My Christams present. A UPS saga.

bruce t

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the feeling....... I ordered some things Monday (not presents) and am supposed to get an e-mail when it ships. Five days later no e-mail about shipping, but I did get two e-mails wanting me to buy more things.

Were you shopping on Amazon, too??? I ordered an item from Amazon on Monday. Items was listed as 1 of 6 in stock. I took the free shipping option. Amazon waited until late Friday to ship. I believe it is their way of encouraging me to sign up for Prime. Instead, it encouraged me to shop eBay. I am looking forward to Amazon asking me how my shopping experience was with that item. Not that they care.

Were you shopping on Amazon, too??? I ordered an item from Amazon on Monday. Items was listed as 1 of 6 in stock. I took the free shipping option. Amazon waited until late Friday to ship. I believe it is their way of encouraging me to sign up for Prime. Instead, it encouraged me to shop eBay. I am looking forward to Amazon asking me how my shopping experience was with that item. Not that they care.

You ordered something from Amazon with free shipping at their busiest time of the year and are surprised that it had a lower shipping priority than the paid shipping options???

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

OK being retired rom UPS maybe I can shed a little light on Christmas shipping during the holiday rush can be just crazy. First they move a lot of freight that is air on independent contractors direct instead of airplanes and still meet the so called commitment times (barely).Second they hire so many temporary drivers & helpers that are not as experienced they miss deliver parcels. I now work seasonally at Amazon and see them FLOOD the UPS system because UPS is stupid enough to say they can handle it and do not want to loose such a large shipper. The best thing I can suggest is be patient and nice to your driver as he or she is doing the best they can. Merry Christmas to all and ship early.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Well you could have Prime with Amazon and its suppose to be delivered in 2 days. The last deliveries I have had in the last 3 months and (I do quite a bit of shopping there), I have not received it in 2 days. I think only maybe a couple items on time. I understand the holiday thing as most of us do, but when its happening in Oct. there is a problem. Just remember as I was told, if you order on Friday you won't get it till maybe Tuesday. And that's how Prime works! So your paying for a service that only works part of the time!

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

OK being retired rom UPS maybe I can shed a little light on Christmas shipping during the holiday rush can be just crazy. First they move a lot of freight that is air on independent contractors direct instead of airplanes and still meet the so called commitment times (barely).Second they hire so many temporary drivers & helpers that are not as experienced they miss deliver parcels. I now work seasonally at Amazon and see them FLOOD the UPS system because UPS is stupid enough to say they can handle it and do not want to loose such a large shipper. The best thing I can suggest is be patient and nice to your driver as he or she is doing the best they can. Merry Christmas to all and ship early.

Ok, so I order something from a seller and they GUARANTEE shipment in a certain time frame. In this case I based my order on that time frame. I get the expected notification from UPS that it will arrive on the very last day of that time frame. All is good at this point. However the day before I'm to receive my goods UPS sends me a update saying do to problems I won't get my merchandise when it is supposed to be here. Now delivery will be next week, when I will be gone every day from before sun up till after dark. UPS will just drop the box on the front step and drive away claiming they have fulfilled their obligation. Chances are when I finally get home the package will be gone, taken by person or persons unknown. Seller will say they delivered, UPS will say they delivered, but I'm most likely out my merchandise because UPS didn't have the foresight to hire enough people. And I'm supposed to be happy with this. And no this wasn't Amazon.

TRUST ME, the seller has already been notified of this potential problem.

Joe

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

You ordered something from Amazon with free shipping at their busiest time of the year and are surprised that it had a lower shipping priority than the paid shipping options???

Uhhhh, yeah!! If Amazon wants to kill the Golden Goose, this is a good way to do it. It is not like they have to take extra steps. There is no advantage to slow-rolling an in-stock item. There are, however, disadvantages...such as unhappy customers.

Still silence.

Reading other posts I think the majority of the problems result from seller/suppliers over promising unrealistic results. Yeah and us customers believing them.

My problem is similar to Joe's. After tomorrow we will be away for 3-4 weeks. And it's a signed delivery. Last time this happened the parcel was returned to sender!!! My parcel is now 4-5 days over due. My problem is also compounded by the fact that UPS is not very big here in Australia. In fact it's very rare to see one of their trucks. So it gets passed onto a subcontractor and the parcel then disappears from their system.

Maybe it has gone via the North Pole. Now which North Pole would that be? Geographical? Magnetic? The one in Alaska?

That fat guy in the red suit is not getting any cookies this year.

Blah humbug.

regards

Maybe it has gone via the North Pole. Now which North Pole would that be? Geographical? Magnetic? The one in Alaska?

Have you checked your location carefully for any sign of a ransom note or message? :wacko:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just remember as I was told, if you order on Friday you won't get it till maybe Tuesday. And that's how Prime works! So your paying for a service that only works part of the time!

But I got a Saturday delivery on an item I thought would be delivered the following Monday so it can work both ways.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Uhhhh, yeah!! If Amazon wants to kill the Golden Goose, this is a good way to do it. It is not like they have to take extra steps. There is no advantage to slow-rolling an in-stock item. There are, however, disadvantages...such as unhappy customers.

Maybe some of the forum members that are working at Amazon locations can fill us in on why free shipments don't go out as fast as the paid shipments.

Dutch

Maybe some of the forum members that are working at Amazon locations can fill us in on why free shipments don't go out as fast as the paid shipments.

Might I ask why you believe that they do this? I have never seen any indication of that and have used free shipping in all but one situation.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Might I ask why you believe that they do this? I have never seen any indication of that and have used free shipping in all but one situation.

I don't know that they do, Kirk. "remoandiris" is the one making the claim. I don't have any problem with paid shipments getting priority though, since that's what they're paying extra for.

Dutch

I don't know that they do, Kirk. "remoandiris" is the one making the claim. I don't have any problem with paid shipments getting priority though, since that's what they're paying extra for.

Yep, I believe Amazon slow-rolled shipping of my "in stock" item to encourage me to sign up for Prime. What I ordered was sold by and shipped from Amazon.com with expected delivery between 11 and 16 Dec. It was ordered on 6 Dec and not shipped until 11 Dec. Kinda hard to be delivered on 11 Dec if it doesn't get shipped until 11 Dec.

I won't argue the point any further, but with the number of other shipping options available, I doubt they deliberately slow orders down just to push Prime subscriptions. If your order is received within the window specified, then they did exactly what they said they would, regardless of when the order was actually pulled, packed, and shipped. I'm done...

Dutch

I won't argue the point any further, but with the number of other shipping options available, I doubt they deliberately slow orders down just to push Prime subscriptions. If your order is received within the window specified, then they did exactly what they said they would, regardless of when the order was actually pulled, packed, and shipped. I'm done...

Good.

We have been receiving some orders before the projected delivery date, some after. This all started in the last few weeks so I figure it is the Christmas rush. Saw something in the paper that UPS did not anticipate the amount of pkgs. that they are delivering this year.

Well, having worked for Amazon the last two peaks I can say they hustle to get product out and they are very dedicated to doing so. What happens after it's out the door is the shipper's and even that can be gummed up by weather. I have recently had three orders, 3 fulfilled by Amazon and 2 by outside vendors all arrived before the estimated delivery date.

I could tell you about another national retailer that has seen Amazon cut into its market now trying to move into the internet selling, they have a long way to go. I ordered several dvd series to watch on our Alaskan trip last spring/summer, order was to be shipped to the local bigbox time 2 weeks. Received an email stating that that date was no longer possible but I would be contacted when the merchandise was ready for pickup. No sweat that was mid Feb we weren't leaving till second week in April. Never another word. Finally had to email customer service, as March was dwindling away, after a few days received an email stating nothing but your purchase is ready for pickup.

Sometimes we expect too much from the product of man.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

I fail to see what Amazon would gain by deliberately delaying any order and seriously doubt they have any mechanism in place to do so. I have had Prime for several years and buy from them often. I recall very few orders fulfilled by Amazon that arrived late. There were orders sold on Amazon by a third party where they were upfront and said would take a long time to come before I committed to buying. This is a guess, but I would say that 5 of 100 orders from Amazon itself came later than expected and maybe 5 in 25 orders from a 3rd party but sold through Amazon came late in the last couple years. Both are much better than I get buying some other places I shop online, like Sears. When I did have a late order, they not only offered to correct the situation from a financial standpoint but offered to spend 3x what product was worth just to get a replacement shipment to me ASAP.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Still silence.

Reading other posts I think the majority of the problems result from seller/suppliers over promising unrealistic results. Yeah and us customers believing them.

My problem is similar to Joe's. After tomorrow we will be away for 3-4 weeks. And it's a signed delivery. Last time this happened the parcel was returned to sender!!! My parcel is now 4-5 days over due. My problem is also compounded by the fact that UPS is not very big here in Australia. In fact it's very rare to see one of their trucks. So it gets passed onto a subcontractor and the parcel then disappears from their system.

Blah humbug.

regards

Bruce,

Maybe you could contact UPS and ask them to hold the package when it gets to your "local" UPS station. Let them know you will be unavailable and will pick it up once you return. That may not be the most practical thing for you, since you will have to find the "local" station, but they might also let you have them deliver it once you do return. Of course, non of this gets you the package when you were supposed to receive it.

Don

Don

I could be wrong, but I believe Amazon can and will redirect shipments while in route via UPS. I inferred this when they told me they could not do that because my late package was shipped USPS.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I could be wrong, but I believe Amazon can and will redirect shipments while in route via UPS. I inferred this when they told me they could not do that because my late package was shipped USPS.

With a free "My UPS" account you can make your own delivery changes and even electronically sign for shipments unless the shipper has locked those options. That usually only happens on "Direct signature required" shipments though.

Dutch

An update!!

6 days ago someone at UPS transferred my parcel to Australia post. It left their depot at 4.30 pm on that same day. So far it has taken 6 days to travel 700 miles.

So you see it's not just delivery in the USA that is over stretched.

US$55.00 and it still take two weeks!

regards

So sad. Parcel wont arrive until the 30th or later. Seems the folks at boarder security/customs decided to hold the public to ransom while negotiating a better pay deal They simply went on strike for a week. Strike started an hour or two after my parcel arrived. Today they say they will return to work but be on a go slow until their demands are met. These folks are public servants and are already on very good terms. Almost impossible to sack them.

I miss out on my present. But so do millions of others who had presents from overseas families sent to them for Christmas. In Australia unions have almost disappeared. Any wonder while they are run by selfish thugs.

Sorry I didn't want to get political but this a sad reflection about some folks selfish attitude.

Can't blame UPS or Australia Post after all.

We will be away for about 4 week visiting family. If the parcel arrives and is not picked up within 10 days it will be returned to sender.

Where's the spirit of Christmas gone?

Archived