Are the sensors tight? Sometimes not tight enough will not seat the o-ring properly.

Double check your " high/low" parameter settings. Maybe they need to be adjusted based on current use.

I've not had any false alarms (yet) with the TST, but I had them from time-to-time with the Pressurepro. It is likely some sort of interference. I could never figure out what triggered it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I've not had any false alarms (yet) with the TST, but I had them from time-to-time with the Pressurepro. It is likely some sort of interference. I could never figure out what triggered it.

My experience is the same as Jack's. But when you speak of "alarms" are you only referring to "loss of pressure" alerts or are you including "loss of sensor signal"? With my TST (even with a repeater) I get occasional loss of sensor signal from one or more sensors. Usually it's due to a low battery but not always.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

You may have a sensor with a low battery. If so, it will sound an alarm and you will have to look closely to see the small battery symbol flashing. If it happens while driving, it will probably be the sensor which is presently on the screen. If it's sounding when you open your vehicle and get in, you may need to scroll through the sensors to see which one set if off.

You should not get an alarm just because you lose signal from a sensor, so it shouldn't be a case of just losing a signal from a sensor which is too far from the monitor or whatever.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

You can silence the alarm press any button once. and then page to see what tire is sending the alarm look for the symbol. Check your manual for description.

It may be a high press alarm if it's hot out and you may need to adjust the high press for that axle to higher press. Typically 20 psi over set press

I am guessing here a bit because you haven't determined what the alarm is.

I have not ever had a false alarm on the TST just flat or low tire , high press when not set up correctly and low sensor batt user replacable in a 507 syst.

You should call TST direct they can sort this for you in short order. They are great to deal with.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Are you using a repeater?

Are you using the small rubber antenna?

Have you tried the longer wired antenna?

Are your sensors protruding or recessed in the tire rims?

Are the sensors tight? Sometimes not tight enough will not seat the o-ring properly.

Double check your " high/low" parameter settings. Maybe they need to be adjusted based on current use.

Hi Everyone,

Here is a few answers to the above questions.

Are you using a repeater? No.

Are you using the small rubber antenna? I am using the stock antenna.

Have you tried the longer wired antenna? No

Are your sensors protruding or recessed in the tire rims? The sensors stick out on the front tires and the trailer tires. The truck rear, the sensors are inside the rim.

Are the sensors tight? Sometimes not tight enough will not seat the o-ring properly. The sensors are tight, but not over tight.

Double check your " high/low" parameter settings. Maybe they need to be adjusted based on current use. The high side is set at 20psi over and the low side is 10psi under.

The drive going to the rally everything seemed to be ok. The temperature was about 40f that day. The monitor does not stop at any point when the alarm goes off. You can not tell what wheel would cause the problem. When driving you can not take a long look at the monitor. If you do, you could cause a big problem for yourself.

Maybe I should call the tech support line for help.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Setting of the proper alarm levels is a challenge.

We have the same system, pressure goes higher than the setpoint and beep, beep beep.

Going to bump them by 5# or so next and see if that is still too low.

Remember, you have both high and low pressure set points.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

I have had my alarm sound a false alarm when the battery of a sensor is low. There is a symbol on the lower right corner of the screen indicating the battery strength of the monitor. There is a symbol on the bottom left corner that will appear if the power on a sensor is low.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Archived