New computer upgrade question

oldjohnt

Glad that worked out for ya Joel!

I just bought a Surface Pro 3 i5, 128GB SSD, 4 GB RAM new in sealed box with pen for $500! Tracking by Fedex says it got here in town this morning so I should see it tomorrow. Company was going out of business. Originally was clearance priced at $700.

Windows 7 owners have an advantage in that you can get an external drive and do a Windows 7 System image and boot disk and at any time revert it to 7 as it was the day you made the image. I have one laptop that uses DDR2 RAM and had a 120GB Hard drive but was native Windows 7 but the drivers are not there so MS keeps refusing to upgrade it to 10.

Now that they have clarified what happened with the temporary stoppage for security gotchas, it looks like it is getting better weekly. But we will see.

I will be selling my ASUS T200 in a few weeks once I have copied over everything and loaded my programs on it and data. Then because I can't remove the SSD easily I will have to do a factory restore on it to clear it then do years of Windows update. But since it will essentially be a clean install, I will give the buyer the option to continue with 8.1 or upgrade to 10.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

My laptop had Win 8 on it when I got it, upgraded to Win 8.1, then to Win 10. Win10 is way more stable than 8 or 8.1 ever thought it could be. Everything is still on the laptop and is actually easier to find than before. I would upgrade to 10 and if you don't like the way your computer acts then go out and buy a new one.

It is not advertised a lot but if you upgrade tp win 10 and don't like it, Microsoft will allow you to revert back to the older OS within 30 days, it keeps the old OS squirreled away for that time. After 30 days the old OS is automatically cleaned off your system and you have to learn to like the new Win 10. Once I got used to the differences it is OK and yes, more stable than the older systems.

Good luck.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

I'll be updating my new Surface Pro 3 to windows 10 after I update its native 8.1 with all the Windows updates, my programs and data on it, then image it and upgrade to 10. I have a feeling that Microsoft will have the drivers for their tablet to run their new OS. ;) The Dell Venue 11 Pro my wife uses handled 10 perfectly as did her old HP full size desktop tower. I did not do the ASUS because they only made the T200 with the Atom Z3795 for a short time, as well as 64 bit Windows and 4 GB of RAM and an expansion SSD slot in the keyboard base that has an old slow Kingston SSD in it. So of sall our systems it is the riskiest, but I will try once I factory restore it and do all the Windows 8.1 updates, so I can sell it as already set up, with case and accessories. It has a built in Ethernet GB port in the base. It just does not have full HD just the old 720 HD. It is my sweet spot like the Surface 3 Pro is, 11.6".

I'll post back when I find out on both.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived