snow chains

GlennWest

Chains need about 1 1/4" of clearance, but that is not an issue because you do not run them with-out air suspension.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

You may be able to use the Tire sock.

We have chains for our truck but have not used them yet. Used them on our dually once. Very slow ride!

Where in Iowa are you thinking of being at?

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We will be at the CF Industries plant south of Sioux City. Koa in North Sioux City, SD. They also park in Nebraska looks promising. Don't really want to be there in winter but not my choice. Thought I had read on forum one stated he couldn't use chains due to bed clearances. Reason I was inquiring. Reckon Smart is out of the question. lol

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Smart is fine in winter as long as they plow main roads. I drove mine as daily driver in Canada no issues at all. I was motoring when 4c4s were in the ditch.

Winter tires on all 4 must. Available.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

We will be at the CF Industries plant south of Sioux City. Koa in North Sioux City, SD. They also park in Nebraska looks promising. Don't really want to be there in winter but not my choice. Thought I had read on forum one stated he couldn't use chains due to bed clearances. Reason I was inquiring. Reckon Smart is out of the question. lol

Forgot you had mentioned that previously, I didn't put the SD & Iowa together. Yep, it will be much colder than you are use to down in New Orleans! Be sure to pick up hat, gloves, winter jackets and boots before October.

Smart cars are used around here in Minneapolis/St Paul all year. They even have a Car2go program where you can rent one by the minute and they are parked in various areas around the twin cities and you can leave them at many various other places

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Smart is fine in winter as long as they plow main roads. I drove mine as daily driver in Canada no issues at all. I was motoring when 4c4s were in the ditch.

Winter tires on all 4 must. Available.

Don't even need plowed roads! Put on a set of Blizacks - all four wheels - and it will plow through 6"-8" of snow with ease. Rear wheel drive, rear weight bias, and skinny front tires and it is like the early VWs were in the snow. With traction control and anti-lock brakes it is a beast!

We drove our '05 smart throughout several Northern Illinois winters with no issue at all. Not sure how to do it on the 451s, but on the 450s you could unbolt the sensor underneath the drivers's seat and flip it upside down to disable the stability control. Then you can throw it around on snowy roads and do doughnuts with abandon! Been there, done that!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Smart with a set of snow tires might work nicely. The car already has a good weight balance, rear wheel drive, and if it gets stuck just get 4 people and pick it up. :lol:

that's funny. But at 1700 lbs need about 10 men

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

KW wants a clearance from tire to body of 8" in the bodybuilder manual. Part of this is from SAE J683 tire chain prescribed envelope. But that is for commercial trucks. For RV's it is SAE J1214 but I don't know what the numbers are in that one.

KW wants a clearance from tire to body of 8" in the bodybuilder manual. Part of this is from SAE J683 tire chain prescribed envelope. But that is for commercial trucks. For RV's it is SAE J1214 but I don't know what the numbers are in that one.

Right on the money with 8 inches or more........

Grumps had a plan to use child-slave-labor to retire early by dropping me off up high at the Cultus River turn-out one entire Christmas vacation starting at 04:00 each morning and I was to get "RICH" by charging 50 cents per drive axle to chain-up log trucks before they headed up the steep spur roads and then I would unchain the rigs after they were would loaded with logs (free-unchain)...........as a VALUE-ADDED-SERVICE I would repair any broken cross-links and have the chains ready for the next time the trucker would make the next trip. 12 to 15 trucks made two trips per day so I was rolling in cash just from THIRTY chain-ups per day and at least $10 worth of cross-link repairs as well......BIG Bucks!!

Just before New Years a fair size blizzard was raging and the snow on the level was a bit over 3 ft but the graders and one dozer kept the road clear I was getting richer with every passing truck. Most nights I would ride out by hitching a ride with the road grader and then jump in his pickup and ride the rest way into town. Two days before New Years I was busy repairing cross-links when the last truck came rolling off the spur road but what I did NOT see was that the road grader sneaked by while I was trying to get a stuck chain latch undone and the driver was helping me so he failed to see the grader sneak by as well........so the driver ask if I wanted to ride into town with him but I said no I'll hitch a ride with the grader........so........it's dark by now but I have a pretty nice wood fire built and have a open top five-gal can with diesel that I can light off as well......I still have a few sets of cross-links to repair so I have my chunk of railroad rail for a anvil and a 4 lb hammer and chisel to cut and splice cross-links.......The blizzard really starts piling up the snow and after a hour I start to notice the woods are REALLY still NO noise ........just the sound of snow flakes with a very faint sound of a road grader...........and the sound is getting less and less as the grader gets farther and farther away from me and now I am just a RICH kid ALL alone on the side of a mountain in a blizzard......not to worry I have my napsack with some venison jerky and some raisins and crackers two old wool army blankets spare dry wool socks plenty of matches heavy clothes and two wool sock caps and a 30-30 ....... I had a tarp that was strung between two trees that I had put up a couple days ago and a heavy tarp that I used for ground cover for crawling under trucks so I placed it as a floor in my lean-to and then placed the five-gallon open top diesel in front of my "shelter" and then hiked down to the road grader fuel tank and stole a night worth of free diesel heat. The fire tools box next to the diesel tank had shovels pulaski's, coveralls and a bag of shop rags. I hauled the rags and a can of diesel over to my new home and soaked a big rag with diesel and draped it over the side of the open top can and lit the rag and bingo I had a new heating system up and running and good light and plenty of smoke as well.....it takes a while to get cold diesel to fume enough to burn without a rag-wick but once it fumes up then it burns fairly clean.

So as soon as I get my new “Home” up and the heat and light systems running it stops snowing and the clouds break and a BIG moon starts to light up the forest and then I hear the NOISE........splashing and more splashing in the Cultus River just a hundred feet up the road.........I grab the 30-30 and walk up the bridge and as I sneak out to the river edge I see a family of Otters having the time of their lives running up onto the snow banks and then sliding down the snow bank into the river and chasing huge schools of trout around the river and then they run up on the snow bank and start all over again....I watch the Otters play for a few minutes and then I notice that some of the trout that the Otters had chased had in a panic run themselves on to a gravel bar near the bridge........So what would a “rich-kid” do.......take off his insulated coveralls and roll-up his long-johns and wade out the the gravel bar and then have THREE fresh trout fried in shovel blade over the wood fire......not very good for the shovel but the trout were so good.......

Wrapped up in the blankets and the tarp next to the diesel fire with a belly full of fresh trout and a pocket full of cash.......life was not too bad.........

About 4:00 AM I hear the Grader rumble up the road and Ken hops out of the grader and hands a Stanley thermos cup of HOT coffee with a big grin ….........I ask did Grumps come over to your house last night......Ken said yep.........Ken told Grumps that I should have hitched a ride on the last truck.......Grumps just smiled..........Ken said maybe we should take the grader back out and get the kid......Grumps grinned and said “ no use going out to get him.......he is wanting to get “Rich” so what the heck he'll already be out at the turn-out when the first truck rolls in and he can get right to work”.

I suppose these days if left a 15 yr old kid overnight in a blizzard in the mountains with a 30-30 (yes it was loaded) and folks in town found out well …......some folks would get pretty up-tight.......

I was fortunate to grow up around folks that expected kids to learn to thrive and be prepared and enjoy the ride as best you can.........And yes I made HUGE money and bought a $300 old Army Jeep and that is another “adventure” for another day.......

Drive on..........(Oh the taste of FRESH “Shovel-fried-Trout"........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Dollytrolley, What a way to spend a Christmas. We grew in at the right time. We didn't have to worry about the many things that the kids off today have to face. I never had an adventure like yours but my brother and I had some great times. Pat

The Old Sailor

Dollytrolley, What a way to spend a Christmas. We grew in at the right time. We didn't have to worry about the many things that the kids off today have to face. I never had an adventure like yours but my brother and I had some great times. Pat

The Old Sailor

Hey Old.....right on....we as a whole were pretty darn lucky if we look back.....

Take this thread subject of tire chains.........back in the "Stone-age" us kids in shop class had a NEVER-ENDING supply of tire chains to repair supplied by the city, county, and school dist. snow plows............after replacing a FIVE gallon bucket full of cross links Mark Kurtz ask shop teacher Mr. Cathcart "now that I have perfected cross-links......when do I get a "new" project"?? Mr Cathcart smiled and walked over to a 5 gal bucket and kicked the lid and............it was full of warn-out snow plow street shoes .........Mr. Cathcart said Mark this is your lucky year.....by the time you get the next 30 gallons of shoe feet burned off and new ones welded on AND hard-faced you will then be a expert at both cross-links and .........shoes.......

Funny thing........Mark did become a expert at cross-links and shoes and..........he did not have to go into drug-rehab........we were too busy being "exploited" as "child-slave-labor"........and along the way we picked up a few skills that served us well in........ life.

Drive on..........(Ya we were "child-slave-labor".......but we did not need a smart-phone to get......"smarts")

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Dollytrolley, In my machine Shop class I machined weld quals for $.50 and I though i was king machinist. My machine shop instructor was the main reason I joined the Navy when I graduated H/S in 1965. That and they were starting to draft 25,000 a month for the Army. Big choice. Then you only needed $.05 to make a call! Oh well progress. Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived