2 Bad Windows Update Patches yesterday- Easy Fix.

RV_

I opened Outlook this morning on my main desktop. It was the wrong preset size and the trash would not empty, no pictures showed and I reset the size, the view pane, and to have the trash emptied on exit. The changes would not stick. I called Microsoft and Got a Tech support guy with their callback service in under a couple of minutes. I told him my Outlook in Office 2010 Home and business was messed up.

He asked me to look at the top and see if it was in Safe mode. I hadn't noticed but it was. He told me that two updates were bad and that they were working on replacements that should come down the Windows updates pipeline in a few days.

In the meantime to get my Outlook behaving again he told me to uninstall updates KB2760779 and KB3114409.

Here's how for Windows 7/8/8.1 (See below for steps to uninstall in Windows 10)

1. Go to Control Panel and open Windows updates.

2. Click on Installed updates in the very bottom left corner of the Windows Update screen, a list of updates comes up.

3. At the top right corner of the screen is a "Search Installed Updates box, click on it and type in KB2760779. It will come up alone and save you going squinty eyed and overdose on Visine© eye drops.

4. Right click on the update and click on uninstall, the only option that comes up when you right click it.

5. Be patient, it takes a minute or two by the clock to uninstall and it will say when it is done.

6. go back to the search box and put in KB3114409.

7. Right click on it and uninstall.

All Fixed!

For Windows 10 users:

1. Click the start button and then click on Update and Security.

2. Click Advanced Options.

3. Click View Your Updates History.

4. Click on Uninstall Updates.

5. At the top right corner of the screen is a "Search Installed Updates" box, click on it and type in KB2760779. It will come up alone

and save you going squinty eyed and overdose on Visine© eye drops.

6. Right click on the update and click on uninstall, the only option that comes up when you right click it. The click uninstall again in the box that pops up.

5. Be patient, it takes a minute or two by the clock to uninstall and it will say when it is done.

All Fixed!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Bill,

If both are on it, and they should be unless you did a manual update, I'd delete them both. It is a non issue because they said neither was a vulnerability bout rather performance updates, and both would be replaced within a few days.. Some performance improvement! :o:lol:

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

In the first post I forgot to include the different steps for Windows 10 users, I added it above and here it is again for those who could not figure it out in 10. Sorry, my main desktop is still running Windows 8.1 and when I went to fix my new Surface Pro 3 with 10 I realized it would be confusing so came back with those steps. Hope this helps.

For Windows 10 users:

1. Click the start button and then click on Update and Security.

2. Click Advanced Options.

3. Click View Your Updates History.

4. Click on Uninstall Updates.

5. At the top right corner of the screen is a "Search Installed Updates" box, click on it and type in KB2760779. It will come up alone and save you going squinty eyed and overdose on Visine© eye drops.

6. Right click on the update and click on uninstall, the only option that comes up when you right click it. The click uninstall again in the box that pops up.

All Fixed!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

It appears the Microsoft is still having lots of problems with bad updates. A couple of days ago a lady brought her laptop over for me to look at. It originally came with Windows 8.1 but had magically updated itself to Windows 10. :o

After a video driver update, it would only boot to a screen full of colored lines. After a few seconds, the computer would reboot and begin the process all over again. :(

I tried everything I could think of, but nothing worked to regain control of the system. In the end, I backed up her data, wiped the drive, re-installed Windows 8.1 and restored her data. The strange thing is that she had an ATI video card and I have not heard about driver problems with ATI before. I sure wish Microsoft would not force bad updates, especially drivers, upon their victims, err users...

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

On mine the KB3114409 failed to install 12/10/15

The other one not found.

I don't have MS office. I have been using OpenOffice for years on all my PC's

FireFox Browser & Thunderbird for email going through Mailwasher Pro first.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

They're only for Office Outlook guys, if you don't have it, you don't get the updates.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

The only bad ones were for Outlook in MS office. They were regular updates, not security updates. All that happened is they caused Outlook to load in "Safe Mode," which made it load only default settings. It worked fine but would not hold settings after shutting Outlook down. I had to resize the screen, and change the reading pane back to right. That's all, it continued to work fine.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

So that's why I didn't have them on my computers. Thanks Derek! Throughout this thread I was wondering why they are missing from the installed updates. Reading the entire thread before responding is prudent. -_-

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

No problem Ray. I do it all the time.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived