New computer upgrade question

oldjohnt

I figure this is definitely a TECHNICAL and nerdy question and its RV related so here goes:

My old PC laptop uses Windows 8.1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I need a new PC and it will come with Windows 10,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I can get a free Windows 10 upgrade on my old PC (if I deem best).

I want to of course copy all my DATA and FILES from old to new PC and that can be time consuming (400 GB).

QUESTION is anyone familiar with or have experience with CLONING or DRIVE COPY or MIRROR IMAGE or GHOST or PC to PC copy/cloning Software such as Laplink or other brands ??????????????????

Im of the opinion it will be easier if I FIRST upgrade old PC to Win 10 before trying to clone or HD copy old to new, agree????????

The thing is Im trying to avoid (if possible) having to reinstall every freaking program needing all the Installation codes and software codes and Key Numbers and install data which I have accumulated over a few years. I KNOW A PROGRAM NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED DUHHHHHHHHHHH (not just copy data) but Im hoping there's software out there that will copy and install and clone an old to a new PC and I think some even do it with a USB transfer cable versus thumb drives or cloud data copy.

Im trying to get around having to RE INSTALL all my PROGRAMS (especially with all the keys and codes I may not have) by using some sort of Clone or PC to PC upgrade software which will re install my programs PLUS copy all my data. I have seen software that supposedly does all that but I have my doubts as in the past I have to spend days to acquire then install a program before I can copy and transfer data. ID REALLY LIKE A PROGRAM TO DO THAT VIA USB CABLE IF POSSIBLE. Please spare the discussions on keeping Windows XP or Vista or 7 or 8 blah blah blah lol, the new PC comes with 10 and I choose NOT installing Windows XP or Vista or 7 or 8 and using it for years to come with non compatible later software.....

Thanks in advance, I have upgraded for years each time I get a new computer, DOS to early WINDOWS then XP then Vista then 7 then 8 then 8.1 grrrrrrrrrrrrrr and it takes a ton of time to reinstall and copy each time THERE HAS TO BE AN EASIER WAY. Its NOT just upgrading for the heck of it, its more that I needed a new computer which necessitates the upgrades.

John T

There are software tools for moving data from one PC to another. Moving programs is an entirely different game. You are better off installing your programs on the new PC.

What is not obvious to what seems a simple solution of cloning a disk for the old PC to the new PC. Windows installations are tailored to the hardware of the PC. The clone of the Windows installation on the old PC will very likely not work well on the new PC. There are some procedures to clone and recreate the Windows installation but they are not for the light of heart.

Best is get to new PC, gat a data moving application and find your old program install disks.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Thanks Mark and Dale, So far from my latest research, Laplink 8 Ultimate PC Mover Software with a High Speed Ethernet Transfer cable looks best if I want to try it without all new software re installations. Otherwise the old fashion method of re install programs then copy data as you mention is how I will go........Still interested in other software experiences from yall

John T

An alternative to transferring files via cable is putting them "in the cloud." My data files are primarily years of digital photos which I keep in the Microsoft cloud. I have them set up so I don't have to be online to access them but they are easy to transfer to my next computer.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Why would you not just buy the new computer with Win 10, format the drive and install Win 8.1 on it, then do a full system backup of your Win 8.1 system, restore the backup to the new system which should be just fine with all your stuff there. Then upgrade the new one to Win 10 and all your programs, data, etc. will be in place and everything that will work with Win 10 will be there. With this approach you will have the system backup as well as the old system in case Win 10 doesn't like some of the old apps.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

doc, "An alternative to transferring files via cable is putting them "in the cloud."

I have all my files "in the cloud" on Carbonite already. Its been my experience a file transfer via a cable is faster then downloading off the cloud but I will check out which method (cloud download or cable) is faster.

Legend, The new one comes with Windows 10 already installed, not sure if I get installation disks or not. The old one has 8.1 and again I don't know if I have those disks.

While Laplink PC Mover and cable transfer sounds promising, I wouldnt be surprised for best results I just re install all programs on new computer and transfer DATA ONLY via the transfer cable.

Theres no free lunch and no easy way when upgrading, especially with a new operating system, Oh Well

Thanks

John T

I have all my files "in the cloud" on Carbonite already. Its been my experience a file transfer via a cable is faster then downloading off the cloud but I will check out which method (cloud download or cable) is faster.

If I have files in the cloud and mark them as "available offline" they will be downloaded to my computer over a period of time. I see no reason to insist that they be transferred quickly. What's the point? They're almost instantly available if needed before they are downloaded. I've almost reached the point where I can accept that they are ONLY in the cloud since there's little reason to insist they reside on my computer.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I use Microsoft cloud (called one-drive) and mark what folders I want to share. You could also just copy your data files to a CD and transfer them to your computer later which might be the least cost approach when compared to buying a cable and software. That's a good time to make a backup copy anyway.

I've upgraded three computers from windows 8.1 to 10 and my data files transferred over through the cloud with no problem. Windows 10 is a much better operating system than windows 8. I'd not recommend buying a new computer with windows 10 and then formatting the hard drive to return to windows 8 unless you have a lot of technical experience. Todays computers come optimized for whatever operating system they ship with. There are a few problems that can come up if you go back to an older system such as windows 8.

Easy thing to do is transfer the files you want to save to a CD. But then again, that does not help much with your question as to how to move software over. I've personally not had much luck with that other than just reinstalling it. I'd also have to think a lot of junk would transfer over to the new computer if you transfer everything. Some of that junk is what slows a computer down. I'd also be worried some of the drivers that came over would be out of date for the new hardware. Although that's fixable.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

i also agree, buying a win 10 then downgrading it to 8 would not be good.

prob i have seen with my clients going from 8 to 10 is some pic do not open, (depending on where they came from). altho this could be a long lasting process. best bet i think would be buy new one. install each an see if it works ok, if drivers are available for that os. just be glad you have a hard copy of the programs. an also i don't think when you buy a win 10 it comes with a disk. that animal has long been buried. (getting a disk).

aconis true image is great program, but cost $$

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Thanks again all, Yep I don't plan whatsoever to buy a new Windows 10 computer and take it down to Windows 8.

I DO PLAN to update the old one to Windows 10 BEFORE I try transferring it over to the new Windows 10 computer. That way Im transferring an HP with Windows 10 over to a new HP with Windows 10 which I think will help.

I already have all my data files backed up on the Cloud with Carbonite which works great and they are always available for download. HOWEVER when I update I may choose to simply plug up the High Speed Transfer Cable which will very quickly transfer the data from old to new without having to wait and let it run for hours and do it over the relatively slow internet versus a direct cable transfer which is so simple, easy and much faster.

Im still searching and studying and may try the Laplink PC Mover Ultimate (works on Win 8 or 8.1 or 10) OR ACONIS TRUE IMAGE with high speed transfer cable and doing it on an HP with upgraded Windows 10 (old one) to a new HP with Windows 10 (new one) and hope for the best. However, if it doesn't work I will simply re install my programs on new computer then use a transfer cable or cloud to transfer my data (which Im trying my best to avoid lol but will if necessary)

Thanks so much yall, this has been a fun education and the jury is still out on how I will perform the upgrade and transfer. I will let you know but it will be a few weeks before I buy the new computer and do the transfer (be it Cloud or high speed transfer cable, whichever is safest and fastest and easier) and/or re installation..........HOPE THE NEW WINDOWS 10 COMPUTER WILL MAKE IT LIKE YEARSSSSSSS BEFORE THIS IS NEEDED AGAIN

John T

I had basically zero problems with my upgrade to 10 from 8.1. I did this on 5 computers and only one had an issue - and that was induced by my overlooking the storage available on that machine. It did not have enough available disc for the W10 image. It died during the process and was unrecoverable. I had to reinstall the original OS environment to recover it. That process took 4 hours, but it worked. That machine shall remain 8.1. At least until I get around to really wanting to upgrade it.

As far as files moving over, all of them were on a backup disc (for each machine) but they all moved fine during the upgrade process.

As much as I do not like the networking on W10, it is still far better overall than W8 or 8.1. To me it is worth upgrading, for sure.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Of the two computers that I have updated to Windows 10, my Toshiba Satellite clearly has had the most problems with it. It successfully boots no more than 50% of the time. When it stalls it is typically at the very end of the boot cycle; the cursor simply won't change back from hourglass to arrow.

What I find fascinating (fascinating to a geek is different from fascinating to normal people :rolleyes: ) is that I can detect several different "mode modalities" for lack of a better name for them. Only one modality ends up in a successful boot, the others all stall but they are repeatable and distinguishable from each other. Maybe someone who is more familiar with the Windows boot process can explain how the same set of files can result in multiple, repeatable outcomes? It's gotten to the point where I can predict whether a particular boot attempt will be successful or not.

As I noted in a different thread, yesterday I "unchecked' fast startup in the hopes that would help to resolve this problem. Yesterday morning it took me ~10 boot attempts and today it only took two (and two more after a BSOD episode). I guess I have made some progress! :D And I haven't even yet downloaded that massive update that RV says makes things a lot worse! I can't wait to try that one!

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Well, that explains some things. I used that (now defunct) link to update both my computers. If I understand it correctly, the version I downloaded included the "buggy" November update that RV and others have discussed. I can only hope that some patches for it are issued before my machine quits entirely!

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Happened to me too. I created a USB drive for the truck computer and I went thru the update and I was still at the old level.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Hey guys,

That's very weird. I did not have any problems with the Threshold 2, version 1511. It just surprised me and started downloading/installing without letting me know how large a file was coming. I used no tool/s and did not do a clean install or create installation media. I just took it as an update from Windows updates. The tablet, laptop, and desktop all work fine after Windows 10, version 1511, downloaded and installed.

Mine all run fine (knocks on head.)

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Old John,

Back to your topic. There is no way to easily take an image from one computer, and restore the image to different hardware. And despite claims that it does work with the existing programs, I've never gotten one to work personally and am told by most to avoid trying to put one image on different hardware.

As for not having the activation keys, you can get the keys from most companies you bought programs from. If you find a reliable way to clone a system from one machine to another with different hardware please let us know after you succeed and how you did it.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

That's very weird. I did not have any problems with the Threshold 2, version 1511.

Toshiba just pushed a bunch of driver updates to my machine this weekend and so far, knock wood, things are a bit more stable. The last couple of reboots have gone without a hitch and the touchpad hasn't turned itself off once today! :D

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Drivers usually are the issue. Glad its working now.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

there is a program i used a while back to get software keys /activation from a pc. magical jellybean. download, run, an it will populate windows keys, software keys, you then can print them out for installing on another pc.

as for upgrades past few days i did 2. one from 7 -10 an 8.1 - 10. both took few hrs download time installing,an configuring. what i had my clients do is take all there photo's/doc's send to usb storage. then start process of upgrade. worked good. at few points there is a "lag time" but that is normal as windows is busy copying old files, to be processed with new drivers, ect

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

UPDATE Yo Wildman, I have downloaded Key Finder Jellybean and Recover Keys (free trial versions) and it appears Recover Keys is more comprehensive.

SO FAR I used Windows Update to upgrade old laptop to Windows 10 AND IT WORKED GREAT NO PROBLEMS SO FAR

Next, once I buy the new HP Windows 10 Laptop I may try Laplinks Ultimate PC Mover to transfer the old to the new HP Windows 10 computer, but if it don't work I will simply do it the old fashion way of reinstalling all the old programs (if they dont work after transfer) and copy the data either with the furnished High Speed Transfer Cable or download from the cloud where all is backed up on Carbonite.

I will let yall know how it works in a few weeks

John T

Good Luck, and do come back to do a summary of your expoeriences, and let all know which way you liked and which not.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Yo RV and Wildman and all others, another UPDATE. The Windows 10 upgrade (using Windows Update) install on the old laptop went smooth no problems HOWEVER after a couple days I now realize ITS A BIT SLOW despite all tune ups and upgrades and all being well and proper otherwise. I think I will take the old laptop back down to Windows 8.1, you just cant make a silk purse from a sows ear right??????????

I do like Windows 10!!!!!!! IT HAS THE START MENU BACK YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY and works more like my old Windows 7 plus has some new neat features.

After a lot of research on Microsoft and other Computer Forums plus all the great advice here, I have about decided when I get my new factory Windows 10 Computer, Im going to completely run a fresh new install of my programs and then use my High Speed USB Transfer Cable to transfer data and/or do it using my Carbonite Cloud backup or a Network method.

Theres no free lunch and I dont want to screw up a brand new computer the day I get it by trying short cuts and fancy supposed image or ghost or duplication software to try and avoid reinstallations and time. Right now the HP store as well as box stores and Amazon have good deals so I will probably order my new HP Windows 10 machine soon, Im looking at 8 GB of Memory and 1 TB Hard Drives with USB 2 and 3 and SD reader and HDMI ports plus Bluetooth which will suit my needs fine hopefully for years to come. One prob is which of my software may NOT run on Windows 10 grrrrrrrrrrrrrr but so far Im finding much of it will yayyyyyyyyyyy

Happy Thanksgiving Yall, God, Family, Country are my priorities and Im thankful and been blessed, its been a good ride

John T

i have found this thread interesting, as I am holding off updating from Win7 to Win10 for several reasons: (1) to build a new computer; (2) wait and see when Win10 becomes normalized; (3) waiting is to see if some of my older peripheral mfg's make drivers for Win10; (4) Win7 eally works well, and will be supported for several years to come. My laptop I'll upgrade, as I don't see how it can be affected, other than the removal of some of the free promo software which came with it, and which I still use.

Win10 removes user software without asking.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/218570-windows-10s-broken-fall-update-removes-user-installed-applications-without-asking-first

If you change hardware on your computer, Win10 will / may no longer activate when you start up and will require you to purchase the copy as new.

http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc%E2%80%99s-hardware/

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

This morning, after 3 blue screens in an hour and five unsuccessful reboots in a row, I gave up and reverted my Toshiba back to Windows 8.1. I didn't find Windows 10 to be such a big deal improvement that I cared from a performance standpoint and I couldn't deal with the repeated crashes any longer. My wife's Dell Inspiron has been fine with Windows 10 and hasn't crashed once. The revert process is available for the first 30 days after you upgrade and took less than an hour.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Archived